New GX470 owner question: TRD Pro SEMA 17" vs. TRD Pro SEMA "Style" 17" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to avoid a duplicate post (and I've not been able to find this specific issue addressed on this forum). So I apologize in advance, but I've been internet-sleuthing for the better part of two hours and cannot get clarification on my own, so I'm giving it a shot here.

I would like to replace my factory rims with the TRD Pro SEMA 17" wheels. What I keep seeing is that OEM SEMA 17" wheels (at least the ones I can find online) are 7 inches wide, while the replica SEMA 17" wheels are available in 8-inch widths. Stock 4-Runner 17-inch rims are 7" wide and run 265/70/17, which is the tire size I would like to run.

I'm just wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the two wheel widths. I was hoping to give my vehicle a wider-looking stance. The fact that the OEM width of the GX rims is 7.5" makes me think that I need to find 8-inch rims.

Thanks for any help.

I'm trying to avoid a duplicate post (and I've not been able to find this specific issue addressed on this forum). So I apologize in advance, but I've been internet-sleuthing for the better part of two hours and cannot get clarification on my own, so I'm giving it a shot here.

I would like to replace my factory rims with the TRD Pro SEMA 17" wheels. What I keep seeing is that OEM SEMA 17" wheels (at least the ones I can find online) are 7 inches wide, while the replica SEMA 17" wheels are available in 8-inch widths. Stock 4-Runner 17-inch rims are 7" wide and run 265/70/17, which is the tire size I would like to run.

I'm just wondering if there is a noticeable difference between the two wheel widths. I was hoping to give my vehicle a wider-looking stance. The fact that the OEM width of the GX rims is 7.5" makes me think that I need to find 8-inch rims.

Thanks for any help.
I didn't see this post. I bought the TRD Pro rims from Toyota parts warehouse in Orlando because I didn't want replicas. They are perfect! I put Toyo 265-70-17 on and they look great. They are a larger tire, the rims move out just past the edge of wheel well. Would recommend...

I just put these wheels on the stock sized tire (265/65/17). I think it looks fine - ideally 7.5" would be better. I think you will be fine though. Images linked below:

Thanks for any help.
The TRD pro rims backspacing is such that it moves wheels out just past edge of wheel wells.
I really like them and of course quality is top notch. Order black lug nuts too.
Toyota distributor in Winter Park Florida has best prices on rims. They list them on Ebay...see image, my GX is on right next to this 4Runner TRDPRO...
20210406_102258.jpg

I believe at 2020 they switched the OEM TRD Pro SEMA wheel to a 7.5" width, while all others previous years were 7".

TRD Off-road/Trail has always been 7.5" I believe.

I doubt 7 inch vs 7.5 inch on a 265 width off roady (AT or MT) tire would have any noticeable difference in driving feel between the two. The larger tires are going to have a much bigger visual effect compared to 1/4 inch of wheel or a few millimeters of offset either way.

I doubt 7 inch vs 7.5 inch on a 265 width off roady (AT or MT) tire would have any noticeable difference in driving feel between the two. The larger tires are going to have a much bigger visual effect compared to 1/4 inch of wheel or a few millimeters of offset either way.
The guys question related to getting the 7.5 real toyota rims versus 8.5 aftermarket copies.. I simply explained that the Toyota rims offset was such that the wheel moved out around 20 mm.
I agree with you that the (my) toyo 265-70-17 all terrain tires make the biggest difference...
I wish I had waited until more products were available for my lift. I changed rear springs twice and now have to remove once again to add adjustable spring perches and quality top seats.
Point is; I could've bought larger rims and tires after my lifts. I'm happy though, vehicle rides fantastic, doesn't sag with new base camp trailer, still feels great over a 100 mph, and has offroad capabilities that impress. Ironman 4x4 continues to move front bumper availability out... so disappointing.
20210403_143911.jpg

This is why I shouldn't browse forums prior to completing all morning coffees. I don't know that wheel width (7.5 v 8 or 8.5) would have much impact here. A wider wheel better supports a wider tire, which can have a major impact on responsiveness and handling on a sports car, but I don't really think it matters much for our application as long as the tire seats properly.

I personally try to avoid 7" rims because it limits you to skinny and smaller tires. Tire manufacturers publish a recommended range of rim widths for their tires. Many larger tires like 285/70R17 require at least a 7.5" rim per the tire manufacturer.

So, ideal rim widths for the GX470 are from 7.5" to 8.5". I know because I have a 9" rim width and that limits me to very few skinny tall tires (like 33x10.5). And sometimes I change my mind on what tires I want to run next either 33x10 or 33x10.5 or 285/70R17s. I would like to try skinny talls once in a while.
NittoTiresTable.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom