New shock advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys....so I spent a good 6 hours at Mike Demeglio's place yesterday changing out some springs. We swapped my 4" for his 2.5". Love it, drives great....and Mike is the nicest, most helpful guy in the world......but I noticed a little knocking noise when turning this morning. It's fine when I go straight but I hear it when I turn the steering wheel. I rode down the street and did a little back and forth and could definitely hear it and feel it a bit. Any ideas what it could be or if something needs to be adjusted? Thanks!!

It could be a drag link hitting something. i think i remember you adding power steering, with the 40 setting a little lower the tie rod end might be coming into conflict. Did you install shorter shocks, or just replace the springs. lastly, since you just changed your springs, i would look for a loose shock bolt, and axle u-bolt, or a spring mount.

Last edited:
I actually went out to look and I think the shock is hitting the drag link...paint is rubbed off. I don't have PS but I think the shocks are probably too big. Do I just need different, smaller shocks?

Have a friend turn the wheel while you look underneath to see what is hitting what.

I get a knocking sound when turning right, but not left. I'll check to see what my issue is also, and let you know. I have -60 series TRES and knuckles, a 2/5" OME lift. curious what rubs...

Anytime you lift a 40 series and flex it out the shock will hit the bar. It should not under normal driving though so make sure everything is back tight. Did you change the shocks also when you did the swasp ?

yeah, if you left the 4" lift shocks on, you will need to change them out.

I ran into that problem with a SUA lift and welded a piece of 1/2 plate to the frame rail where the steering box mounts to the frame horn on the d.s. Effectively, this moves it 1/2" towards the passenger side and kept it from hitting the shock.

I took off my 4inch springs and put on the 2.5inch sprigs, but didn't change the shocks. That must be the culprit. I knocks with just normal driving when I turn, but you can see where it rubbed off the paint on the drag link. So do I just order shocks for the 2.5 inch lift? Can I drive it in the mean time for a little bit? I need to get it to Charlotte end of the week. :)

Unless you are just wanting pristine shocks drive it like it is. Now do not flex it too far up as it might max out the upward travel of the shock. But for normal driving you should be just fine.

Thanks all! I appreciate the help!

Think I'm going to go ahead and swap the shocks....I have no give at all on them in the front. Any thoughts on how to choose the right ones for a 2.5 inch lift, brands, etc? Thanks!

The easiest path is to order up a set of shocks that come with say an OME 2.5" lift or similar lift by another manufacturer. An alternate is to cycle the suspension, measure the full compressed to full extension and shop a shock with those numbers. You can also talk to those with a similar lift and see what they have and if they like them.

The easiest path is to order up a set of shocks that come with say an OME 2.5" lift or similar lift by another manufacturer. An alternate is to cycle the suspension, measure the full compressed to full extension and shop a shock with those numbers. You can also talk to those with a similar lift and see what they have and if they like them.

Yep-that's what I was hoping for here-suggestions and opinions from those that have 2.5 inch and what they do/don't like about their shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom