Pioneer 2DIN headunit- BT,USB,iPod,Aux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just installed. It's a great unit for only $250
Pioneer FHP8000BT
*bluetooth phone (required in CA by July)
*iPod (included cable =5th gen or newer iPods)
*tUSB iPod Control on the FH-P800BT is compatible with iPod® (5th generation or later/Firmware Version 1.2 or later/iPod nano Version 1.2 or later). A 3rd or 4th generation iPod® requires CD-IB100II
*aux
*USB flash drive
*CD changer (but I didn't have the plug so I'll do that another time)
*wireless remote

2534452303_81e6cccfd9_b.jpg

aux & usb inputs for iPod, flash drive & aux (unsupported iPods, etc)
2534452893_a73f6c03b3.jpg

the center knob is like a rotary joystick. it's really cool, kind of iPod & joystick combined
2534763991_3ab2d17d5e.jpg

this is a example of the bluetooth phone screen- just push the phone icon to hook up to your phone.
2534763761_7d9ce15330.jpg

this is the scrolling list of music, you can toggle to just the track as well
2535575770_efbcdbce99.jpg

nice remote to use the phone, etc
2536834281_d971cb707a.jpg

wiring harness options:
I have both aftermarket harness adapters for the LX450-

1. keep factory amp - I tried this as it is the most simple. only connect a couple wires and plug-n-play.
problem:The mid range & highs sound fine but the bass is terribly distorted. I don't know the cause.
I dialed down the bass on the headunit w/ no help. Crutchfield couldn't figure out what was wrong either.
This one did not work. couldn't figure out why
harness #1
2530386910_4f5641f86a_b.jpg

2.bypass factory amp - this harness requires alot more hand work connecting wires and running an extension to from the headunit to the connectors over by the amp.
harness #2
2530387228_e4cb0707a3_b.jpg

this is what I ended up with- making an extension harness to reach the 2 plugs by the amp location.

Last edited:
nice, post more pics with it pwred up.
Where did u get the passenger cup holder?

James,
What's the model number on that Pioneer HU? Any trimming of the dash required? How well does it work with the iPod (i.e. navigating menus, etc)? And where did you get it for only $250?

*The Discovery cupholder is one I added when I noticed a friend's Disco 2 had it. I experimented and it works great
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/177644-land-rover-disco-cupholder.html

*FHP8000BT Pioneer - got it thru amazon.com

*harness #1 didn't work. The bass was terribly distorted. I think it was feeding the sub signal everywhere. too bad, it was the plug n play solution.

harness #2 is just like the one the LC guys use. My center console sub is not working now because of the harness does not have subwoofer wires. but it sounds clean and good anyway.

the pita is that the plugs are all the way over by the glovebox so you have to make a extension harness from the radio to the plugs.

below, you can see the 2 white plugs on the right, (next to the glovebox in the speaker hole).
2534450365_d9eb4f9771_b.jpg

removal of the factory amp behind the dash speaker
2535263664_949a113531.jpg

no cutting, it's a standard 2DIN opening and looks clean
2535265294_8ff52a5431.jpg

reuse the brackets on the old radio, they bolt right up.

hands free phone mic is on the a-pillar
2535265906_b1f018a2d7.jpg

usb & aux plugs routed to center console for easy access
2536638325_3d0f8925aa.jpg

Last edited:
the pita is that the plugs are all the way over by the glovebox so you have to make a extension harness from the radio to the plugs.

OK, I'm a little confused on this part cause reading through pigbuggy's install thread, it looks like he plugged into the harness behind the HU and just unplugged the OEM amp :confused:

this is for a LX450. it's different than a LC.

there are 2 plugs behind the radio- one that looks like the connector for harness #1 and a smaller CD changer controller plug.

the LC has 2 connectors like harness #2. The LX450 has those same 2 connectors but they are over on the side as pictured

Does the power antenna still work correctly (goes down when playing anything but tuner, goes up when tuner is active)?

Do the lights dim when the headlights are turned on?

this is for a LX450. it's different than a LC.

there are 2 plugs behind the radio- one that looks like the connector for harness #1 and a smaller CD changer controller plug.

the LC has 2 connectors like harness #2. The LX450 has those same 2 connectors but they are over on the side as pictured

Ahh, didn't know that :doh:

Would this be the correct harness set?

70-1761 Toyota/Scion 87-07; Plugs into Car Harness at radio, (Power/4-Speaker);

70-1761.jpg

When I search for 97 TLC on that site, it only shows the low level type harness (uses factory amps)

that looks like the right harness.

I was brainstorming and figured out how to get my subwoofer operational again (does not apply to LC owners). I'll have to do that another time b/c I don't want to take it apart again! :)

BT phone sounds clear. The caller comes thru the speakers so no problem hearing them. They don't seem to notice the diff between normal phone use. It's pretty cool, just start the car and your phone pairs up automatically.

Note there is a 'noise filter' -lo/med/hi. I have to play with that once the truck is at full noise w/ tires humming & exhaust booming at freeway speed :) I am not sure if you want less filter (or more) to keep from having your voice cut-out.

It also can download your phonebook, so you can dial & answer by name on the radio.

also, I think the BT Audio means that any BT music device can be paired and you can listen to music/books that way. I have not played w/ that yet.

Thats a sweet setup James.

One important note after looking up the specs is it plays mp3 CD's You can get 10 hours of music on a MP3 CD.

Thats a sweet setup James.

One important note after looking up the specs is it plays mp3 CD's You can get 10 hours of music on a MP3 CD.

Good point, I forgot to mention it has a CD player!:doh:

I am thinking of buying a small USB 2.0 portable HD. They are pretty cheap and I could hold my entire library on it. I assume it would work like just like a flash drive.

Hmmm got me thinking with this one, I have about 330 Gigs of mp3's.

How does the menuing work, my music is catolog , genre, musician, album/disk (depends on age), track. Would I be able to work thru that type of menu?

330gigs?! wow man

well the menu goes from folder (you can scroll thru all your folders) ---click to-->song (scroll thru songs in that folder)
it's similar to using a iPod.

also, display options so you can show folder/song, artist/song, artist/album, etc

I have some weird extra folders in my flash drive, not sure why.

I would think with that much music, you would be better off w/ a touch screen-based unit...

thought this was an important update-

my Flash drives would work fine but w/ I tried a portable 320G HD, it would not. Thru some research I found that is too large to be powered by the head unit. It seems that around 100-200G is the limit (I don't know the actual, just approx.) If you want to go bigger, you have to hook up seperate power for the HD (there are 12v adapters but I didn't want all the wiring mess)

So, I got this great little 20 gig HD. It's the size of a Zippo and only $32
31rXk14Jr-L._SS400_.jpg
31vyhe0B4QL._SS400_.jpg

works great and holds all my music (my iPod was 20gig so this works perfect)
It comes in larger sizes so you can experiment what the max size the Pioneer can power
good luck!

Awesome. Thanks for the write up. That may be my next radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom