New IH8MUD chapter

Welcome! I looked around and noticed there wasn't a club for the Wenatchee and central Washington area, so I asked for one to be started. Brian "Woody" Swearingen quickly responded, and now we're ready to roll! I hope to hear from local folks soon, and would like to start planning an event for this summer.

Tim "Mountainman38" Gates
Wenatchee, WA
'99 TRD Tacoma
'79 FJ40 Land Cruiser

Boone 035 -round.jpg

I'm just a few hours away over in Coeur D Alene. There are a number of cruisers over here in Spokane/CdA area, but nobody ever gets together. I've got a 71 FJ40, 87 FJ60 and 01 LX470.

Hi Tim,

Just bought a FJ60 and am in the process of fixing it back to health...hope to see you on the trails
What all are you planning on doing to your 60? I almost pulled the trigger on an LS swapped '87 last summer. Still kind of sad the deal didn't work out, but in the end I found a pretty nice FZJ80 instead.

Hi Tim,

Just bought a FJ60 and am in the process of fixing it back to health...hope to see you on the trails
Hey @tacoluver,
Good to hear from you! I don't seem to be getting notifications about posts here, so I apologize for not responding sooner.

How's progress on the 60 going? I see that you're putting an H55F in it -- very nice! I'd love a 5-speed for my 40.

Last edited:
I'm just a few hours away over in Coeur D Alene. There are a number of cruisers over here in Spokane/CdA area, but nobody ever gets together. I've got a 71 FJ40, 87 FJ60 and 01 LX470.
@Borrego,
I was just in the Hayden Lake area a few weeks ago, and had a great time. It looks like you've got a lot of great places to go exploring in your rigs!

Hey Tim, glad you put the call out. I just officially joined mud after lurking for some time. I'm local in Wenatchee and have definitely spotted your sweet 40 series around town.
@Toddo,

Thanks for the kind words! I was really happy to finally be driving my Cruiser again this spring, after it had sat for too many years. Unfortunately, I've discovered issues with the rear differential, so I need to replace the pinion bearing before I can really drive it again.

Do you have a Cruiser? I've seen several around town, and would like to get to know the owners better.

Hey @tacoluver,
Good to hear from you! I don't seem to be getting notifications about posts here, so I apologize for not responding sooner.

How's progress on the 60 going? I see that you're putting an H55F in it -- very nice! I'd love a 5-speed for my 40.
Hey it coming along pretty well...go the new clutch and H55F in over the weekend...works great!!!

@Toddo,

Thanks for the kind words! I was really happy to finally be driving my Cruiser again this spring, after it had sat for too many years. Unfortunately, I've discovered issues with the rear differential, so I need to replace the pinion bearing before I can really drive it again.

Do you have a Cruiser? I've seen several around town, and would like to get to know the owners better.
That's too bad about the pinion bearing, are you going to just do the bearing or R&R the the whole diff?

This is my relatively new to me '94. Still going through it and taking care of small mechanical issues, cosmetics and deferred maintenance stuff. It's a pretty solid body that was in Eastern WA most of it's life.

That's too bad about the pinion bearing, are you going to just do the bearing or R&R the the whole diff?
I'm planning to just replace the bearings, if that's all that's wrong. I'm massively ambivalent about what I want to do with getting my gearing lower, so for now I'll just keep the differential the way it is... Assuming I don't HAVE to replace it!

@Toddo,

Hi, I have a 79 fj40 in Wenatchee. I’ve been driving it 25 years, daily driver for first 15, now my play and work vehicle. Mostly stock. Getting some rust cancer I need to fix. Original F2.

Top Bottom