1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FAQ topic - Radio Install Aftermarket and others

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Romer, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Lots of threads on Radio Installs

Some folks go Scion for the factory look. 4 runner and other radios available.

Some go aftermarket with either the single or double din sized radio.

Lots of options. Here is my suggestion on format. Add more info if appropriate

Year of truck

Radio installed

Removed factory Amp yes/no - why if no.

Cable harness - buy the Toyota one from BB or Circuit city or other

work with existing speakers - even if you upgraded speakers

If you have an LX450 - work with stock sub woofer

Ease of install and steps. e.g., use factory bracket, connected to cable behind radio or removed amp and wired to those connectors, etc.

How's it sound?

If single din, what did you put in the empty space.

Pic of finished product

After thoughts, what would you do different, go for one with aux input? MP3 capability? other?

Post up your solution.

Some helpful hints from other threads

Here is a thread with Pics of some aftermarket installs:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=141293

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. chibo

chibo

Year of truck: 1997
    Radio installed: Scion First Gen Headunit
    Removed factory Amp yes/no - why if no.: Not removed, just unplugged.
    Cable harness - buy the Toyota one from BB or Circuit city or other: None Needed, plugs worked from stock setup - this is not true for the LX450 as far as I know so be warned.
    Work with existing speakers - even if you upgraded speakers: Yes, using stock speakers though.
    If you have an LX450 - work with stock sub woofer: Unknown
    Ease of install and steps. e.g., use factory bracket, connected to cable behind radio or removed amp and wired to those connectors, etc.:
    1. Take out factory radio surround - as I remember there are two screws down where the slide out tray is and two behind the little cubby in the top right
    2. Unscrew the factory unit and unplug it
    3. Plug the factory cables into the Scion unit and screw it it using the stock screws and locations
    4. Trim the dash surround slowly while testing it for clearance. You're going to have to shave the right and left sides of the radio hole.
    5. Reinstall the factory radio surround once you have it trimmed correctly.
    6. Open the glove box and empty it then press the sides in toward each other while trying to open it even more; it should drop right down.
    7. Unplug the factory amp <pending edit of picture of amp>
    8. Press the two sides of the glove box together and push it back closed.
    What I'd do differently: I'd have waited for a 2nd or 3rd gen unit to come up on ebay since they look much nicer; I'd have also taken more time to correctly trim the radio surround so it looks better. <pending edit for picture of radiosurround>
    Pic of finished product:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. Lka1988

Lka1988 Wheeling in scale

Year of truck: 1991

Radio installed: Alpine CDA9883, Audio/MP3/WMA CD's, Built-in iPod controls, Sat radio ready

Removed factory Amp: Yes

Cable harness: Scosche TA02

Dash Kit: Scosche UI2222B. Includes dash pocket, EQ mount, and other stuff.

Work with existing speakers: Yes, INCLUDING dash tweets and cargo speakers...Removed those, upgraded the door speakers

Ease of install: Fairly simple, :banana: or :banana::banana:
    Steps:
    1- Remove dash panel surrounding stereo; two screws behind the ashtray and one screw underneath the ignition.
    ..A- GENTLY pull the bottom, then the top of the panel to remove it.
    ....A1- Unplug and pop out the buttons from behind (CDL, RR Defrost, etc...)
    2- Unscrew factory stereo; unplug it from the back.
    ..A- Remove factory brackets from the radio. You will need these later.
    3- Wire the aftermarket vehicle and stereo harnesses together. They are color-coded for ease of use.
    4- Connect vehicle side of the harness into the two extra plugs that were behind the radio.
    5- Attach the new stereo to the factory brackets
    6- Connect stereo side of the harness to the stereo.
    7- Secure stereo into the dash.
    8- Re-attach lower dash panel/buttons.

How's it sound? Excellent, especially w/the subs

Second DIN: Dash pocket, to keep wallet, phone, etc..

Note: Since I had a dash kit, I took a few extra steps to install a supplied dash pocket. PM me if you want to know how. And the iPod will remain in an undisclosed location. I've had two stolen already...

PICS
    DSCN0028.JPG DSCN0029.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  4. Slomo

Slomo It's Complicated

Year of truck: 1997 FZJ80

Radio: Pioneer DEH-MP5900IB, plays cd's, Mp3's, FM, AM, XM, controls Ipod on the head unit itself, main knob on deck and remote control with wheel that work like the Ipod.

Removed factory Amp: Don't think so, see below.

Cable harness: Best buy adapter that joins to Pioneer harness so it can plug into the factory wiring harness without cutting it.

Work with existing speakers: Yes, including the dash tweeters and cargo area speakers. Upgraded front door speakers to Pioneer 150w 2 ways but forgot part #.

Ease of install: Pretty easy just wire to wire in dash. Hard part was getting the wiring for Stereo and two radio's in dash, XM under shifter console, and in center console.

How's it sound: Pretty good, I would like to upgrade the rear door speakers and add a better sub and amp in the back.

Single din: Put 2 meter in second din and CB in ashtray slot.

After thoughts: I would try to look harder for an adapter cable for the Ipod to mate to my old Pioneer instead of upgrading the whole stereo.

Mo
    rotw m1.jpg lsk m1.jpg

5. Romer

A Scion install by JOFS from this thread

6. Romer

7. mooker82

mooker82

Here is my setup. This is a cut and paste from a PM where I was helping out a fellow mudder so the format is different than suggested. It is in my 97 with stock amp removed.

Up front I am running top of the line Diamond Audio 6.5 components(around $750). I chose these because of they are fairly shallow for a speaker that can handle 200watts continuous. The mid grade diamond audios are excellent as well. I prefer these over the focals because they offer an aluminum or silk dome tweeter so you can match your highs with the type of music you listen to. I had to cut the front openings a little and use spacers to make the 6.5s fit. I mounted the tweeters just above the door handles in the leather. I found this gave me optimal sound.

In the rear I had to cut and use spacers as well. The tweeters are mounted in the leather near the door handles once again. These were the diamond motorsports series (around $350).

I also removed the stock dash speakers and installed 1" Diamond Audio tweeters there as well.

For the center channel I use the clarion self powered 1/2 DIN unit mounted where the stereo pocket usually resides. This is not the best sounding option but it makes wiring a lot easier since it has a built in amp.

To power the front and rear I use JL 300/4 amps. The front 6.5's are bridged to one of the amps. The rear speakers and the dash tweeters are ran off the second JL amp.

I run a JL1000/1 to the 12W7 in a sealed box in the rear cargo area.

Phoenix Gold capacitors are used (6farad total.)

0 gauge wiring is ran with a circuit breaker up by the battery.

I have a Kenwood head unit (KDCX917? IIRC) that decodes Dolby 5.1 automatically. Previously I used a Clarion 7" flip out monitor with touch screen I grew tired of the poor sound quality of this unit. The Kenwood has much nicer preouts and better audio controls.

This is my current setup. The subs change every few months. I am extremely happy with the JL W7 series though. These are some of the best subs that I have ever owned.

Sound quality is excellent on CD's that are Dolby 5.1 encoded. When i used to have the DVD setup movies were awesome.

Dynamat is applied to every possible place that you could stick it. I used an adapter wiring harness from a stereo shop to install the head unit. New speaker wire is ran to everything. Amps are hidden in the back panels where the stock sub used to go. It is loud and has excellent sound quality.

8. Romer

Excellent write-up from this thread

9. Romer

Here is a good post on the LX450 wiring

10. CappyKD

CappyKD

I'll post up my install next week. After I finish and finish documenting it.

I went with a Clarion in dash dvd with 7" screen and the Clarion HD Nav systems for it. I got them both refurb for $550 (normally $999 each part) If anyones interested in where I got it let me know.

11. Romer

Here is a great write-up from this thread

12. Romer

Excellent write-up on a Scion install into an LX450

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/218369-how-i-installed-scion-1808-hu-into-my-lx-450-a.html

13. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

Year of truck: 1995 FJZ80
    Radio installed: Scion Alpine head unit Toyota part number 08600-52838, HBTY501A
    Removed factory Amp yes/no - why if no.: Not removed, just unplugged.
    Cable harness - None require, used the 2 grey plugs that weren't used for the factory 95 unit. Did not use the white plug that was used before.
    Work with existing speakers - even if you upgraded speakers: Yes, using stock speakers.
    Ease of install and steps. e.g., use factory bracket, connected to cable behind radio or removed amp and wired to those connectors, etc.:
    Used factory brackets but had to trim the leading edge before it would screw on. Middle clip that holds the surround to the dash had to be removed. Small access hole cut into Scion unit to clear the heater control mounting screw. Dash clearanced so that the HU would fit flush inside dash. I am betting the HU could be spaced out 1/4 inch and the dash would not need clearanced.

Thank you LexusBen and thank you Toyota;)
    DSCF5417.jpg DSCF5422.jpg

Formulaonehd likes this.
  14. FirstToy

FirstToy

1996 Lexus LX450

Pioneer Pioneer FHP8000BT

*removed factory amp (but will connect it later to drive the sub-woofer seperately)

*Lexus CD changer is not connected but you can make it work by purchasing a seperate cable. (I didn't want to wait and also did not feel the need to have the cd changer)

*Wiring harness used (look at thread for appropriate harness- there are 2 avail)

*stock speakers

*headunit install is straighforward. re-use brackets off old headunit, plug-n-play. no alterations to dash required.

*iPod, USB, CD's, Bluetooth phone (address book storage as well), BT music, cd changer control, aux audio port, remote control w/keypad

*sounds good but I miss the Lexus sub but I think I can wire it up with further thought. simple, but just didn't think of it at the time.

Thread to more pics and info
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/223899-pioneer-2din-headunit-bt-usb-ipod-aux.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  15. Filmpros

Filmpros

16. BenMara

BenMara Asian Redneck

looks like one from a Land Rover i could be wrong

17. Schwein

Schwein

Media:
    Albums:
    Am putting together plans to upgrade my stereo (new) this thread should get some more love from people who've done more recent upgrades!!

18. brittan

brittan

Bump for latest stereo install's.

19. 98 SNAKE EATER

98 SNAKE EATER

1997 Land Cruiser

Sony XAV-W1 (Double DIN Touchscreen DVD HU w/5.1 Surround)

Unplugged Factory Amp behind dash and removed factory sub and amp from rear quarter panel.

Bought Toyota plug and play harness from Circuit City and soldered/heatshrunk all connections to the HU's harness.

It played through the factory speakers and the sound was night and day difference from the factory Toyota HU.

I later replaced the factory door speakers with Pioneer TS-G1643R's and kept the stock front and rear tweeters and it sounds even better.

The installation was straight forward and a direct bolt in with no modification to the dash, however, I did have to slice the lower part of the factory wood trim as the fit was too tight for the tilt screen to operate without binding (see the "A/V" link in my sig for more details)

The sound is incredible!!

I added a pair of 10" KEF KAR subwoofers and a Clarion 7 speaker center channel unit behind the dash.

I also added a pair of 9" LCD monitors in the rear, auxiliary inputs for games, a mic input for Karaoke/Electric guitar and a stand alone DVR unit that records my driving from multiple cameras.

Some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short video showing how the DVR works.

YouTube - Near miss caught on Cruiser cam

If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would do anything differently other than the placement of my subwoofer controller.

I have it mounted below the ignition right in front of the hand throttle hole....

Now that I want to install a hand throttle, I have to relocate the controller somewhere else :doh:

montypr likes this.
  20. OTEP

OTEP

Year of truck- 1993

Radio installed - Equinox ATV AM/FM/TV/DVD/CD/MP3 with AUX touch screen LCD head unit

Removed factory Amp yes/no - NO. Don't know if Mid-East spec units came with one.

Cable harness - buy the Toyota one from BB or Circuit city or other. Hacked pigtails off the original stereo and mated it to new stereo.

work with existing speakers - even if you upgraded speakers. Will work with stock speakers

Ease of install and steps. e.g., use factory bracket, connected to cable behind radio or removed amp and wired to those connectors, etc. - EASY. Shop labor to replace radio is just around equivalent to US$7.00 .

How's it sound? - Not an audiophile, sounds ok to me.

Pics to follow. (I'm at work).