New vehicle paints going down in quality (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Hi guys,
In no way is this Landcruiser related, other then I own one. My "boss" recently picked up the new Dodge Sprinter (Mercedes with dodge stickers) for our work truck. Awesome machine with tops of room. We've had it for about 6 months now, after the winter we noticed a lot of little rust spots everywhere, almost like rock chips but in areas where no rock could possibly hit it. After washing the truck and waxing it a bit (which takes the entire day) the spots are still there. So my boss, pissed off that a $50,000 truck is rusting after 6 months went back to the dealer to bitch.
In the mean time I was talking to my auto body guy and he told me the new process for painting most vehicles:
1 layer water based primer, 1 layer paint, 1 - 2 layers clear. And due to volume the dry time between them is not strictly observed. What happened with the Sprinter is between primer and paint moisture got in or the primer did not dry properly, once the clear sealed it all in there were small air / moisture bubbles everywhere. During driving and washing they popped. So now the dealer wants to do touch-ups on the paint, we're gunning for a whole new paint job.
Cheap...expensive but cheap new crap.

interesting.... I have seen other new sprinters rusting away. I just noticed this the other day with a Purolator van. At the time I thought, Hmm what kinda crap is this?

Could also be rail dust. When cars are being transferred on trains, little specks of iron gets tossed into the paint and it could be those that are showing rust

This regrettably is not dust, this is actual moisture / air bubbles (very tiny) between the pain and primer. If you run your fingers over the paint or look at it when the light is reflecting you can see tiny pimples. In some of the areas on the truck where the rust already started you can actually push the remaining outside ridge of the paint in and watch it break off. Vehicles, during manufacture, should not be transported between prep and paint. If rail dust settles on them after the fact then it would not go through the paint. This is just crappy work. I have also noticed this type of finish on some other vehicles along with the latest FJC. Companies are choosing the cheap approach hoping it will last until warranty is over.
Even my 23 year old cruiser can handle rock chips better then the new paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom