Newbie - ABS problems and Exhaust Manifold Leak - Should I walk away? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am newbie in here, and have been searching for an ideal 100-series for weeks. Land cruisers has been a childhood dream for me, and I hope I'd be able to learn a lot here!
I don't know much about the technical aspects of cars, only the basics (changing oil and filters, etc.), so excuse any bad etiquettes. I am very willing to learn a lot and do stuff myself.

Recently, I think I found myself an ideal(?) truck and did a PPI on it: it's a 2000 Land Cruiser with 190K. 3 previous owners.
It has Timing belt service done recently. It also has ARB front bumper, and speaker and head unit upgrade done.
I haven't seen it in person, as it's a bit far away from me. (10 hr drive)

However, here were some problems found in the PPI:

- Needs valve cover gasket

- Exhaust manifold leak on left side

- ABS codes:
C0205 left front wheel speed sensor signal malfunction
C1223 ABS control system malfunction
C1246 master cylinder pressure sensor malfunction
C1252 hydraulic booster pump motor malfunction
C1256 accumulator low pressure switch malfunction

- Heat shield from both sides are not there

- Front wheel bearing left and right needs to be replaced
- Front rotors out of round

- Horn is not working

- Tires has a few nails here and there

PRICE: 9K - would this be a fair deal? or should I walk away?

I understand that trucks at this age are going to carry its problems, but I also don't want to be spending thousands on it after the purchase, especially considering it's a Land Cruiser.
I guess I am also pretty hesitant because I am new to knowing everything about LCs, just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks a lot!

Hello all,

I am newbie in here, and have been searching for an ideal 100-series for weeks. Land cruisers has been a childhood dream for me, and I hope I'd be able to learn a lot here!
I don't know much about the technical aspects of cars, only the basics (changing oil and filters, etc.), so excuse any bad etiquettes. I am very willing to learn a lot and do stuff myself.

Recently, I think I found myself an ideal(?) truck and did a PPI on it: it's a 2000 Land Cruiser with 190K. 3 previous owners.
It has Timing belt service done recently. It also has ARB front bumper, and speaker and head unit upgrade done.

- ABS codes:

- Horn is not working

I understand that trucks at this age are going to carry its problems, but I also don't want to be spending thousands on it after the purchase, especially considering it's a Land Cruiser.
I guess I am also pretty hesitant because I am new to knowing everything about LCs, just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks a lot!

How rusty is she? The ABS problems can get expensive and the wheel bearings will add up as well, but the exhaust and VC leak doesn't sound too intimidating.The price would be about right with minimal issues, Keep looking around one will pop up that is better maintained.

How rusty is she? The ABS problems can get expensive and the wheel bearings will add up as well, but the exhaust and VC leak doesn't sound too intimidating.The price would be about right with minimal issues, Keep looking around one will pop up that is better maintained.
I've seen photos of the undercarriage, and I would say it's a pretty normal amount of rust for a northeastern truck. Can't compare with a southern truck, but nothing too serious.

I've seen photos of the undercarriage, and I would say it's a pretty normal amount of rust for a northeastern truck. Can't compare with a southern truck, but nothing too serious.
I'd bail. My truck is aggressively maintained and driven gently. Loaded with all the fun off road accessories and I would probably sell it for under $15k. Keep looking around or get the cost way down on that one.

Keep hunting

6k Then its worth it in my opinion. ABS booster is like a 1k+ part

I don't know much about the technical aspects of cars, only the basics (changing oil and filters, etc.), so excuse any bad etiquettes.
Walk away and find one that doesn’t need as much work.

Hello all,

- ABS codes:

- Horn is not working

Thanks a lot!
Hello there,

I’m actually a newbie myself but felt inclined to provide some input. I just picked mine up recently for around the same price listed. I thought I was crazy as the rig has 280k, but was Toyota dealer maintained throughout. I mean the owner even bought tires at Toyota. So it was pretty extreme and it shows. I drove about 350 miles to have a look and just couldn’t let her go haha. I suppose I overpaid, but when buying are car like a 100series, it probably will only make sense to you and perhaps to the folks in this forum. When I began my search, I was looking for a 3rd gen 4Runner with a manual trans and rear locker. I cannot tell you how many of those I missed out on, whether it was hesitation on my part or just didn’t get to the ad in time. Then I began looking at LCs and for one day, and for some reason just got hooked. I just went for it As chances are, if you don’t pick it up, someone else surely will.

Ok now, with all that said, the truck did still require work given the mileage and age. Here’s a list so far:
1) Valve cover gasket — previous owner had denied work at Toyota. Cost = $560.
2) Coolant temperature sensor = $20-40 part I believe depending on OEM or aftermarket.
3) Coolant bypass- $600
4) Starter - $250 for part. Can do on your own, by I paid to have it done. (I’m no mechanic. Wish I was)

Things I am still working on:
1) Windows, possibly whole assembly or just motor. Will see.
2) Brake MC/booster pump ( this appears to be a heavy hitter, so trying to look for ways to save of this one). Brakes work fine, but will need the work sooner or later.

All this is basically just baselining the truck. Believe me, I’m ready to throw some fun stuff on the rig, but sadly it just simply has to wait.

Anyhow, just thought I would share. And I think bottom line is this, these rigs are aging and regardless of the reputation, they will require some work. I think it boils down to if it is worth it to you. I hope that as I put in the time and money, she will give back that much more. Just a little faith I guess. After all, it is a Land Cruiser baby!!!

As others have mentioned, $9K might be a little high for a pre-2003 (many improvements with that year) and immediate safety issues (ABS) that are costly to address. OTOH, if you had the same truck without any gremlins you listed (there will always be a few) you'd be spending $2-3K to get the bumper alone (assuming you'd buy it anyway). If you negotiated to 7K as-is, I think you'd be at a fair price assuming rust isn't an issue. Keep in mind, if you buy a "perfect truck" tomorrow, next week the ABS gremlin can bite---In many ways, you are better off with a good price for solid bones and building up from there...just my view.

I know I'll probably get some flames for this but, honestly, e-bay auctions represent a good picture of the list price market. I believe you'd see a totally clean southern truck with no issues will run north of $20K.

There's also the value of time and the cost to acquire. I made 2 trips to the south ($1000+ for travel) thinking I found the perfect rig only to find gross misrepresentation. Discouraged, I went back to the one "in the backyard" and negotiated a bit for known issues. Couldn't be happier with the outcome.

(I should add I've now spent close to the purchase price on upgrades and repairs -- do not go into a 20 year old LC thinking you don't have thousands of dollars of costs in the next 18 months)

As others have mentioned, $9K might be a little high for a pre-2003 (many improvements with that year) and immediate safety issues (ABS) that are costly to address. OTOH, if you had the same truck without any gremlins you listed (there will always be a few) you'd be spending $2-3K to get the bumper alone (assuming you'd buy it anyway). If you negotiated to 7K as-is, I think you'd be at a fair price assuming rust isn't an issue. Keep in mind, if you buy a "perfect truck" tomorrow, next week the ABS gremlin can bite---In many ways, you are better off with a good price for solid bones and building up from there...just my view.

I know I'll probably get some flames for this but, honestly, e-bay auctions represent a good picture of the list price market. I believe you'd see a totally clean southern truck with no issues will run north of $20K.

There's also the value of time and the cost to acquire. I made 2 trips to the south ($1000+ for travel) thinking I found the perfect rig only to find gross misrepresentation. Discouraged, I went back to the one "in the backyard" and negotiated a bit for known issues. Couldn't be happier with the outcome.

(I should add I've now spent close to the purchase price on upgrades and repairs -- do not go into a 20 year old LC thinking you don't have thousands of dollars of costs in the next 18 months)
Sounds like it’s been well worth it and really paying off huh? That’s great to hear.

I'm out here in Oregon, so i'm spoiled when it comes to rust-free vehicles. There is almost nothing worse that trying to wrench on a rusty rig. It makes easy jobs frustrating and difficult. I bought my LC about 3 years ago for $6500.00 from the original owner who was a Dr. and just drove his car to work, the Oregon Coast and Hood River for windsurfing. It was 100% stock and owned by someone who wasn't a car guy - it was just an old SUV to him. Its an 01 with about 185k. I jumped on the Craigslist post as soon as it hit. The guy's phone was ringing off the hook. He listed it based on KBB value so people who knew the value of the rig were on it. I convinced the guy to let me drive it even though he said he was only thinking about selling it when he posted the ad. I test drove it and it drove great. I told him I wanted it. I was prepared to pay his full asking price without negotiation because I knew he had it undervalued. After a lot of patience on my part, I was finally able to talk him out of the vehicle. I took it to a shop to do an inspection and it had 2 bad CV axles, 2 bad wheel bearings, a bad carrier bearing, needed brakes and I think there was one other issue, maybe an 02 sensor. I dumped about 3k into it fixing these issues and its been great ever since.

The main point of my story is that I've read on here more than once that these vehicles can really take a beating. This is great if you are the owner. Its not as great if you are searching for one. My rig drove great with bad cv's, bad wheel bearings, etc so if you buy from someone who neglects the vehicle, they can really get to a bad state of shape...mostly because they will allow you to continue to drive, abuse them and ignore the warnings for so long.

I'm with the others here who think you should pass on that rig and keep looking. That many codes tells me the PO didn't take care of it properly and who knows what else will creep up. One last note - I also own a 3rd gen 4Runner - absolutely love it. I will tell you, the LC costs more to maintain in every way. Full time 4x4 comes with more wear and tear and more maintenance in general.

Cheers

I'm out here in Oregon, so i'm spoiled when it comes to rust-free vehicles. There is almost nothing worse that trying to wrench on a rusty rig. It makes easy jobs frustrating and difficult. I bought my LC about 3 years ago for $6500.00 from the original owner who was a Dr. and just drove his car to work, the Oregon Coast and Hood River for windsurfing. It was 100% stock and owned by someone who wasn't a car guy - it was just an old SUV to him. Its an 01 with about 185k. I jumped on the Craigslist post as soon as it hit. The guy's phone was ringing off the hook. He listed it based on KBB value so people who knew the value of the rig were on it. I convinced the guy to let me drive it even though he said he was only thinking about selling it when he posted the ad. I test drove it and it drove great. I told him I wanted it. I was prepared to pay his full asking price without negotiation because I knew he had it undervalued. After a lot of patience on my part, I was finally able to talk him out of the vehicle. I took it to a shop to do an inspection and it had 2 bad CV axles, 2 bad wheel bearings, a bad carrier bearing, needed brakes and I think there was one other issue, maybe an 02 sensor. I dumped about 3k into it fixing these issues and its been great ever since.

The main point of my story is that I've read on here more than once that these vehicles can really take a beating. This is great if you are the owner. Its not as great if you are searching for one. My rig drove great with bad cv's, bad wheel bearings, etc so if you buy from someone who neglects the vehicle, they can really get to a bad state of shape...mostly because they will allow you to continue to drive, abuse them and ignore the warnings for so long.

I'm with the others here who think you should pass on that rig and keep looking. That many codes tells me the PO didn't take care of it properly and who knows what else will creep up. One last note - I also own a 3rd gen 4Runner - absolutely love it. I will tell you, the LC costs more to maintain in every way. Full time 4x4 comes with more wear and tear and more maintenance in general.

Cheers
They certainly drive like dreams. Interesting you pointed out that your rig drove great even with the bad bearings and CV axles. I guess that’s what may leave new buyers with the impression that these rigs are good to go right off the bat at 200-250k miles on them, when realistically it will need some TLC regardless. But that is also what makes them so remarkable and why many owners will spend the money to fix and maintain them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom