New Member - 2012 FJ Roof Light Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen many threads here and other FJ forums about installing the roof lights on my FJ. I have almost all include instructions for drilling the roof and running down the A-pillar channel to the engine compartment. It appears to be a lot of leg work removing the headliner and going that route. I saw a video on YouTube with a guy that ran the wires up the A-Pillar channel and then through the channel that the Roof Rack sits in. It seems to have a plastic cover that is semi rigid. I cannot find any specs or diagrams to see if that channel cover comes off or if you would just have to wedge the wires down into the channel. My question is has anyone tried this install option before? My light BAR mounts directly to the OEM roof rack but is not the AIR DAMN style so i want to make sure the wires are concealed as well as protected. Should I just bite the bullet and drill the roof?

Thanks for any advice!!

Just my opinion here, I would have to , REALLLLY , have a NEED for roof lights to drill holes in the roof of my new truck! There are other options, I went the NO drill/Gobi route. Understanding you want to use what you have. There are quite a few threads out there of FJC's with roof leaks even with stock set up and no lights. Just saying, I would think long and hard before drilling your roof.

I have seen many threads here and other FJ forums about installing the roof lights on my FJ. I have almost all include instructions for drilling the roof and running down the A-pillar channel to the engine compartment. It appears to be a lot of leg work removing the headliner and going that route. I saw a video on YouTube with a guy that ran the wires up the A-Pillar channel and then through the channel that the Roof Rack sits in. It seems to have a plastic cover that is semi rigid. I cannot find any specs or diagrams to see if that channel cover comes off or if you would just have to wedge the wires down into the channel. My question is has anyone tried this install option before? My light BAR mounts directly to the OEM roof rack but is not the AIR DAMN style so i want to make sure the wires are concealed as well as protected. Should I just bite the bullet and drill the roof?

Thanks for any advice!!
Thanks Bird! I agree 100%. I do quite a bit of night time playing. I think i am going to attempt the no - drill install and see how it looks running the cables down the channels. I too fear drilling into the roof and the time and effort it will take to remove the head liner. I will let ya know how it goes Saturday as that is when I am going to install.

Thanks for your reply!

For my roof lights I ran them down the channels on both sides. If you use black wore for the hot and the ground, you won't notice it unless your looking. I am eventually going to run them through the a-pillar when I get rear light for my rack.

Drilling the roof is no big deal as long as you seal it properly. Using a multi-bit if possible, slowing cut just big enough to screw the fixture into the roof. Use a quality fixture that faces towards the rear and use some window putty to seal everything up. You can find it in rolls at most RV stores. BTW you only need to lower the headliner, I did not find it neccesary to remove the entire headliner. I have 2 reversing, 2 dust, 2 side and 4 foward facing lights roof lights and can't imaging how messy the install would have been trying to run all that wire using both pillars. I also had the advantage of seeing several of Larry at Dirty Parts installs in person.

Multi bit.jpg

Window putty tape.jpg
Multi bit.jpg
Window putty tape.jpg

Follow up

Sorry if I sound like a novice but for MODS this is my first time to attempt on my own. I've always paid for installs but for this RIG i want to build it from the ground up. So if i drill the roof is it possible to just lower one side of the headliner. In the instructions i have seen it shows to take the whole thing down. If i just remove the drivers side handles can just that side be lowered enough to work freely in there? Then do you just run the cables down the interior A-Pillar channel? The power through and ground to the engine access and the switch to the accessory switch panel? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Sorry if I sound like a novice but for MODS this is my first time to attempt on my own. I've always paid for installs but for this RIG i want to build it from the ground up. So if i drill the roof is it possible to just lower one side of the headliner. In the instructions i have seen it shows to take the whole thing down. If i just remove the drivers side handles can just that side be lowered enough to work freely in there? Then do you just run the cables down the interior A-Pillar channel? The power through and ground to the engine access and the switch to the accessory switch panel? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Remove driver and passenger side o'sh!t handles, rear view mirrow and visors so the whole front can sag down. It is probably not that much more trouble to remove the whole thing and not worry about the headliner creasing but I just used my kids baseball bat if I recall to support it. Remember I like many here planned to keep my FJ forever and have no problem with holes scratches and dents. If you ever need to sell it they can all be fixed by a competent body shop. If you want your FJ to be pristine maybe you should seek out someone on the board who can help you out.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom