New Member Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

New member checking in and saying hi. I bought my 1996 LX450 almost two years ago from my step father who owned it since 2002 in eastern Washington State. It's in great shape, very little rust to speak of which is a rare occurrence here in VT. It gets lots of compliments when she's all shined up and has been a blast to bring back to life. I got it with 163,000 miles and just crossed 179,000 this weekend.

I've done a decent amount of basic maintenance over the past couple years, some myself and some I outsourced. New wheel bearings, calipers / pads / rotors, egr valve and associated parts (chasing p0401 for years,) OME stock height springs and shocks, helper air bags in the rear, 33" BFG K02's, and most recently the PHH, valve cover gasket, and a brand new engine wiring harness courtesy of my EGR pipe. Lots of little fixes as well and I had the hood and hatch repainted due to rust under the rear window (now she's rust free) and spider cracking on the hood.

Up next is a new exhaust system as my stock system has been patched up one too many times and has reached the end of it's life. I like the idea of sticking with Toyota parts but not so much the price, so we'll see what happens there.

Looking forward to being part of the community! Thanks all. Requisite pics below.

Fresh off the truck from Washington!

IMG_6245.jpeg

As she sits today (recently removed the roof rack though)

IMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_0613.JPG

Congrats and welcome.
A great looking truck you got there.

Dig around and do some research. There are ways to source oem exhaust that has lasted you 20+ years at better than MSRP.

That said. A quality mom n pop shop given guidance on what you are after often fits the bill well here.

Magnaflow y pipe
New cat/cats of choice.
Muffler of choice
Routing of choice
And should be out under $1-1500

Other options are oem $ but durable

Or Borla with its well documented issues but still not terrible option

Thanks! Yeah I’m itching to figure out the exhaust. I think a visit to a quality shop is a good next step. From what I’ve read the fit and quality of the steel is similar between the magnaflow and oem y pipe, so I’ll likely go magnaflow and go from there. Part of me thinks I should get the oem while I still can though. Decisions…

Appreciate the feedback.

Good for you. Nice truck. Recently required some exhaust work after cats stolen. Looked into “milking” the insurance I pay for. State Farm offered $600 to take care of it. FYI fun fact for ya OEM Lexus cats were quoted at $4027 (not installed). Yada yada now I’ve got new MagnaFlow stainless from manifolds back. Replace muffler/tailpipe later when needed…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom