New Member - 460 vs 470 debate for "high-mileage" traveler - leaning to 460 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All:

I've read through the different threads on the topic of 460 vs. 470. I currently have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux which is an incredible highway traveler but with two kids who are playing mite and squirt hockey I'm running out of room. I previously had a JKUR lifted with 35s that I purely loved but I was doing 4k miles a month for work and it just wasn't fun. I'm now doing roughly half that due to COVID but I expect to return to about 2.5k - 3k miles a month when we return to normal. I miss having something I could go wheeling in. Furthermore, the Touareg is extremely expensive to maintain and goes out of warranty in October. With that said on paper, it looks like the GX would work perfect for me. After looking at the models I think the pre-2014 GX460 and GX470 are the best-looking model years.

I think I've got the pros and cons down and I'm leaning towards the 460 for the following reasons:

• I have a 4k lb ski boat that I tow to the lake and plan to do more towing trips over New England - more power in the 460
  • More difficult to find rust free lower mileage 470s in new england
  • 3rd-row seats built into the floor - may not use often but will be nice for when the kids want to go somewhere with friends
  • Reliability on-par with 470
  • Timing belt vs. chain
  • parking sensors & cameras (I live in the city)
  • flip up window on the barn door

All of the pre-2014 460s I've found in my price range have 80k miles. Given the amount I expect to be driving, any concerns about an 80k mile gx? Anything that I haven't considered? Thanks in advance.

Hi All:

I've read through the different threads on the topic of 460 vs. 470. I currently have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI Lux which is an incredible highway traveler but with two kids who are playing mite and squirt hockey I'm running out of room. I previously had a JKUR lifted with 35s that I purely loved but I was doing 4k miles a month for work and it just wasn't fun. I'm now doing roughly half that due to COVID but I expect to return to about 2.5k - 3k miles a month when we return to normal. I miss having something I could go wheeling in. Furthermore, the Touareg is extremely expensive to maintain and goes out of warranty in October. With that said on paper, it looks like the GX would work perfect for me. After looking at the models I think the pre-2014 GX460 and GX470 are the best-looking model years.

I think I've got the pros and cons down and I'm leaning towards the 460 for the following reasons:

• I have a 4k lb ski boat that I tow to the lake and plan to do more towing trips over New England - more power in the 460
  • More difficult to find rust free lower mileage 470s in new england
  • 3rd-row seats built into the floor - may not use often but will be nice for when the kids want to go somewhere with friends
  • Reliability on-par with 470
  • Timing belt vs. chain
  • parking sensors & cameras (I live in the city)
  • flip up window on the barn door

All of the pre-2014 460s I've found in my price range have 80k miles. Given the amount I expect to be driving, any concerns about an 80k mile gx? Anything that I haven't considered? Thanks in advance.

80k is baby mileage in a 460. I've got 137k and you wouldn't even know it looking at it and driving it. Our 470 has ~173k and it actually feels stronger and better mechanically than our 460. The 460 is definitely more comfortable if you're taller and or a bit on the heavy side. Honestly the 3rd row in the floor is a negative, I don't like losing those vertical inches for cargo space. The 470 seems slightly more friendly to modding if you're going that route. Also, towing is about the same on both and I would have no issue with towing that or any boat with either to be honest. They both have a 6,500lb towing capacity rating.

My pros and cons for each so far are below, and remember this is based on my experience owning both. In the end my wife and I love both and we are glad we have both. I feel like the GX is the perfect platform for about any need really, minus the go fast need that is. I'd kill for a roots/screw supercharger on either or both to fix that. ;)

Pros:
-Easier to work on (engine bay has more empty space) inside and out.
-Throttle/steering feels a bit more lively and direct. It feels almost like a jackrabbit compared to the 460--in a good way.
-Removable 3rd row seats.
-More rear cargo space.
-Cheaper on average comparing mileage vs mileage on just a few years apart. (eg. 2007-2009 470 vs 2010-2013 460)
-Slightly better fuel economy on the motorway and or on trips.
-Cruise control works better.
-With a more direct spritely throttle this contributes to almost no foot fatigue.
-LED light conversions less of a headache and rear turn indicator bulbs are pointed straight out instead of at an upward angle in the 460.
-Had an easier time with no rubbing when we got larger off-road tires.
-Significantly better noise dampening. The lack of road noise in the 470 is light years better than the 460. The doors are very well insulated.
-With a simple muffler change it can sound like a bloody sports car and sound extremely good. We get compliments from the MOPAR and Chevy guys on how good it sounds.
-Seats are comfy but lack a bit of side support.

Cons:
-Interior panels will inevitably crack.
-The lack of a hydraulic strut for the back barn door is a huge oversight. Aftermarket options are available but this should of been a factory option.
-Feels under-powered in the passing department. 460 has a better top end for passing.
-While the Mark Levinson radio and speakers are great they will eventually fail and or the amp fail which requires a solution that isn't cheap either way.
-Lack of a proper console storage / armrest combo. The 460 while not very comfortable here with its armrest the console storage is superior.
-Timing belt + water pump every 80-100k miles (to be safe) IS an expense to take seriously.

Pros:
-To me I like the 2010-2013 GX body style the best. I like the 470 but the 460 just edges it out on styling but only in 2010-2013 year models.
-Interior seems a bit more ergonomic and has more storage space.
-Rear barn door has a hydraulic strut, and a beefy one too.
-Rear barn door's top glass opens up separately from the door.
-Much better passing gear vs the 470.
-Driving position is more comfortable for taller and or heavier people.
-Interior panels feel higher quality vs the 470.
-Better headlights.
-Interior cabin space seems to be a bit better for passengers.
-VENTILATED SEATS!!!!!!!

Cons:
-Worse fuel economy on the highway because...
-...the cruise control and throttle mapping is poor. My cruise control hunts too often and sometimes even on slight inclines has to drop down two gears to catch up. If there's a large incline in a headwind and when its hot god the cruise control is useless.
-Need way more throttle pedal input thus causing pretty horrendous foot fatigue on long trips.
-Less vertical cargo space because of those useless 3rd row seats.
-Radio feels like an after thought.
-The interior trim pieces that are silver and or that have the wood inserts feel cheaper than a rental Chevy Cruze.
-Interior has too much road noise, and with the sunroof shade upon it can be slightly annoying on windy days. The doors seem to lack the insulation quality/quantity that the 470 has. It really is night a day difference between the two on road noise.
-Not a lot of room to work in the engine bay vs the 470.

Our GX's:
IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_9922.jpg

Last edited:
One major con I've had with my 2006 470 is that every other year some part of the emission system breaks. First I replaced all the O2 sensors, then the cracked header, then last year some exhaust warmup fan broke and now I'm again periodically getting one of the emmission codes that I've been resetting and ignoring. When I bought my 470 I was also considering a 460 with 30,000 less miles that would have cost about $10,000 more. With all the money I've spent on repairs I don't think I've saved that much, and every time the CEL comes on I think about that 460 that I didn't buy. Of course if you're not in California and you don't mind bypassing the emmisions stuff you don't need to worry about this. At least I haven't had any problems with the stereo or cracking panels.

My favorite thing about the 470 is the crazy amount of headroom. If you're really tall or want to camp out in the back the high roof is incredible.

@MrTorgue thanks for the comparison. How do you know me already with the "big and tall" comment ha! I'm 6'4" 275 so that definitely applies to me. So based on your analysis.... I should buy both? :) Your comments on road noise are important. I hated that about my JKUR (I know much different than a GX) but I'm on calls for work all day long when I'm on the road. I guess I'm going to have to really drive them back to back. Living in the city, the rear window glass is really a benefit. I also ride mountain bikes so I often have my rack on the back of my Touareg. I hate having to tilt it down just to get something out of the back. I will have to figure out how I'm going to deal with the barn door and my current bike rack.

I've had both a 470 and currently have a 460 (For sale btw ;) ) and I'll take the 460 all day long.
Seats are more comfortable and the cooling feature is priceless on hot days.
The flip up window is so nice when you need something in the rear without having to open the barn door.
I've never had an issue with the cruise and I used to drive from LA to Phoenix once or twice a month in all kinds of crazy temps and sometimes while towing.
My 460 is loads quieter than my 470 was inside, sunroof has never made a peep.

I was just in the market for a 470/460 and ended w/ the latter. Without going into specifics I enjoyed the way the 460 drove 10x better. It felt more like a Land Cruiser, which the 470 did not. You can't go wrong obviously

@MrTorgue thanks for the comparison. How do you know me already with the "big and tall" comment ha! I'm 6'4" 275 so that definitely applies to me. So based on your analysis.... I should buy both? :) Your comments on road noise are important. I hated that about my JKUR (I know much different than a GX) but I'm on calls for work all day long when I'm on the road. I guess I'm going to have to really drive them back to back. Living in the city, the rear window glass is really a benefit. I also ride mountain bikes so I often have my rack on the back of my Touareg. I hate having to tilt it down just to get something out of the back. I will have to figure out how I'm going to deal with the barn door and my current bike rack.

If you have the funds then buy both, haha. The road noise is real, especially like I said when the sunroof shade is open. It's very windy in Texas 99% of the time so this sort of thing sometimes gets painfully annoying on long trips when we are driving in the lane of say a concrete barrier for example. The doors can easily have more insulation put in so it is kind of a moot point since that will solve most of that issue. I'm 6'0" with long legs and bad knees and ~260 so yea seating position is paramount, so with my knees I need as straight of a leg as possible when driving longer distances and our 470's leg room is noticeably less than the 460. I also forgot to mention the ventilated seats in the 460 make the price of admission worth it. I fell in love with that feature in my '19 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk before I sold it. I'm going to redneck science one for our 470 but having it factory installed in the 460 is a blessing.

All in all you won't go wrong if you pick one up for a good price that's mechanically sound and isn't worn out. Fun fact, I've driven a baker's dozen used GXs and only found two that were worn out--one had 6 owners so that tells you what you need to know--so odds are you'll most likely find a good one as long as you do your due diligence with having it checked out before buying. Oh, avoid a rusty vehicle, it just isn't worth it in the long run. Pro tip, try to find a one owner GX from a sunny state. Our 470 came from Huntington Beach CA and then to Texas and it mechanically is the best used vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned two dozen used vehicles in my lifetime. The engine feels as strong as one could be, almost feels like a new engine.

@MrTorgue I'm intrigued by your sunroof noise. Do you have cross bars or a roof rack?

@MrTorgue I'm intrigued by your sunroof noise. Do you have cross bars or a roof rack?

Factory roof rails. The noise is very noticeable when you open and close the shade and when the shade is closed my 460 is almost as quiet as my 470. I'll try and get a snapshot of the decibel level next time I drive on the freeway with the shade open and closed.

I just sold my 200k mile '06 470 for a 10k mile '19 460 specifically because I'm about to move 3,000 miles across the country with a fully loaded trailer (4k-ish lbs).

As reliable as a 470 will be, you're still going to run into more maintenance and hassle with so many more miles, depending on how high mileage you go. I wanted the peace of mind of an almost-new Toyota that is barely broken in.

Depending on what year and trim of 460 you get, it can be much more comfortable. Cooled seats, as mentioned above, are huge depending on your location. The steering wheel in the 460 is a massive upgrade over the '90s-feeling 470 steering wheel. And if you want safety features like lane keep and adaptive cruise (I didn't), the 460 is the choice.

I don't feel like the power bump in the 460 is very noticeable. If anything, I actually find the 470 to feel a bit quicker since the torque comes on sooner and it's slightly lighter. I have to rev out the 460 more. You obviously can't go wrong with either, but in my case the 460 was a no-brainer.

@MrTorgue's comment is very insightful and thorough. I especially agree about the in-floor 3rd row being a drawback. My dog has trouble jumping up that extra few inches. I'd rather be able to easily remove the 3rd row.

@MrTorgue's comment is very insightful and thorough. I especially agree about the in-floor 3rd row being a drawback. My dog has trouble jumping up that extra few inches. I'd rather be able to easily remove the 3rd row.

Our poor retired old-man racing greyhound just cannot make that jump anymore either. Gonna have to build a ramp or see if he jumps in the rear passenger door that way. Otherwise we are in a pickle...

Thanks all! I went and drove a 2016 GX460 yesterday (Used 2016 LEXUS GX 460 For Sale at Herb Chambers Lexus of Hingham | VIN: JTJBM7FX4G5128567). Overall I liked the vehicle a lot. Very different coming from a diesel so it took some getting used to getting on the highway. The particular one that I looked at doesn't have a trailer hitch but the dealership offered to put one on. I walked out when they gave me an insulting offer on my TDI ($6k below Carvana and KBB). I have the TDI listed for private sale and there is a good demand for them given they aren't sold anymore in the US. I did like the certified unlimited mile warranty for 2 years but TBH I really do prefer the 2010-2013 body style over the newer one, although my plan is to put an ARB style bumper on it anyways so I could live with the newer style.

My only question now is are there a lot of differences in features and functions between the 2010 - 2013 models and the 2014+ models? If they are the same then I think I'll wait it out to find the perfect 2010-2013

Here is a model year change thread

What are the important features that you want?

If you find a good deal on one even with adjustable shocks and bags... wouldn't worry about it... that has already been done

@ChiTown

The results are... 78~80dB with the shade closed and 83-85dB with the shade open going ~77mph on a two lane separated highway. Doesn't sound like much but considering it right at the driver's right ear and passengers left ear and windnoise is annoying to listen to it does make a real world difference. I cannot measure the 470 because we have a loud somewhat drone-y exhaust on it now the wife wanted. LOL

I've had both a 470 and currently have a 460 (For sale btw ;) ) and I'll take the 460 all day long.
Seats are more comfortable and the cooling feature is priceless on hot days.
The flip up window is so nice when you need something in the rear without having to open the barn door.
I've never had an issue with the cruise and I used to drive from LA to Phoenix once or twice a month in all kinds of crazy temps and sometimes while towing.
My 460 is loads quieter than my 470 was inside, sunroof has never made a peep.
What will you replace the 460 with?

Getting closer to making a purchase. Had to put things on hold after an unexpected change in career strategy. I'm sold on the 2010 - 2013 body style as my favorite. I've found a couple in high teens/low 20s with under 100k on them. I've never done a pre-purchase inspection on any vehicle that I've purchased. I think it might make sense just given the age and potential for rust. Have any of you ever requested to a large dealer that you'd like to have your mechanic look over the vehicle? Any advice would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom