new member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
iyangruyere.com
Hi everyone, again lol. My name is iyan (pronounced and sometimes spelled like ian) and i stumbled across a high desert cruisers meetup yesterday morning while out to get breakfast! Everyone was so friendly and I am really looking forward to future meet ups.

I drive a ‘92 BJ73 that i bought a couple of months back, from a nice family near my old home in Washington, who had imported it the year prior from Spain. It’s got a factory intercooled 2.5l turbodiesel engine manufactured by VM Motori, paired to an H55F and part time transfer case. Not sure about the diff ratio, unfortunately, but thanks to the help of a handful of you yesterday, I discovered it has a full floating rear axle :cool:

The truck (side: is that what you call a Land Cruiser? “Car” doesn’t seem to do it justice but I’m not sure if truck is accurate either lol) just ticked over 227k km on the odo, and the engine seems to run pretty well for what it is. These engines have a pretty bad reputation across the board; they were installed in Spanish and Portuguese 70-series, as well as some mid-90s Jeep Cherokees and Range Rovers, the Ford Scorpio, and a handful of other Euro-spec light duty vehicles. The issues stem mainly from above the block: the head bolts manage to work themselves loose over time and are required to be retightened on a jig every 70k km as part of regular maintenance, and the head itself comes in four parts, one for each cylinder, which as you can imagine makes head and valve cover gasket blowouts a pretty frequent affair. That said, I’m doing my best to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb until I can save up for a fresh motor down the line. If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them! My ideal swap would be a 1HD-FT, but I’d be open to a 1HZ, 2.8 Cummins or even a Mercedes OM606 if that’s what’s available.

Other mods I’m interested in are a modded FRP “truck” top, a small lift and maybe some sort of roof-mounted tent or canopy after seeing some of the great ones you all have on yours. Though I’ve been warned that some of you will attempt to coax me into doing loads of upgrades that have nothing to do with any of that, so fair enough ;)

Anyway, here are some pics!
EB7E8AB5-4C27-4150-A356-60F24892F7D9.jpeg
B851B75E-3745-4D06-9DBE-E97E6F792F86.jpeg
87917289-2EF6-4CF0-AF9F-C9E9A93946CD.jpeg
8B4B3504-E4FE-42FB-802E-DE299B2540BD.jpeg

It has a carpet, rear bench and two jump seats that are in the garage, as I just moved here and am driving around a bit each morning picking up furniture, scrap lumber, bricks and soil for my garden. If anyone has a good lead on some used firebricks let me know!! I’m hoping to build a wood burning oven in my yard and will happily have you all over for pizza once that’s allowed.

Hi everyone, again lol. My name is iyan (pronounced and sometimes spelled like ian) and i stumbled across a high desert cruisers meetup yesterday morning while out to get breakfast! Everyone was so friendly and I am really looking forward to future meet ups.

I drive a ‘92 BJ73 that i bought a couple of months back, from a nice family near my old home in Washington, who had imported it the year prior from Spain. It’s got a factory intercooled 2.5l turbodiesel engine manufactured by VM Motori, paired to an H55F and part time transfer case. Not sure about the diff ratio, unfortunately, but thanks to the help of a handful of you yesterday, I discovered it has a full floating rear axle :cool:

The truck (side: is that what you call a Land Cruiser? “Car” doesn’t seem to do it justice but I’m not sure if truck is accurate either lol) just ticked over 227k km on the odo, and the engine seems to run pretty well for what it is. These engines have a pretty bad reputation across the board; they were installed in Spanish and Portuguese 70-series, as well as some mid-90s Jeep Cherokees and Range Rovers, the Ford Scorpio, and a handful of other Euro-spec light duty vehicles. The issues stem mainly from above the block: the head bolts manage to work themselves loose over time and are required to be retightened on a jig every 70k km as part of regular maintenance, and the head itself comes in four parts, one for each cylinder, which as you can imagine makes head and valve cover gasket blowouts a pretty frequent affair. That said, I’m doing my best to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb until I can save up for a fresh motor down the line. If anyone has any recommendations I’d love to hear them! My ideal swap would be a 1HD-FT, but I’d be open to a 1HZ, 2.8 Cummins or even a Mercedes OM606 if that’s what’s available.

Other mods I’m interested in are a modded FRP “truck” top, a small lift and maybe some sort of roof-mounted tent or canopy after seeing some of the great ones you all have on yours. Though I’ve been warned that some of you will attempt to coax me into doing loads of upgrades that have nothing to do with any of that, so fair enough ;)

Anyway, here are some pics!View attachment 2592145View attachment 2592147View attachment 2592149View attachment 2592150
It has a carpet, rear bench and two jump seats that are in the garage, as I just moved here and am driving around a bit each morning picking up furniture, scrap lumber, bricks and soil for my garden. If anyone has a good lead on some used firebricks let me know!! I’m hoping to build a wood burning oven in my yard and will happily have you all over for pizza once that’s allowed.
Here's some music to listen to while you" can stop worrying and learn to love the BOMB" Groundhogs album: "Thank Christ for the Bomb" circa 1970 LOL:rimshot:🎆

Here's some music to listen to while you" can stop worrying and learn to love the BOMB" Groundhogs album: "Thank Christ for the Bomb" circa 1970 LOL:rimshot:🎆
Omg, thank you for the suggestion, these guys rock!! I’d never heard of them before but am gonna keep an eye out at record shops now.

Anyone else has any recommendations, I’m all ears! My budget is going to be fully split between the land cruiser and my record collection :grinpimp:

Omg, thank you for the suggestion, these guys rock!! I’d never heard of them before but am gonna keep an eye out at record shops now.

Anyone else has any recommendations, I’m all ears! My budget is going to be fully split between the land cruiser and my record collection :grinpimp:
Funny, when I was listening to rock in 1970, I never heard this group , either, but I listen to KUNM every sat 10 pm, Psychedelic Radio Head Shop, and heard a cut from one of their albums. Now I have Groundhog 4 CD's, all are solid, IMHO.
Really, like your 4x4 and hope you get it built up like you want it. Thanks for fixing up old iron and keeping it on the road, where they should be.

Funny, when I was listening to rock in 1970, I never heard this group , either, but I listen to KUNM every sat 10 pm, Psychedelic Radio Head Shop, and heard a cut from one of their albums. Now I have Groundhog 4 CD's, all are solid, IMHO.
Really, like your 4x4 and hope you get it built up like you want it. Thanks for fixing up old iron and keeping it on the road, where they should be.
Thanks so much for the kind words and for the tip on the show; I used to listen to KEXP, Seattle’s university station, psychedelic/70s rock program and wondered if there would be a sibling show here! Looking forward to tuning in.

I’m not sure if outside links are permitted here but I came across both of these albums in the last couple weeks and have been totally mesmerized by both. they’re a bit more subdued and folky, but worth checking out if you are unfamiliar :)

Beverly Copeland - Beverly Copeland (1970)

Pentangle - Basket of Light (1969)

Last edited:

Anyway, here are some pics!View attachment 2592145View attachment 2592147View attachment 2592149View attachment 2592150

Hey Iyan! It was cool meeting you Saturday. Nice ride!

If you need rocks for your project let me know. All I can offer is hard limestone, but I have plenty of it.

Though I’ve been warned that some of you will attempt to coax me into doing loads of upgrades that have nothing to do with any of that, so fair enough ;)

See now the first thing you're gonna wanna do here is get yourself some rock sliders that double as air tanks for a double compressor that mounts under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom