new tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBruce

SILVER Star
Threads
so yesterday I was just taking an easy dirt road and I got a rock puncture on my 4runner SR5 tires and it has weaken the belts. Most of you guys do the trails that I plan to do and was looking for some input.

I am thinking of Cooper STT Maxx, Toyo Open Country AT or ??? in a LT tire.My GX came 265/65/17 and I have been running 265/70/17 on 7" wheels. Now I am thinking of 265/70/17 or 255/75/17 or maybe even 255/80/17 (been told that they will clear, not 100% sure about this), so what tires are you running, saw a lot of Toyos at this months meet?

I've been running Cooper STTs for some time now and like them a lot. I think I got the last set of 5 in the country before the Maxx takeover. I think the Maxx's will be the equal but they were a fair bit spendier.

Oh, and last I checked they're American made.

We are running the Toyo RT's on Sara's 80. Aggressive all terrain, very quiet. Really like so far.

Personally I liked my red label General Grabbers over my Toyo MTs.

The real question is are you planning to run said tires year round? If so I'd stick to an AT tread pattern.

MT's are terrible in the winter. I have a set of Duratracs with studs for when roads turn white.

The STTs aren't bad in the winter used with a bit of caution.

thanks everyone

the plan is to get some ST Maxx in a week or two and the good snow tires for winter in Oct/Nov since I have extra wheels. Then I will just need to get to the dealer to code in the second set of TPMS

No reason not to get the Coopers. My buddy has the older Coopers, not the maxx. Same trail at the same time as me, my Kevlar MTR's looked new after running the scree and hitting it fast, he had chunks torn out of the lugs all over. Not looking to start a war, I'm cool with whatever anyone picks.

thanks everyone

the plan is to get some ST Maxx in a week or two and the good snow tires for winter in Oct/Nov since I have extra wheels. Then I will just need to get to the dealer to code in the second set of TPMS

Reading the measurement of the tires I was looking at, I Am looking at 255/75/17 or 265/70/17 and so now I am looking at Dick Cepek Fun County because I had FCII on my 87 Toyota pickup before and loved them

Order Dick Cepeks today in the 265/70/17, they run a bit larger, the site say 32" tall and 10.7 wide. Should have them Thursday

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Both tires are 265/70/17

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just to see how close the tire gets now

That looks real good. I like the sipes for the winter around here.

Looks great.

Any tire tub at flex, turning sharp?

None that I can find, I have only been on a little hill at the house.
With the running boards on, the tires only just touch them at around 50-75% of a full lock turn, but I didn't want to cut the boards, so they came off

Last edited:
IMG_2088.jpg

I saw some cool GX's in the mountains the last few weeks, get some sliders and your done.

I saw some cool GX's in the mountains the last few weeks, get some sliders and your done.

Thanks. Front & rear bumper come next. Spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom