New to me GX470, Mild build questions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Just getting into this whole scene. I've been more of a sports-car guy my whole life, but with kids and all that, it's just not practical. Plus, going to Moab earlier this year and getting out on trails with an ATV really made me want to try off-road/overland.

I just purchased a 2004 GX 470 with 205k miles from my mother-in-law who is the original owner. It's in amazing shape - she's never done anything fun with it! That's about to change. Unfortunately, I needed to future-proof it a bit, so I just dumped a bunch of my "fun" money into making sure it's mechanically solid - timing belt, front axles, oil pan was leaking, etc.

Thanks for reading my life story.

So. I am trying to start down the road of making it into a reasonable off-road/overland rig. I don't plan on doing any serious rock crawling, I just want capable. I picked up some wider 17" rims with Toyo Open Country AT tires off a Tacoma that I'll roll with for a while, keeping the stock rims with brand new Michelins for more suburban stuff. What I'm looking at now is a mild suspension upgrade - I doubt she ever replaced the original shocks in the last 16 years.

From my reading, 2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma coil overs will bolt right up in the front. The rear airbags still work, for now. I know Metaltech makes conversion kits to ditch the airbags in the rear. I have found some very reasonably priced, ($150 for 4 struts, 2 coils and UCAs) 3rd Gen (2020) Tacoma TRD Off-Road bilstein take-offs locally - front & rear. My questions are:

1) Are these OEM Bilsteins compatible? Front? Rear? What about the UCAs?
2) Is it worth it to save up and buy something else since what I have currently works?
3) Should I replace the rear air bag setup with traditional before they break (when they do, I will 100% move to a traditional setup) or just keep them until they die?
4) If the 3rd Gen taco rear shocks don't bolt up, are there any take-offs that would (Other gen tacos, 4Runners, FJs?)
5) Is there something I should prioritize over suspension?
6) Any favorite apps/maps/etc to find good trails?

Thanks everyone - trying to get into this with the family without it being overly expensive, at least to start!

I'm newish as well so the suspension answers are better from another source, but as for navigation apps.... Gaia GPS is fantastic. I used it on a TN TAT trip earlier in the year and it really worked out. It was my first trip of that type. Very much worth the price of entry.

My focus has been tires and recovery. Wildpeaks on stock wheels at stock height. Added recovery points and will probably add a hidden winch before a trip through AR in March. We touched bottom only once during a water crossing in TN.

By far the area needing the most improvement is the me, the driver; no point putting money into it for stuff I won't be able to tackle.

A YT'r I like is Lifestyle Overland. They use Gaia GPS and have a GX outfitted for overlanding. Kind of boring, but good for us GX owners. Poor guy gave the GX to his wife to drive on the trail. He is stuck with a clapped out T4R.

Later
S.

Thanks for the recommendation on Gaia. I'll have to download that.

Any links for how-tos or information on the adding recovery points & a hidden winch? I would love to add new bumpers for that, but it's just not practical, $ wise, at the moment. As soon as my tires wear out, I'll be picking up the Wildpeaks - my dad has been running them for a while on his Ram 2500 and loves them, and he does a lot more crazy stuff than I have.

I did find out via another forum that 2020 Tacoma suspension (F&R) will bolt up - the rear shocks just need a new bushing, which can be had on Amazon for about $10. So I'm off to get some TRD OR Bilsteins for cheap! Stock shocks I've got are probably dead after 205k. I also just read about replacing the front diff support, so I ordered one of those...

My front recovery points are the super simple Treaty Oak version. Hardest part was feeding the nut-on-a-wire down through the frame. They provide instructions.

My rear recovery point is the factory heavy hitch that I added along with bow shackle hitch insert. I would use only the heavy version of the hitch. It is not a trivial install but the instructions were thorough. Now I carry a box with bow shackles, kinetic rope, and various other bits and straps.

The hidden winch has been a waiting game with my 460 as no one has been making the mounts. Several companies have plans for them tho, so I wait. I had a winch on my jeep before this GX. It can take the place of expensive suspension as long as you are willing to get dirty sometimes. I ran basic all weather tires on the Jeep, but rarely got stuck, even in deep snow, but if I did the winch fixed it.

My thinking is likely flawed, but if I find a rut too deep one day, then a winch will serve just as well as 3in lift and 35s for much less money and daily ride hassle.

The last thing I added is an easily removable roof basket that attaches to the factory roof bars. Looks like a top hat, but is functional, easily removed, and pocket friendly. Made of Chinesium.

Here is a shot of it in action on the TN TAT. Next trip the red fuel can will be a flat marine unit used in small boats. It sits flatter and holds 6G instead of 5.

50141553131_09184ba64a_c.jpg

I did not end up sleeping in the back and thought hard about a roof top tent. In the end the RTT wasn't for me. Too hard to get down for my 1am pee break and it takes room where I want non-interior stuff, like fuel cans. That is a whole other discussion...

Here is a bad shot of the TO recovery point installed.
50141033178_b260fef487_c.jpg

Last edited:
For all the curious, 2020 Tacoma TRD OR suspension bolts up great!

Had no problem getting the front coil overs on.

For the rear, I had to push out and replace the eyelet bushings on the bottom, but other than that, piece of cake. It was a great and affordable way to replace my very old and blown out shocks with a newer, better option. I found a number of people locally selling low mileage, like new TRD OR takeoff Bilsteins.

The part you need for the rear shocks is Energy Suspension 9.8108G 3/4" Hourglass Shock Eye Bushing - here's the link to them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-9-8108G-Hourglass-Bushing/dp/B000CN9D4E

For the rear, I had to push out and replace the eyelet bushings on the bottom, but other than that, piece of cake. It was a great and affordable way to replace my very old and blown out shocks with a newer, better option. I found a number of people locally selling low mileage, like new TRD OR takeoff Bilsteins.

The part you need for the rear shocks is Energy Suspension 9.8108G 3/4" Hourglass Shock Eye Bushing - here's the link to them on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B000CN9D4E
Did it change the ride height or give any tire clearance?

Will the same thing work for a GX 460?

s

Seems to have given a mild lift, not much of one, maybe 1" - (if someone can tell me the stock height on stock rims/tires I can measure).

Regarding the GX460 - I am not 100% sure, but my basic online research suggests that this will bolt up to a GX460 as well.

The part you need for the rear shocks is Energy Suspension 9.8108G 3/4" Hourglass Shock Eye Bushing - here's the link to them on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B000CN9D4E
How has the TRD suspension held up for you? Might be doing it as well with added spacers.

How has the TRD suspension held up for you? Might be doing it as well with added spacers.

I've put on about 10K miles with no issues, on or off road. I've towed a big (for the GX470) trailer (~5000lbs loaded) over 2K miles, done mild/medium off-roading, and everyday driving, and have really enjoyed them. Zero complaints, it was a great upgrade for the dollars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom