New to me BJ74 AC just died! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
im a few weeks into my proud ownership of an 88 BJ74 with the 13BT, auto, and AC. The AC has worked wonderfully but shut it off this morning and came back to it about an hour later and no AC. :( P.O. Seems to have replaced the 24volt compressor with a 12volt unit running through a voltage reducer. I started there but that checks out fine. 24 volts jumpered to the clutch wire will engage the clutch, jumperingbthe pressure switch does not. Moved inside and pulled the dash switch but it checks good too. Any ideas? What to check next?

Pretty sure it isn't a leak but that is possible I guess. It was cooling great then an hour later on restart no clutch engagement. I can jumper power to the clutch and it functions but turning the AC on has no effect on the clutch. If I jumper the pressure switch still no clutch engagement telling me it isn't a low pressure problem... I think. I'll jumper the clutch tomorrow and run the truck to be sure the AC is still charged and cooling. Thanks

This may sound silly, but did you make sure the ac knob is switched to cold. The sliding level controls heat/tepid air temp and the crown dial surrounding the blow speed knob) controls AC temp.

This may sound silly, but did you make sure the ac knob is switched to cold. The sliding level controls heat/tepid air temp and the crown dial surrounding the blow speed knob) controls AC temp.

Not silly but yes. I also pulled the switch from the dash and checked it. It seems to be functioning properly

I don’t guess I’m ever going to learn this particular lesson. Always check the easy stuff first...
E6C6013C-2717-4965-8D59-9CE6CF4EB5C2.jpeg

Last guy to work on it must have been too lazy to put the clamps back on the hard lines along the left inner fender which allowed the line to rub against the very bolt that was designed to protect it. Ugh...

If it make feel better I spent two days trouble shooting an electrical issue on my old S4. It turned out to be a blown fuse in the kick panel.

Hello,

A reminder that sometimes a simple/small thing can cause a lot of trouble.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom