New FJC rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Hi all,
I don't own an FJ Cruiser but my buddy Drew does (I'm sure some of you know him). I've mostly done custom fab for 60 series but I was up to the challenge of giving Drew something that would stand up to his type of wheeling as well as be clean, strong and gain ground clearance.
The rear cross member has been removed and an additional several inches have been cut from the frame. The trailer hitch (class 5 equivalent) has been sucked up as high as it will go with extra reinforcements. Overall gain ended up being about 20* more on the back from the stock set up with the trailer hitch attached to the rear cross member - YES, 20 degrees more!

It's built tougher than any trail you'll take your truck on.

The main bumper is made from 1/4" steel bent with gussets, the frame mounts are 1/2" and the mounting system is done so it fits inside the frame and on the outside as well. That way it limits the amount of stress on the frame in pulling situations.
The outside wings are done out of 3/16" and reinforced in strategic places to handle sliding off rocks without doing damage to the body and still maximizing clearance.
The swing out is rated for 2000lbs. (the design on this is almost finished to hold a 35" tire and 2 fuel cans), and will have a double lock that is extremely easy to open (one finger) but safer then anything else out there. The swing out also gets linked to the rear door to control and simplify the opening of it.
Everything is designed to be sleek, complement the lines on the truck, be practical, simple, and most importantly be tough and increase clearance.
The prototype is almost finished and Drew will be putting it through hell at Moab this year.
IMG_3224.jpg
IMG_3225.jpg
IMG_3218.jpg

I like it. Best departure angle ever; nice work.

Mat, thanks for all your hours of hard work and incorporating all my requirements into this Project.

This is the prototype and YES, Mat do's plan on making more. Yesterday is the first day we had the bumper on with the modified plastic bumper skin and the 1/4 panel wings were one of the only things that didn't quite line up as planned. Mat has been refining the plans where needed as we go along, so I'm sure a lot of these little things will be addressed for the next one.
New Westminster-20110311-00071.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty slick. Love the angles coming off the back of that thing.

Reminds me of my 4x4 labs rear.

thanks guys, Drew.

The plan is to make more, after this I will have a jig and full drawings for it so I can easily manufacture more of them. Just finished the last touch ups and it's going into powdercoating on Monday.
After that I'm focusing on a swing out....which apparently has to accommodate Drew's massive 35" tire and 2 fuel cans :D. Good thing I chose the 2000lbs swing out assembly!

Powdercoat?!? We don't need no stinkin' powdercoat! A fine protective coating of oxdized iron alloy should fit the bill nicely:hillbilly:

Seriously thouugh, looks great Drew, I'll be watching to see if this is my next mod:D

since it is Canadian made I was toying with the idea of offering it in a rare, limited edition rust finish :D but Drew didn't go for it.
This week the powder coat (semi-gloss black) is going on and I am working on the swing out.

these are just my crappy phone pics I'll be posting much nicer ones once it's done.
I have already started doing some revisions (sorry Drew). and will be raising the side wings to cover the plastic caps on the sides of the body. changing around a little of the mounting and the thickness of material being used to lower the weight a bit (by no means will the quality and durability be affected!) This one will be finished soon and I have another one soon to be in the works with the new revisions.

Looks good.
If I hadn't already made my own this would be on the top of my list

Pretty picture Drew :D
so the inflation valves and 120V connection were a special request from Drew and would be optional for future units.
The standard will always be the construction:
1/4" frame mounts
1/2" tow points directly connected to the frame mounts and sleeved for better shackle mounting
1/4" outer shell for the main bumper skin
3/16" for the wings (which are being raised to cover the plastic trim)
gussets to reinforce the side wings
reinforcements for the trailer hitch to make it comparable to a class 5.
backup sensor cut ins
mounting done by using the 2 bottom factory bolts and 3 new (that have to be drilled into the frame) bolts with heavy duty nuts mounted to a channel that is welded to the bumper
2000lbs spindle
the safety chain bumper mounts will be attached a little differently and be stronger because of it
quick latch and release lock for the swing out
swing out options will depend on customer demands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom