New Motorcyclist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, I'm getting into this new hobby to try to get better fuel economy than my 60 while having something I can get my speed fix from. I plan on taking a motorcycle class at the local college to learn some safety techniques while taking my road test. So with this cool new job at Toyota I'm planning on buying my first bike and I'd like some suggestions.

One of my co-workers is selling an '05 Yamaha YZF-R6 with 4700 miles in absolute mint condition. I've been reading review after review online and it seems like a moderately fast bike that handles really well on the road. Aside from price, what would you guys recommend for me?

2005 Yamaha YZF R6 Streetbike - First Ride & Review - Motorcyclist Online

2005 Yamaha YZF R6 Reviews, Prices, and Specs

2005 Sport Motorcycle Reviews, Prices and Specs

Rad but hold the boat on that 2005 R6 and take a look at the 2006 R6. Hmm...that's odd I just happen to have one for sale too and you get the GP style exhaust, slipper clutch and fly-by-wire throttle...and I can give a MUD deal too!
IMG_1911.jpg
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1908.jpg

For a beginner a r6 is a lot of bike I would suggest something not as fast and something more forgiving. The ninja are good starter bikes along with the dual sport bikes.

I see a lot of r6 cbr 600, zx-6r wrecked and when I talk the guy they usually tell me they just got the bike and the they only put a couple hundred miles on it.

Rad but hold the boat on that 2005 R6 and take a look at the 2006 R6. Hmm...that's odd I just happen to have one for sale too and you get the GP style exhaust, slipper clutch and fly-by-wire throttle...and I can give a MUD deal too!

You seem to be in Washington. If that's WA state, then it's a bit far for me.

For a beginner a r6 is a lot of bike I would suggest something not as fast and something more forgiving. The ninja are good starter bikes along with the dual sport bikes.

I see a lot of r6 cbr 600, zx-6r wrecked and when I talk the guy they usually tell me they just got the bike and the they only put a couple hundred miles on it.

I've read this a lot as well. I was originally planning on getting something slower but I have a couple of co-workers that are going to teach me how to ride and in addition to the course I'm going to take, I think I'll be alright. I'm definitely not the hot-rodding type and will take my time getting used to the roads around here in addition to the bike.

A bunch of my best friends from home have 600's and are also going to help me out, so I feel good about it!

Hey guys, I'm getting into this new hobby to try to get better fuel economy than my 60 while having something I can get my speed fix from. I plan on taking a motorcycle class at the local college to learn some safety techniques while taking my road test. So with this cool new job at Toyota I'm planning on buying my first bike and I'd like some suggestions.

One of my co-workers is selling an '05 Yamaha YZF-R6 with 4700 miles in absolute mint condition. I've been reading review after review online and it seems like a moderately fast bike that handles really well on the road. Aside from price, what would you guys recommend for me?

2005 Yamaha YZF R6 Streetbike - First Ride & Review - Motorcyclist Online

2005 Yamaha YZF R6 Reviews, Prices, and Specs

2005 Sport Motorcycle Reviews, Prices and Specs
"...moderately fast"? Yep. And my wife only got "moderately" upset with me when I was late for our anniversary dinner(while on a business trip) and she had to eat with my boss til I got back from riding Harley's with a client.

I second the idea of a standard bike to learn on first, then go the sportbike route if it suits you. If not, only do it if you can truly keep your head together and not try to ride above your abilities on the R6?

What will kill you is your ego and your mind getting ahead of your actual abilities a couple weeks into riding. "Wow, this isn't so hard. I can keep up with you guys now, no problem." You're roadkill at this point, or shortly thereafter.

And not to be a wet blanket, but don't forget your helmet. Spend the coin on one that fits perfectly. Don't buy it because the graphics match your bike. I love Arai's because they fit my melon head. Shoei's just don't fit. Definitely a difference from one to the next. Try on a bunch of them first. Lots of other good ones out there now for less than a couple hundred bucks. Read the reviews in Motorcyclist. I know they had good things to say about a couple cheap ones awhile back. Forget the brands. Shark? maybe?

Good luck.

Last edited:
I second the idea of a standard bike to learn on first, then go the sportbike route if it suits you. If not, only do it if you can truly keep your head together and not try to ride above your abilities on the R6?

What will kill you is your ego and your mind getting ahead of your actual abilities a couple weeks into riding. "Wow, this isn't so hard. I can keep up with you guys now, no problem." You're roadkill at this point, or shortly thereafter.

And not to be a wet blanket, but don't forget your helmet. :)

Good luck.

Everyone I have talked to, including those who are going to help me learn to ride safely have stressed the notion of riding to your ability level and not above. I used to ride snowmobiles a lot and used the same technique of riding and it worked well so I am going to try that.

As for getting a standard bike first, I was originally thinking of doing that but the bikes in this area all seem beat to hell and the owners are charging too much. This R6 I'm looking at has 4800 miles, was perfectly maintained and was literally never driven faster than 110mph. I know this is a good bike and above all, whatever bike I buy I want to make sure that I'm not spending good money on a POS.

Before I go anywhere on this thing, I am going to take the course and buy a protective jacket. I already have a full face DOT helmet that I plan on using unless it is too hot in the summer heat.

Any place where I could look to buy a cheaper, standard bike? Cheap as in 1.5k? If I buy a cheaper bike I need to do it without a loan, and 1.5 to 2k is my cap.

I ride in the heat a lot and hate it worse than 40 degrees. FWIW, keep the helmet on all the time. Buy one that vents well and you won't look back.

You're right about buying a POS for not a lot less. 4800 miles is nothing if ridden and maintained. I have 11,000 on my CBR and wouldn't think twice about it. 2500 of those miles were in 2 days so a good stress test. Buy it and ride it carefully with a good helmet. Words to live by, literally. :)

I ride in the heat a lot and hate it worse than 40 degrees. FWIW, keep the helmet on all the time. Buy one that vents well and you won't look back.

You're right about buying a POS for not a lot less. 4800 miles is nothing if ridden and maintained. I have 11,000 on my CBR and wouldn't think twice about it. 2500 of those miles were in 2 days so a good stress test. Buy it and ride it carefully with a good helmet. Words to live by, literally. :)

Will do! My helmet is a DOT snowmobiling helmet so it has lots of insulation. I'll definitely ride it, but depending on how hot it is, I might buy a summer helmet.

11,000 miles, eh? I feel good about this R6 then.

You'll be amazed at the difference between a snowmobile helmet and even a cheap motorcycle lid. I wore the kids cheap snowmobile helmet the other day and about drove me nuts. Wind noise(which will drive you crazy on the highway) was terrible, didn't fit right. Yuck. Wear ear plugs too. Seriously. I have my Ipod/radar/phone/communicator plugged in, and with the ear plugs they drown out the road noise but let the good sounds come through great.

I had 20,000 something on my 95 VFR when I sold it. That was over 2-3 years. Buddy had the same bike at the time and finally totaled it with over 40,000 on it a few years ago. Buy it and don't look back. Be safe.

You'll be amazed at the difference between a snowmobile helmet and even a cheap motorcycle lid. I wore the kids cheap snowmobile helmet the other day and about drove me nuts. Wind noise(which will drive you crazy on the highway) was terrible, didn't fit right. Yuck. Wear ear plugs too. Seriously. I have my Ipod/radar/phone/communicator plugged in, and with the ear plugs they drown out the road noise but let the good sounds come through great.

I had 20,000 something on my 95 VFR when I sold it. That was over 2-3 years. Buddy had the same bike at the time and finally totaled it with over 40,000 on it a few years ago. Buy it and don't look back. Be safe.

Gotcha. My helmet wasn't cheap back when I bought it ( $300 ) but I haven't worn it in a while. We'll see after the first few rides!

Thanks for the good advice. I'll let you know if I end up buying it.

My R6 has a little over 11k turns and isn't even broke it really. A friend of mine has 25k on his 05 R6 and it runs like a top...It all depends on maintenance!
DOT standards are SH!T, go with a snell rated helmet. I rock a shoei. It was expensive but you've only got one noggin. It's super quiet, has plenty of vents and fits like a glove. You want your helmet to fit tight but not too tight to get a headache, the padding will break in after time.
I worked at a motorcycle shop for awhile and a helmet rep came in to demo some shoei lids and to explain the difference between snell and dot ratings. It was super helpful and after the shoei presentation I bought one...yeah they're that good.
A word to the wise...painted road markings and stripes are slick as hell in the summer, ride aggressively but defensively (you have to watch out for those cars cause they aren't watching out for you), never ride next to a semi or any other vehicle for that matter and wear a damn helmet with a snell rating. Get a good leather jacket and gloves too....it may seem a bit warm in the summer but if you went down you'll certainly regret it if you aren't. I'd rather be warm/hot than have most of an arm/shoulder missing. Oh yeah...it's not if you'll wreck but when...It happens to everyone who rides. It's only a matter of time! Oh yeah get insurance if you wreck or even drop the bike it's about $400/fairing.

www.aerostich.com

More cool stuff than you can ever use. Roadcrafter II. Great suits. Especially if you ride in the heat. I've got about 50,000 miles on my current suit. Slid once in it with only a couple little scuffs. Save 10% by picking them up in person in Duluth, MN. Awesome ride. Saved 10% on both of mine :)

You'll find all helmets fit differently. Sessions must have the "Shoei" head. I have an "Arai" head. Rounder, shorter vs. longer,skinnier. I fought with a few Shoei's for awhile til I figured out it put pressure points right across my forehead. I thought it would get better, but just never did. Like he said, buy it so it's almost too tight going on. Once you break it in, you'll lose a size at least and it will get too loose at 80 mph. If you buy the wrong helmet for your head type though, you'll fight with it forever. Do a lot of trying on before you buy.

Snell vs DOT is an ongoing battle. My facts might be old, but as I recall, Snell basically tests for higher speed/longer slide(i.e "race") type scenarios. DOT tests sudden impact(curb/bumper to head), slower (i.e Real world) scenarios. I forget the distances dropped from, but they are different and DOT almost makes more sense to me now, though all my lids have been both Snell and DOT approved. Not really sure where I stand on it to tell you the truth. I just love my "Profile". Comes with replaceable cheek pads to better tailor the fit too which I like.

Anyway, enough rambling about helmets. Did you buy the bike yet? :)

Read the Motorcyclist Mag comparison. Top notch info to help you decide.

My R6 has a little over 11k turns and isn't even broke it really. A friend of mine has 25k on his 05 R6 and it runs like a top...It all depends on maintenance!
DOT standards are SH!T, go with a snell rated helmet. I rock a shoei. It was expensive but you've only got one noggin. It's super quiet, has plenty of vents and fits like a glove. You want your helmet to fit tight but not too tight to get a headache, the padding will break in after time.
I worked at a motorcycle shop for awhile and a helmet rep came in to demo some shoei lids and to explain the difference between snell and dot ratings. It was super helpful and after the shoei presentation I bought one...yeah they're that good.
A word to the wise...painted road markings and stripes are slick as hell in the summer, ride aggressively but defensively (you have to watch out for those cars cause they aren't watching out for you), never ride next to a semi or any other vehicle for that matter and wear a damn helmet with a snell rating. Get a good leather jacket and gloves too....it may seem a bit warm in the summer but if you went down you'll certainly regret it if you aren't. I'd rather be warm/hot than have most of an arm/shoulder missing. Oh yeah...it's not if you'll wreck but when...It happens to everyone who rides. It's only a matter of time! Oh yeah get insurance if you wreck or even drop the bike it's about $400/fairing.

Are those frame sliders everyone advertises any good at protecting the fairings? It seems like a cheap and effective way to save some $$ in case of a slide.

www.aerostich.com

More cool stuff than you can ever use. Roadcrafter II. Great suits. Especially if you ride in the heat. I've got about 50,000 miles on my current suit. Slid once in it with only a couple little scuffs. Save 10% by picking them up in person in Duluth, MN. Awesome ride. Saved 10% on both of mine :)

You'll find all helmets fit differently. Sessions must have the "Shoei" head. I have an "Arai" head. Rounder, shorter vs. longer,skinnier. I fought with a few Shoei's for awhile til I figured out it put pressure points right across my forehead. I thought it would get better, but just never did. Like he said, buy it so it's almost too tight going on. Once you break it in, you'll lose a size at least and it will get too loose at 80 mph. If you buy the wrong helmet for your head type though, you'll fight with it forever. Do a lot of trying on before you buy.

Snell vs DOT is an ongoing battle. My facts might be old, but as I recall, Snell basically tests for higher speed/longer slide(i.e "race") type scenarios. DOT tests sudden impact(curb/bumper to head), slower (i.e Real world) scenarios. I forget the distances dropped from, but they are different and DOT almost makes more sense to me now, though all my lids have been both Snell and DOT approved. Not really sure where I stand on it to tell you the truth. I just love my "Profile". Comes with replaceable cheek pads to better tailor the fit too which I like.

Anyway, enough rambling about helmets. Did you buy the bike yet? :)

Read the Motorcyclist Mag comparison. Top notch info to help you decide.

The helmet I have has a pressure point right in the middle of my forehead, so maybe it is time to buy another one. I always used to pack a hat to wear after riding to cover up the red patch on my forhead after a ride.

Haven't bought the bike yet!! I'm trying to do my homework on this sport before diving into it with a 6k investment in just the bike, let alone the jacket, gloves, pants, etc..... I am going to have to go to a store now and try on some different helmets to see how they feel.

By the way, do all leather riding jackets cost $700??:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keep the advice coming!! I've been reading the articles out of the "Riding Tips" section of Sport Rider to get an idea for what it's going to be like. There was a really good article about how to drive in urban traffic, so I'll keep working my way through there.

Are those frame sliders everyone advertises any good at protecting the fairings? It seems like a cheap and effective way to save some $$ in case of a slide.

The helmet I have has a pressure point right in the middle of my forehead, so maybe it is time to buy another one. I always used to pack a hat to wear after riding to cover up the red patch on my forhead after a ride.

Haven't bought the bike yet!! I'm trying to do my homework on this sport before diving into it with a 6k investment in just the bike, let alone the jacket, gloves, pants, etc..... I am going to have to go to a store now and try on some different helmets to see how they feel.

By the way, do all leather riding jackets cost $700??:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Keep the advice coming!! I've been reading the articles out of the "Riding Tips" section of Sport Rider to get an idea for what it's going to be like. There was a really good article about how to drive in urban traffic, so I'll keep working my way through there.
Sounds like you have an "Arai" head. :) I used to get that exact same red spot with my old Shoei(still awesome helmets BTW if they fit your head). Looked like I slept all night on a waffle maker.

I don't have any sliders, but I would expect them to be well worth the money. The wind, or some soft hot asphalt in a parking lot, will eventually get you when you least expect it. When I hit a deer it cost about as much as blowing over in a parking lot once way back when. Good insurance IMO.

You don't need to spend $700 for just a jacket. My advice would be to shop the clearance rack at Aerostich. Some smoking deals if you find the suit that fits. Even new they are well worth the money. Especially if you ride in the heat a lot. You can actually pack the outside pockets with ice if it's ungodly hot. Never needed to yet though.

Sounds like you have an "Arai" head. :) I used to get that exact same red spot with my old Shoei(still awesome helmets BTW if they fit your head). Looked like I slept all night on a waffle maker.

I don't have any sliders, but I would expect them to be well worth the money. The wind, or some soft hot asphalt in a parking lot, will eventually get you when you least expect it. When I hit a deer it cost about as much as blowing over in a parking lot once way back when. Good insurance IMO.

You don't need to spend $700 for just a jacket. My advice would be to shop the clearance rack at Aerostich. Some smoking deals if you find the suit that fits. Even new they are well worth the money. Especially if you ride in the heat a lot. You can actually pack the outside pockets with ice if it's ungodly hot. Never needed to yet though.

Good to know! I'll keep on the lookout for an Arai helmet then.

Here's another twist. The owner of this R6 that I've been looking at gave me his price: $5300!!! In the email he sent me he attached a PDF with the NADA and KBB values for the bike, which are 6k and 6.3k, so I feel like he's giving me quite the deal. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Yamaha 2005 R6 Blue Book Price.pdf
    186.4 KB · Views: 342
Probably not a bad price if it's clean. Any accessories, pipe, etc? I just looked in my paper today and there's a 05 CBR600RR for $6500 w/1800 miles. He'll never get that though IMO. I bought my 04 600RR for $5300 4 years ago used with 1000 miles. 05's are newer versions w/good updates, but it's more like a $5000 bike at most around here.

I would do some looking before you write the check, but around here used sportbikes go pretty cheap I think compared to the rest of the country. KBB and book values don't mean much IMO. They are always on the high side.

Probably not a bad price if it's clean. Any accessories, pipe, etc? I just looked in my paper today and there's a 05 CBR600RR for $6500 w/1800 miles. He'll never get that though IMO. I bought my 04 600RR for $5300 4 years ago used with 1000 miles. 05's are newer versions w/good updates, but it's more like a $5000 bike at most around here.

I would do some looking before you write the check, but around here used sportbikes go pretty cheap I think compared to the rest of the country. KBB and book values don't mean much IMO. They are always on the high side.

True true, I'll look around a bit more. Here they're pretty expensive I bet because there are so many months out of the year that you can use them. I don't know if there are any upgrades, but I'll find that out when I see it later this week.

x a bazillion on Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear. The hardcopy catalog is at least a 3credit course in motobiking.

I've been riding since 91, have low speed/parked dropped every bike I've owned, totaled 2, worked as a motocourier in LA, been rear-ended Atlanta freeway traffic, and ridden from Abq - MN, ATL-DC & Abq-LA.

I encourage anybody interested in riding to take both MSF riders courses on their recommended schedule. The 'experienced' rider course saved my bacon once when a wheelbarrow tried to kill me on a mountain road.

Wear All the Gear, All the Time, and fill out the organ donor section of your drivers license.

Some GREAT tips on this website, but warning for graphic photos. Live to Ride - Ride to DIE

If you can get a helmet that is both snell and dot rated that would be best. If you are riding a sport bike get the best equipment and wear it all the time! DOT standards are pretty low IMO. I've got puck sliders and they are great however for optimal protection buy some race rails, longer bar ends and front and rear spools. Not that the spools will offer protection but you never know what will hit when your bike goes down. I use AIG for my bikes, 2 full coverage and it's like $35/mo for 6 months. That's cheap in my opinion and the deductible is only $500 that's about the same cost for a new gas tank or set of fairings. I really like Arai helmets due to the construction of it and the fact it's hand made. The fiberglass is cross woven which makes for great strength and protection. I would have bought one but our helmet rep didn't carry Arai so I got a $700 helmet for $200 (shoei). Both Arai and Shoei helmets fit my head just fine I just got a better price on my shoei.
With the jackets go with leather, it offers much better protection. It does get a bit warmer though. I've got both and on the really hot days I wear my textile jacket but if I'm riding hard I rock the leather. I'd also recommend buying some riding boots, not danners or like boots but actual moto gp racing boot style. It may seem over the top but ask anyone who has wrecked wearing shoes or flip flops.
Thats a good point about being an organ donor!!! The best time to get organs is in the summer....go figure! The bike books between 4600-5400 so your seller is in the ball park. It's like buying a cruiser...look for service records, upgrades and overall cleanliness. I'd buy a new chain and sprockets, tires and service it before I would ride it...that could be another $700 or more but good piece of mind. Do the oil change yourself if you know how....I just had a friend take his bike to a small shop for an oil change and about 50 miles later he totaled it....they didn't tighten the oil filter all the way and it coated his back tire and high sided it on the freeway going about 70mph and almost got hit by multiple cars passing by..Do it yourself to know it's done right.

All good information guys, thanks! I'm definitely taking it all into consideration.

Here's another question. After the summer I'm going to be back up at school and I won't have a garage to store this bike. My only option looks like I'll have to buy a storage place which looks to be about $60 a month after all the taxes. Would you guys buy it even though it has to be stored in some storage place for 6 months out of the year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom