New member introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
My name is Matt, and my wife and I live in Costa Rica. Originally from Bend Oregon, we were recently in Idaho before moving south.
I have a 2013 79 that I bought in January 2022 with 66,000km. It has the 1HZ motor, and no options other than the alloy wheels. I added the Old Man Emu +50mm front coils and rear leafs with their BP-51 reservoir shocks, expensive, but night and day difference in ride quality. The rack is an ARB base rack, with a shower, surfboard rack, and some Baja designs and Auxbeam jungle illuminators. Next project is retrofitting Morimoto 7” headlights in the factory housing (lights before lockers, right?!). It is sitting on 265/75/R16 tires, and I will probably put 34” (ish) tires on once the springs settle. Once new tires are installed, we decide if it needs re-geared, or a little turbo. I like the factory bumper over the ARB cow pusher, and will probably install a factory winch in mine. ARB lockers will probably be the best option after gearing is decided. This all begs the question “why not just buy a new one with a V8, winch, and lockers?”, and the answer is they are hard to come by used, and a new one is currently listed in SanJose CR for $127,000 USD!!! The import tax here is ridiculous- so we will plug away on this one for another decade.
Thanks in advance for all of the information on this forum!
Here are 1st day and current pictures.

Whoops, pictures didn’t show up, 2nd attempt.

706245DC-A2A6-49F6-9355-7865F759195A.jpeg

02EEA168-E2A8-465F-83F7-8934477BE11F.jpeg

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

If you choose to install a turbo, make sure it is a low pressure (up to 8 psi) one. It will provide a welcome increase in power without affecting the 1HZ's reliability.

Juan

Hello,

Welcome to the madness.

If you choose to install a turbo, make sure it is a low pressure (up to 8 psi) one. It will provide a welcome increase in power without affecting the 1HZ's reliability.

Juan
…… and an Intercooler. 😊

Hello Charles,

Thank you for reminding me of that detail.

Heat affects the 1HZ's reliability.

Juan
Juan, Don’t ever agree with me on this forum, it will destroy all of your credibility. 😁

Juan, Don’t ever agree with me on this forum, it will destroy all of your credibility. 😁

Hello Charles,

Duly noted.

However, notice that I have neither ego nor credibility to worry about.

I wish I could have the eye you have with your camera when it comes to spot landscapes.

Juan

Agreed, a low boost intercooled motor is going to be happiest. I turbo’ed my 2002 GMC 6.0 gas motor, and it was reliable for years at 7psi, and tended to eat 4L80E transmissions over 12psi… My issues might be solved by regearing when i install lockers, but I wont know until the bigger tires are installed. 95% of my driving is under 40kph, and I barely have enough grunt to make it up some of the steep grades in second gear. My previous truck had an Edelbrock supercharged 6.2 L86, so everything feels kind of slow after that! Luckily, I’m not in a hurry down here!

Hi Matt,

79 owner here in Costa as well. Came across your post as I just installed BP51’s.

Good luck with your move and setup!! Always keen to compare mechanics, mods etc!! So give me a shout any time. I’m up in Guanacaste.

Sorry I missed you guys. In Panama headed further south…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom