New ignition barrel and switch OEM seems still wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys first off all, i replaced the ignition barrel and switch And got it from Toyota jn dubbo matched to the utes VIN. Its a HZJ75 series 1997.

I did put the switch in on accessories and put the little screw in on the top side, also put the little extender into the right hand side and put the barrel back in on accessories. When i turn the key from off to accessories it seems like the barrel already says ON. Turn the key one more click it all the dash lights come on but its alrwady on ON position. When i tey to start the ute its actually not going any further.

Any help much appreciate,

BOTE, i can start the car with a screw driver but once the barrel is on it doesnt seem to be right. Plz help guys

Pics included

9BF6BC3D-4DB5-46DC-BE0B-77C6567C418C.jpeg
659A5019-DA3D-4619-8D7E-2294C01D5B7F.jpeg
I just read two manuals on removal and install you have done everything right remove in acc position and reinstall in acc position.
Are you sure your turning the ignition barrel all the way back when installing because your going in one position out by the sound of it.

Last edited:
No my mistake Rosco I read it wrong it mixes up the years between both switches just done more home work and changed my post.
Sorry for the wrong information.

Apparently if the key is turned past lock or start before it's inserted in the steering column it can lock the barrel as well.

It appears to me you have an petrol version of the ignition barrel not the diesel version. The diesel version should have a "glow" selection in the key. Also when I ordered up a new lock and key set for my truck I got a set without the diesel ign barrel, only the petrol version was available in kit form so I ended up having to replace the ign barrel separate.

You say your truck is an HZJ70 so that is a 1HZ engine. I do believe you have the wrong ign barrel. The one you pictured above being for a petrol truck. Unless Aussie trucks don't have a "glow" selection?

Cheers

That's what I originally thought but after checking part numbers there all the same. I think he has either locked the ignition from turning it back and forth or he has the later 10/79 ute with a different ignition switch. Have to wait to he comes back and checks this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom