New tires for 2000 LC- Colorado snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I apologize for not being able to find this answer here! It's time for new tires for our 2000 Land Cruiser. We just drive on pavement most of the time and snow a lot of times in Colorado. We have always had Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/70R16 tires. Those tires are backordered everywhere and it seems like Michelin maybe isn't making those tires anymore. Michelins tells the dealers there is no E.T.A. for getting those tires. We need a tire that does well in snow. Suggestions on tires that we can get soon?

I run dedicated winter tires, Nokian studded due to driving conditions. I'm not a fan of all weather tires.

I'm in Montana and drive heavily snowed forest roads which are icy 2-4 weeks. We put about 1000 miles a month driving to/from work and another 1500-2500 per month on trips around Montana.

I ran KO2's once and won't ever do that again as they get zero traction on ice.

There are many a threads here that will probably answer your question.

Goodyear DuraTrac in summer
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice in winter

Perfect combo for CO IMHO

Those defenders are some of the best all seasons for winter out there. That said not close to a true winter tire. I run Nokian Hakka’s in the winter.

Those defenders are some of the best all seasons for winter out there. That said not close to a true winter tire. I run Nokian Hakka’s in the winter.
Michelin is not currently producing the Defender LTX M/S in the 275/70 R16 size recommended for the 2000 Land Cruiser. Any thoughts on going with a 265/70 R16 size instead versus finding another tire?

I run BFG KO 2 year round. I've been living in Breck and driving in the snow for 25 years, and never had issues.

Michelin is not currently producing the Defender LTX M/S in the 275/70 R16 size recommended for the 2000 Land Cruiser. Any thoughts on going with a 265/70 R16 size instead versus finding another tire?
You likely wouldn’t notice any difference. Would be ~0.25” lower (tire is 0.5” smaller diameter) and 0.4” narrower. That said a 265/70-16 is almost the same outside dimensions as the 265/60-18 Hakka 7 I currently have on my ‘13 LX.

I run BFG KO 2 year round. I've been living in Breck and driving in the snow for 25 years, and never had issues.
You like them fine on pavement too? Are they okay on ice? Someone else here said they have zero traction on ice.

You like them fine on pavement too? Are they okay on ice? Someone else here said they have zero traction on ice.
I’m in Alaska, I’ve run KO2s as my summer tire for 8 years. I’ve had them in early season snow storms (as in September early October) Compared to the Hakkas they are pretty bad on hard pack and ice, so ok in fresh snow. If I lived somewhere with a mild winter, that is where running a dedicated winter didn’t make sense I’d run them year round. I’ve run dedicated winter tires on all my vehicles for ~30 years, makes a big difference in the winter and dosn’t cost more in the long run. I’ve always figured if it saves me from one wreck completely worth it.

I like them year round. Some said they don't work well on ice. We don't really get ice storms here, and they do a decent job plowing in winter.

I like them year round. Some said they don't work well on ice. We don't really get ice storms here, and they do a decent job plowing in winter.
We don't get ice storms either ;)

But we get melt, then freeze, repeated over and over for days. Thus driving on a thick base that can be nasty ice until we get temps that get rid of it.

Logging roads are fun

For any serious winter, there's no contest with winter tires. I have Bridgestone Blizzak DMV-2 winter tires and will be doing something else for the summer. Even going from all-terrains (not in rough shape) to Blizzaks, it was no contest. The winter tires feel much safer and controllable for me.

On the plus side, your summer tires will generally last longer this way with fewer miles. I would consider doing 5 tire rotations on both your summer and winter sets for ideal longevity, and making sure your spare isn't too tall when you need it.

In some cases, steel wheels will also do better with salt than aluminium, if you decide to buy a second set of wheels. When you buy winter tires, getting something a little narrower isn't a bad idea, like 245/75R16 over 265/70R16. Cheaper and should handle better.

I have decided to stay with the original size (275/70/16) and go with Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015s. There are being installed today, so we will see how they do. I read reports about them not getting close to the 60,000 mile treadwear warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom