New tires for Dig-Dug, Nitto Ridge Grapplers (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Ordered a new set of tires on Tuesday and they showed up Wednesday :D Mounted and balanced today. Heading up for a long weekend in the Asheville/Blue Ridge Parkway area tomorrow, so I'll throw 400-450 miles on them in a matter of a couple days. Planning to get some off pavement time with them.

I've been a pretty big fanboy of BFG, but in the interest of saving a few bucks I started looking around for other options. A friend in the tire business suggested this hybrid tread pattern from Nitto as one of his best sellers. I've run BFG KM2/3s for the last 10 years with one set of KO2s that I never really liked and sold before they were 1/2 done. On paper, these have very similar specifications. I'll report back on drivability, traction, noise, etc. as I put miles on them. I pulled actual specs from a couple tire sites to get the best info I could find. Both are E2 rated with 3860lb weight ratings and 65psi max. Although a couple places say the KM3 is rated up to 75psi. I'm not terribly concerned about that data point since I'm not towing anything of significant weight. I usually run my air pressures around 40 on the roads.

BFG KM3 - 315/75/16Nitto Ridge Grappler - 315/75/16
Actual diameter: 34.6"Actual diameter: 34.57"
Section width: 12.3"Section width: 12.32"
Weight: 74lbWeight: 73lb
Tread depth: 9/16"Tread depth: 1/2"
Price range: $311-328Price range: $263-278

Unmounted they look gigantic next to the same size, albeit flogged, KM3s. These old KM3s have been mismanaged the past year or so and the tread is wearing unevenly. Some spots are barely 3/32" tread.
1602793108279.png

A quick drive out for lunch and they are pretty quiet, but new rubber usually is unless your are running TSLs ;)
IMG_6809.JPG

Logged over 500 miles this weekend. Nothing wrong with these tires. Mostly highway driving, but did a fair amount of twisty pavement too up in western NC. Also ran a quick off road track up near Shining Rock and clambered over rocks and ledges without a hiccup. Didn't even air down, still running 45 psi.
IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

Where is that trail ?

Ordered a new set of tires on Tuesday and they showed up Wednesday :D Mounted and balanced today. Heading up for a long weekend in the Asheville/Blue Ridge Parkway area tomorrow, so I'll throw 400-450 miles on them in a matter of a couple days. Planning to get some off pavement time with them.

I've been a pretty big fanboy of BFG, but in the interest of saving a few bucks I started looking around for other options. A friend in the tire business suggested this hybrid tread pattern from Nitto as one of his best sellers. I've run BFG KM2/3s for the last 10 years with one set of KO2s that I never really liked and sold before they were 1/2 done. On paper, these have very similar specifications. I'll report back on drivability, traction, noise, etc. as I put miles on them. I pulled actual specs from a couple tire sites to get the best info I could find. Both are E2 rated with 3860lb weight ratings and 65psi max. Although a couple places say the KM3 is rated up to 75psi. I'm not terribly concerned about that data point since I'm not towing anything of significant weight. I usually run my air pressures around 40 on the roads.

Unmounted they look gigantic next to the same size, albeit flogged, KM3s. These old KM3s have been mismanaged the past year or so and the tread is wearing unevenly. Some spots are barely 3/32" tread.
View attachment 2466260

A quick drive out for lunch and they are pretty quiet, but new rubber usually is unless your are running TSLs ;)
View attachment 2466278

Bringing this one back from the dead, but I cant find many posts about these tires in this size.

Would you say these ridge grapplers run small or big in this size? ie. Is it more like a 34 or a true 35 when mounted and inflated?
I'm thinking of these same tires for my 80.

Thanks!

View attachment 2466260

View attachment 2466278
I’m getting these next, I run at2 extreme but they don’t make them any more

I did eventually figure out the sweet spot for me was 34-35psi in these tires for on-road performance. I've run these as low as 16psi and they did great off road.

I used to run the KM3s at 43psi on the road and drop down to 16-20 depending on the type of off road terrain. Above 40 psi just didn't give enough contact patch on the Ridge Grapplers and created more road noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom