New IH8MUD chapter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We've been talking about having a meet up for some time now, so I think as soon as the weather is dependably warm we should plan to do that. What's everyone think about a Sunday afternoon in May?
Sounds good! Hopefully, I'll have the Mud Sloth up and running by then.

I’m good to go...lmk!!
Needs ignition switch relocated=have one from Matt coming soon. Then off for radiator flush and a lower hose replacement, tires and wheels, and a stereo. After that, she should be good to go!

47-477891_open-fingers-crossed-emoji-clipart.jpg

Were you thinking of off-roading spots, or just a place to hang out and admire each other's rigs?
I think a meet-up and admire would be nice for the first meeting. Then a short trip after that.

Anybody interested in looking for Mel's Hole? Be nice for a pic nic (?)

I'm also working on some window decals=I'll try to post them for comments.

If you click on the PDF figure, it will open a new file. I had problems, so it ended up becoming an order. I'm footing the bill for it! (It was my error, so it is only right). Here's hoping!

Attachments

• Club Logo 3.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 146
Asking a favor: Keep your eyes open for an 100 or 200 series Land Cruiser for me (NO, I am NOT getting rid of the Mud Sloth, so don't ask!). Will consider a VERY low mileage 80 series.

Becoming a two Cruiser family (?).

Asking a favor: Keep your eyes open for an 100 or 200 series Land Cruiser for me (NO, I am NOT getting rid of the Mud Sloth, so don't ask!). Will consider a VERY low mileage 80 series.

Becoming a two Cruiser family (?).
You seen the 2 80s on craigslist?

Update on the "Mud Sloth": We left to pick it up and I had heart issues in Redmond, OR. Came home and had it trucked up. PO left it with some issues: Ignition switch is behind the roll bar (VERY HARD to reach), miscellaneous switches and knobs not marked, Warn M47 hubs need rebuilt, rear lights disconnected, radiator/hoses and PTO leak. Installing a new 15" steering wheel and a center console, a cheap LOUD radio, and center console. Health limits my energy, so it went to a local shop who said it will be an estimated $2K and it will be running great!

Then new tires, and the radio.

In the meantime I am tricking out the wife's 4Runner (side rails, roof carrier and a bull bar) as best she will allow me! Put the side rails in and I was really impressed with how "rhinoed" the under-carriage was. Named it the "Mini Land Cruiser".

I should be good to go on the FJ in a week or two! Look for it around Wenatchee!!

Attached are a few pictures of what I've got done so far!

29-7.gif

.58-2.jpg

.04-3.jpg

.00-47.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ya'll! My family and I are planning to drive up this coming July from Sacramento and looking for overland trails that we may be able to go through while visiting. We'll be about 5-6 rigs, with an assortment of 100s, 80s and 4Runners. Any recommendations on overland trails. We're looking into one of these trails:

Thank you in advance! Very much excited to visit WA

Your trip looks good! my wife retires next month and we are looking for some short trips out of Wenatchee. Maybe we can meet up. I have an FJ40 and she has a 2019 4Runner.

You may wish to return via the Channeled Scablands and see some of the area formed by the glaciers and the Missoula Flood.

You m ay also want to look for the (mythical) Mel's Hole.

From Wikipedia:

"The legend of the bottomless hole started on February 21, 1997, when a man identifying himself as Mel Waters appeared as a guest on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell. Waters claimed that he owned rural property nine miles west of Ellensburg in Kittitas County, Washington that contained a mysterious hole. According to Waters, the hole had an unknown depth of at least 80,000 feet. He claimed to have measured its depth using fishing line and a weight, although he still had not hit bottom by the time 80,000 feet of line had been used. He also claimed that his neighbor's dead dog had been seen alive sometime after it was thrown into the hole. According to Waters, the hole's magical properties prompted US federal agents to seize the land and fund his relocation to Australia.[2]

Waters made guest appearances on Bell's show in 1997, 2000, and 2002. Rebroadcasts of those appearances have helped create what's been described as a "modern, rural myth". The exact location of the hole was unspecified, yet several people claimed to have seen it,[1][3] such as Gerald R. Osborne, who used the ceremonial name Red Elk, who described himself as an "intertribal medicine man...half-breed Native American / white",[4][5] and who told reporters in 2012 he visited the hole many times since 1961 and claimed the US government maintained a top secret base there where "alien activity" occurs.[6][2] But in 2002, Osborne was unable to find the hole on an expedition of 30 people he was leading.[7]

Local news reporters who investigated the claims found no public records of anyone named Mel Waters ever residing in, or owning property in Kittitas County. According to State Department of Natural Resources geologist Jack Powell, the hole does not exist and is geologically impossible. A hole of the depth claimed "would collapse into itself under the tremendous pressure and heat from the surrounding strata," said Powell. Powell said an ordinary old mine shaft on private property was probably the inspiration for the stories, and commented that Mel's Hole had established itself as a legend "based on no evidence at all".[2]"

Question I've been asked "How do you guys feel about 4Runners?". As I've mentioned before, I have an FJ40 and our primary car is a 5gen 4Runner. There seems to be a few guys with 4Runners that have voiced an interest. Do we want to include them? Tundras and Tacomas?

TLCA Does allow anyone Toyota owners to join. How do the potential members feel?

Question I've been asked "How do you guys feel about 4Runners?". As I've mentioned before, I have an FJ40 and our primary car is a 5gen 4Runner. There seems to be a few guys with 4Runners that have voiced an interest. Do we want to include them? Tundras and Tacomas?

TLCA Does allow anyone Toyota owners to join. How do the potential members feel?
I've been called a Toyota nut (see signature). Right now my 60 isn't running the best, so I'd probably show up in my 4Runner or wife's FJ Cruiser. I have no problems with any 4x4s in the Toyota family.
I wasn't aware this was a TLCA thing but I'm not a member either.

Not a TLCA thing (Not yet anyway!)==Just a local group that may form! If we decide to go the TLCA route, I'm sure there will be some rules (Rules? Rules? We doan need no steenking rules!)

Hi guys, been on mud for a little while but just realized this regional group existed. I am in Naches Wa and am a bit of a toyota nut.
Currently wheeling a 91 fj80 i call the offroad station wagon:
wAXGtpy.jpg

xtn2YCq.jpg

mainy got its name because it spends its time hauling my girls (and the dog is a boy) into the woods for play time:
U75e8vX.jpg

CJZJQjb.jpg

Sd2RRnf.jpg

my long term project is my 73 fj40
wdZmDGh.jpg

it still has a long way to go to be functional.

Hi guys, been on mud for a little while but just realized this regional group existed. I am in Naches Wa and am a bit of a toyota nut.
Currently wheeling a 91 fj80 i call the offroad station wagon:
wAXGtpy.jpg

xtn2YCq.jpg

mainy got its name because it spends its time hauling my girls (and the dog is a boy) into the woods for play time:
U75e8vX.jpg

CJZJQjb.jpg

Sd2RRnf.jpg

my long term project is my 73 fj40
wdZmDGh.jpg

it still has a long way to go to be functional.
Nice rides! I'm headed to Little Naches this weekend with some other Toyota nuts... Leaving the cruisers at home, but taking my 85 pickup. If you feel like wheeling around funny rocks, etc. with 3 other rigs, come on up. We've got a built 4Runner, my Pickup, and the oddball Mitsubishi Montero. There could be a 2021 TRD 4Runner that might join us which will be interesting... We're camping in Long Meadow Campground Thursday night through Sunday. - Eric

1633464306840.png

1633463871886.png

Nice rides! I'm headed to Little Naches this weekend with some other Toyota nuts... Leaving the cruisers at home, but taking my 85 pickup. If you feel like wheeling around funny rocks, etc. with 3 other rigs, come on up. We've got a built 4Runner, my Pickup, and the oddball Mitsubishi Montero. There could be a 2021 TRD 4Runner that might join us which will be interesting... We're camping in Long Meadow Campground Thursday night through Sunday. - Eric

View attachment 2804789
View attachment 2804782
right on. you have been up to this way before haven't you? i think i have seen that green toy before. if you head to little naches up hwy 12 you drive by my house (just west of Bron Yr Aur) so i see alot of the traffic going by. let me talk to the wife and see what her plans are.

right on. you have been up to this way before haven't you? i think i have seen that green toy before. if you head to little naches up hwy 12 you drive by my house (just west of Bron Yr Aur) so i see alot of the traffic going by. let me talk to the wife and see what her plans are.
I will be heading by there around 5:30-6pm. Pulling the green truck with a maroon 1st gen Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom