Newbie x-fer question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across an 84 60,beat up with tons of rust.......but with something I've never seen before.It has three sticks the 4-spd x-fer and one more at the bottom of the 4-spd shifter alittle to the right ,it says hi-lo on it .
What can you guys tell me about this? The treasure I hope it is ? or don't bother with it?

It sounds like you have a doubler. Get under that gem and have a look. If you have a pto-that's double cool, but I'll bet there is a low/crawler gear in that rig. Do you know the rig's history?

The only history I know is it's dented and rusted out all over,the sound of a doubler sounds sounds good

it did have quite afew miles on it over 130,000 if I remember right.
I did get the frt drive shaft off it tho (it has the double cardigan joint) for future SO,but with that case I may have to lengthen it

Dude, if that's a doubler I might just want it. I'll be in Indianapolis in a few weeks if you want to make a deal... :)

Rusty 1984? I bet it's a Fairey Overdrive. They used to be pretty common on Land Cruisers, especially early FJ60's. Does it sit right behind the shifter?

I doubt it's a doubler, those are pretty recent modification on the 60 series and most people investing in them tend to have pretty decent trucks, not rusty beaters.

Check the bottom of the unit, the Fairey OD has the name cast onto the housing.

Yea the shifter for it is right below the 4-spd shifter.It just has hi-lo stamped on the knob.It looks stock,but I've never seen one before so how would I know.Also the truck is no longer running,but all three shifters ran through the gears smoothly with a good feel of going into gear

Yes, sounds like youre describing the Fairey OD shifter. Nothing fancy, just round steel bar coming up through a round shift boot. Ball is also round (spherical) and black. Straight back behind 4-speed shifter.

It's actually a nice piece for a highway driven cruiser, if it is not broken.

Yep Jim that's exactly the way it looked.Guess it's not bother item.The 34's alrdy have given me high enough gears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom