New LX470 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just joined mud and have previously enjoyed reading posts on Landcruiser’s. I live in Eastern Australia and have just purchased a well looked after LX470 2001 model. Looking forward to learning more about these wonderfull vehicles and maybe post some of my own experiences.
l don’t really want to modify it, being an older gentleman I have been there and done all that, just want to keep it running as sweetly as she does now.

5AAD298E-04D2-46D6-BD41-0333248D86C3.jpeg

Nice rig, love the colour. Did the Ausie 470 come with the 4.2? or are you stuck with gas? Nice Aluminium bumper. easy on the AHC...Welcome.

Nice rig, love the colour. Did the Ausie 470 come with the 4.2? or are you stuck with gas? Nice Aluminium bumper. easy on the AHC...Welcome.

Thank you Ticoman, the aussie 470 has the 4.7 petrol v8, was never released here with the 4.2 turbo diesel only the 100 series landcruiser, and they bring a lot of money if in good nick.
My particular vehicle is running on gas, the stuff you use in your stoves it makes the car so cheap to run, half the price of petrol, available here everywhere and the conversion done on mine was one of the best, very expensive to fit but negates any power loss and trouble free, it’s called Prinns a Dutch company. The Lexus IS as cheap to run as a Camry, love it, A great exhaust system has also been fitted and the sound of that glorious V8 brings back memories of when I was a young petrol head. I also love the colour looks grey in different light
The AHC was replaced with all new parts just before I purchased it 4,000 dollars in Aus I will be keeping it for am impressed with the way it works and will be learning on how to maintain it as I have found with most things mechanical maintenance is the key to a happy relationship, human as well as vehicles.
The bull bar is made by a company here called TJM and am in the process of polishing it with alum polish, don’t think it has been touched since new and is badly oxidised but coming up really well.
The only thing I have planned for the Lexus IS a new set of Goodrich ATs and drawers for the back and removing those old spotlights and replace with a small light bar.

Interesting about The gas conversion. I am in Costa Rica and my 06 LC has the 4.2 and they are very pricey here. Be careful with adding too much weight in the back as your globe pressures can get out of hand. There is an Ausi company that makes tougher springs for the AHC system you might want to consider. Do you have a teck stream cable? If not, they are invaluable in keeping the AHC going strong.

Interesting about The gas conversion. I am in Costa Rica and my 06 LC has the 4.2 and they are very pricey here. Be careful with adding too much weight in the back as your globe pressures can get out of hand. There is an Ausi company that makes tougher springs for the AHC system you might want to consider. Do you have a teck stream cable? If not, they are invaluable in keeping the AHC going strong.

That 4.2 turbo diesel Is a magnificent motor, but having done a lot of research before I purchased theLexus, the 4.7 V8 in the le

That 4.2 turbo diesel is a magnificent motor but I did a lot of research before I bought the Lexus and the 4.7 V8 gets great reviews for being a good strong motor but the only negative being heavy on fuel but because mine runs on gas at half the price of petrol it negates that criticism .
I have had the car for a month and am over the moon on how it drives and handles, I think she is going to be a keeper.
Could you explain what is a tech stream cable and how does it work, I am thinking of getting a spare set of globes from America, I have checked the cost and they are half what they slug you here in Aus. Lexus provides a great service but they are so expensive.
Do you know the name of the Aussie company that makes the springs, I have also heard air bags are another option.

Amazon product ASIN B087CZDF4HThis is a hacked version of a Toyota teck program that will let you see your AHC system pressures in real time Very important. attached is a screenshot of my ahc system. read the whole post here on AHC trouble shooting it is over 35 pages long and great info.

Screenshot (20).png

Well the Amazon.com link didn't work so just search Techstream cable and it will come up. They are about 28 US$

G’day Lex Lover,

You will find most things you need for LX470 here on IH8MUD which contains a vast amount of information in this excellent and helpful forum. Some local Australian insights on “100 series” issues also can be found at LCOOL and this also is well worth joining, if not done already.

As mentioned by others, a device which connects the vehicle to a laptop and allows scanning of the various onboard Electronic Control Units (ECU’s) is very useful. This involves acquiring a low cost cable and connector (generally of Chinese origin) and software which usually can be sourced by searching for “Techstream” or “Mini VCI cable for Lexus” on eBay or Amazon in Australia or in USA.

An alternative slightly more expensive (but still low cost) source is the following Australian site (based in Perth) which at least provides some contact details – this enables some inquiry and support:

Toyota Techstream Diagnostic Cable – OBD2 Australia

The cable uses the DLC3 connection under the dash, above the brake pedal, rather than the DCL1 connection in the engine bay.

Be aware that the device and software usually prefers an ancient Windows 7 x 32bit laptop. There are workarounds which enable use of more up-to-date computers – a search of “Techstream” on IH8MUD and LCOOL will yield a lot of information.

Also be aware that the software usually requires that the vehicle be OnBoardDiagnostic-2 (OBD2) compliant – which I think yours may be. If so, there should be a label in the engine bay which says so, or a Lexus dealer should be able to explain. Alternatively, discuss your model, year and VIN with the people at the above Australian link who should be able to help.

Australia adopted the OBD2 protocol later than some parts of the world and some LC100 vehicles (and maybe some LX470 vehicles) have the earlier MultiplexOnBoardDiagnostic (MOBD) system. My 2006 vehicle has the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine and it certainly is MOBD rather than OBD2. The 2UZ-FE V8 gasoline engine on your LX470 may well be different.

It is essential to have some means of checking the AHC and TEMS (AVS) system using Techstream or some other scanning tool.

For AHC purposes, I find it more convenient to use a low cost Mini ELM327 Car Diagnostic Scanner which enables a Bluetooth connection to a laptop, tablet or a smartphone:

Scanner:

Mini ELM327 Car Diagnostic Scanner for Android | Automotive Accessories |

Mini ELM327 Car Diagnostic Scanner for Apple | Automotive Accessories |

App:

ELMScan Toyota - Apps on Google Play

There are other devices -- although there appears to be mixed success with some of them.

Enjoy the LX470 -- it is a great car!

G’day Lex Lover,

You will find most things you need for LX470 here on IH8MUD which contains a vast amount of information in this excellent and helpful forum. Some local Australian insights on “100 series” issues also can be found at LCOOL and this also is well worth joining, if not done already.

As mentioned by others, a device which connects the vehicle to a laptop and allows scanning of the various onboard Electronic Control Units (ECU’s) is very useful. This involves acquiring a low cost cable and connector (generally of Chinese origin) and software which usually can be sourced by searching for “Techstream” or “Mini VCI cable for Lexus” on eBay or Amazon in Australia or in USA.

An alternative slightly more expensive (but still low cost) source is the following Australian site (based in Perth) which at least provides some contact details – this enables some inquiry and support:

Toyota Techstream Diagnostic Cable – OBD2 Australia

The cable uses the DLC3 connection under the dash, above the brake pedal, rather than the DCL1 connection in the engine bay.

Be aware that the device and software usually prefers an ancient Windows 7 x 32bit laptop. There are workarounds which enable use of more up-to-date computers – a search of “Techstream” on IH8MUD and LCOOL will yield a lot of information.

Also be aware that the software usually requires that the vehicle be OnBoardDiagnostic-2 (OBD2) compliant – which I think yours may be. If so, there should be a label in the engine bay which says so, or a Lexus dealer should be able to explain. Alternatively, discuss your model, year and VIN with the people at the above Australian link who should be able to help.

Australia adopted the OBD2 protocol later than some parts of the world and some LC100 vehicles (and maybe some LX470 vehicles) have the earlier MultiplexOnBoardDiagnostic (MOBD) system. My 2006 vehicle has the 1HD-FTE turbodiesel engine and it certainly is MOBD rather than OBD2. The 2UZ-FE V8 gasoline engine on your LX470 may well be different.

It is essential to have some means of checking the AHC and TEMS (AVS) system using Techstream or some other scanning tool.

For AHC purposes, I find it more convenient to use a low cost Mini ELM327 Car Diagnostic Scanner which enables a Bluetooth connection to a laptop, tablet or a smartphone:

Scanner:

Mini ELM327 Car Diagnostic Scanner for Android | Automotive Accessories |

Mini ELM327 Car Diagnostic Scanner for Apple | Automotive Accessories |

App:

ELMScan Toyota - Apps on Google Play

There are other devices -- although there appears to be mixed success with some of them.

Enjoy the LX470 -- it is a great car!
Thanks Indrocruise, what a great response, tons of information and is going to keep me busy for awhile .I am very impressed with the Lexus so far and love the AHC, just have to learn how to maintain it and with the information from your post and a previous one it has been made a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom