New Pioneer Head Unit on lx470 now issues and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched. I had a pioneer Double Din avh-x1500 installed by a local stereo shop. I picked up my Lexus from the shop and immediately noticed a buzzing noise that was definitely not there before. I've read this is common and commonly the factory amplifier is the culprit.

• The Buzzing noise only comes from the front passenger speaker, it does not come through on any of the other speakers.
  • The noise increases with RPM's
  • The right blinker also comes through on the passenger front speaker. The blinker sound is amplified but only through the p.s. front speaker and only the right blinker. The left blinker operates normally.
Will a new amplifier fix all this? Will most 5 channel amps fit under the P.S. in the stock location? Assuming this is an amp issue I am looking for recommendations on an amp that is inexpensive but easily an upgrade in sound quality. I'm not an audiophile, just have to get rid of the buzzing noise so the wife doesn't strangle me.
Thanks,
Tyler

Got the same issue, wish I knew how to fix it, besides putting the stock radio back in( which I don't have)

Mine was a light buzz, but I recently disconnected the battery and reconnected it and now the buzzing is really bad.... Total bummer, need to fix this somehow!!!

I've searched. I had a pioneer Double Din avh-x1500 installed by a local stereo shop. I picked up my Lexus from the shop and immediately noticed a buzzing noise that was definitely not there before. I've read this is common and commonly the factory amplifier is the culprit.

• The Buzzing noise only comes from the front passenger speaker, it does not come through on any of the other speakers.
  • The noise increases with RPM's
  • The right blinker also comes through on the passenger front speaker. The blinker sound is amplified but only through the p.s. front speaker and only the right blinker. The left blinker operates normally.
Will a new amplifier fix all this? Will most 5 channel amps fit under the P.S. in the stock location? Assuming this is an amp issue I am looking for recommendations on an amp that is inexpensive but easily an upgrade in sound quality. I'm not an audiophile, just have to get rid of the buzzing noise so the wife doesn't strangle me.
Thanks,
Tyler

Hello,
Some of the described reeks of hackery. Especially the blinker being in the mix. If nothing else, that should have been at least acknowledged.

As for the alternator whine. that is the bane of many aftermarket installs. Sometimes replacing the battery helps as well. Also, I would be exceptionally reticent to have whomever installed the H/U also install an amplifier.
Best
Jack

I have a pioneer double din in my LX, it has a slight buzz/fuzz that is especially noticeable at low volume. I've never been concerned to fix it though, just happy to have some decent equipment in my 15 year old truck.

There is another thread here tilted "double din" maybe... Has some ideas for fixes for the buzzing.

I have tried many things to eliminate the buzz in my Kenwood DNX 7140. The next project is to replace the factory amp.

Search on here for "ground loop isolator"...

Thanks for the replies thus far. I know the buzzing is a common issue once aftermarket H/U is installed. The common fix is a new amp or amplifier bypass. I've read the threads. I too feel this reeks of hackery since just one speaker gets the buzz and that same speaker amplifies the blinker signal. I will take it back to the installer and give them a chance to troubleshoot. I did rush their install since the Lexus was needed for a roadtrip to Colorado.

1. Any recommended amps that are stock location compatible,
  2. a good value
  3. and less than $200 Amazon/ebay pricing.
  4. I am assuming amp install is straitforward. Can factory wiring be used? I plan to do the amp install unless any here have had good success with an amp bypass kit. The H/U built in amplification seems like it may be sufficient for my needs.
Thanks,
Tyler

Yeah, just buy a ground loop isolator from radio shack and that should fix it.

It's better than bypassing the factory JBL system. Which is the real fix but just takes more time.

Sent from my iPhone, please embrace the typos

I replaced my head unit on a 1998 LX470 last weekend. Had a bad case of alternator whine post install.

What I found (and keep in mind that the Aus LX wiring is slightly different in that we have a different connector ) is there is a wire that is according to the wiring diagram called "S Ground" and there was nothing for this to connect to from the head units harness.

So I wound up connecting that to the chassis of the head unit and the whine issue was resolved.

Check the source of positive for the new head unit. Many "installers" will tap the closest thing they can find and that's not always ideal. In North America cars the amplifier supplies power to the radio via a loop through harness.

The ground idolaters are a good suggestion. You may also want to chassis ground the head unit, that is run a ground wire from a bolt on the body of the new radio to a close ground point in the dash.

This may help http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/05/land-cruiser-lx-470-stereo-wiring/

I had a similar thing in my Ozzie LX470.
My end result was by-passing the factory amplifier completely.
This is a relatively easy job.
However, you mentioned that it was done by a local stereo shop.
They should rectify this.

This is relatively normal on aftermarket head units on amplified stock sound systems. You need to splice in a ground loop isolator. You can pick on up a Radio Shack or any stereo shop.

Stereo Buzz

you must bypass the stock amplifier. I struggled with this for a month before I figured it out. I tried lots of things like running directly off battery and noise filters etc. Get the metra harness and bypass the stock amp. I did not add an aftermarket amp, Put a gps/stereo into my 1999. Works awesome now!!!

It is the stock amp...wanna bet

I agree that the hum is likely coming from the stock amp. However, properly isolating the amp from the head unit should cure it without having to take the amp out completely. After all, the factory amp presumably did not hum when it was used in conjunction with the factory head unit. Thus, the stock amp should be capable of working without buzzing if properly grounded and isolated.

Be aware as mentioned earlier that the power to the head unit comes from the amplifier, so is the ground.
When unplugging the amplifier, the head unit will not work untill you change over the wires.

Thanks for all the input thus far. The lx spent the night at the stereo shop. They put about 7 hours into the amp install. Prior to that they put in 3 hours figuring out a ground loop isolater wouldnt fix the buzzing. I'm in colorado now. The wife picked up the lx at noon today and said all is well. They said the intall times were so long because they were mentoring a new technician. I did order the lx470 trim piece on ebay for $30 coming on the slowboat from china. The stereo shop couldn't find anything through their supplier (mantra?). The shop went to install the fascia and it was the wrong piece. It belongs to the rav4:mad: we contact the seller in china. They will send us the correct piece but asked for $29 and we could try to sell the rav4 fascia ourselves. Our order receipt clearly shows we ordered the lx470 fascia. Unbelievable. I know some on here have had good luck going this route with the beatsonic clone. Not us. We started this venture happy with our current stereo just wanting an aux input. $750 later...and I've still got factory speakers:doh
Hopfully this thread helps others as they navigate their stereo upgrades.
Tyler

I hope you didn't pay for the 7 hours of training?
Glad that the noise is gone.
Next time listen to us, as we told you it is the amp. ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom