1997 LX 450 radio install help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to install a Pioneer AVIC D-1 Nav system/radio in a 1997 LX 450. Here is my problem, the factory radio has a external amplifyer and am not sure how to wire the new radio into this amp. i am also having no luck finding a wiring schmatic for a 1997 LX 450. The 1995-1998 Landcruiser wiring is different than the Lexus wiring in color. I have checked the factory Toyota Landcruiser manusal and they have been no help because of the wiring differances. Any help would be greatly appricated.
wolfer15237@comcast.net

Wolfer,
I just completed installing AVIC-D1 in my 97 LX 450. You can just connect the oem speakers to the front and rear speakers output from the NAV unit bypassing the oem amp. This option should give you a decent sound. There is also a RCA output for the sub if you choose to connect an external sub.

If you still want to use the oem amp then you will need a "Toyota amp integration harness, #70-8112" from Metra. I bought mine from Fry's but you can search for this on the internet. This is the way I connected my NAV unit because I have DD system set up in my truck and needed an extra amp. The set-up works great, however there is a faint turn-off pop from the speakers when the truck is turned off....just FYI. I am still working on a solution for this.

I love the AVIC-D1 unit and will soon post a write-up here.

Good luck.
Pradeep

Wolfer,
I have the wiring diagram around the radio and the amp (courtsey of Rookie2). Send me a PM if you need any help on this.

Pradeep

Wiring codes around radio/amp for LX450

Wolfer,
Rookie2 had sent me the wiring diagrams of the radio and the amp for a LX450. Shown below is my attempt in laying out for you the pins in various connectors.

There are two connectors at the back of the oem radio. One connects the CD changer and the other, "R1" connects the radio to the amp. This white 15 pin connector, "R1" (female) has the pins laid out as follows:

1^^2^^3^^4^^^^^^^^^5^^6^^7
8^^9^^^^10^11^12^13^^^14^15

1 = amp turn on; blue
2 = ILL +
3 = ACC; blue/red
4 = Bat +; blue/white
5 = Mute; white
6 = FL; green
7 = FR; blue
8 = ANT turn on
9 = ILL (variable controlled by the dimmer)
10 = Telephone mute; red/green
11 = Power ground; Violet
12 = Signal ground; brown
13 = Beep; black
14 = RL; yellow
15 = RR; red

There are 3 connectors to the oem amp. The one that corresponds to "R1" is called "S16" at the amp. This white 15 pin connector "S16" connects the radio to the amp. The pin configuration in the female connector is:

1^^X^^3^^4^^^^^^^^^5^^6^^7
X^^X^^^^^X^11^12^13^^^14^15

1 = amp turn on; blue
2 = blank
3 = ACC; blue/red
4 = Bat +; blue/white
5 = Mute; white
6 = FL; green
7 = FR; blue
8 = blank
9 = blank
10 = blank
13 = Beep; black
14 = RL; yellow
15 = RR; red

Another one is a 10 hole (7 pin), gray connector which supplies power to the amp and connects the front speakers. The pins in the female are:

1^^2^^^^^^^^3^^4
5^^6^^7^^X^^X^^X

1 = FR speaker +; light green
2 = FL speaker +; pink
3 = ACC; gray
4 = Bat +; blue/yellow
5 = FR speaker -; blue
6 = FL speaker -; violet
7 = Ground; brown

The third connector, "S17" is gray and has 6 pins for the rear and subwoofer connections. The pins layout in the female connector is:

1^^^^^^^^3
3^^4^^5^^6

1 = RR speaker +; red
2 = RL speaker +; black
3 = RR speaker -; white
4 = woofer +; light gray/black
5 = woofer -; light green/red
6 = RL speaker -; yellow

Please double check the pins and wire colors for your truck before install. Keep us updated with your project.

Pradeep

Do what i did, call up Crutchfield and ask for one of their techs!!!!

They are SUPER helpful and the guy talked me through the entire process while i was doing it! Only thing i bought from them was a $99 iPod adapter and they were SUPER helpful and i was very impressed!

As for the wiring color, there SHOULD be a lable on your factory stereo with all the colors and what they are for. Almost every OEM stereo i have seen has these.

My .02

Does anyone (Cruiserdan) have a model number for the actual wiring harness adapter for the factory radio. IE. Can it be purchased. I have the old radio deck out and want to use it in anther car, but the radio no longer has the harness with it. Any aftermarket harness's are helpful too.

Thanks

Think Best Buy, or Circuit City

Does anyone (Cruiserdan) have a model number for the actual wiring harness adapter for the factory radio. IE. Can it be purchased. I have the old radio deck out and want to use it in anther car, but the radio no longer has the harness with it. Any aftermarket harness's are helpful too.

Thanks

Always a lot in stock there. Best Buy has a great website where you can locate the item before going, call to verify, and go get it.

D

Good to know when I do mine. Thanks

Wolfer,
Rookie2 had sent me the wiring diagrams of the radio and the amp for a LX450. Shown below is my attempt in laying out for you the pins in various connectors.

There are two connectors at the back of the oem radio. One connects the CD changer and the other, "R1" connects the radio to the amp. This white 15 pin connector, "R1" (female) has the pins laid out as follows:

1^^2^^3^^4^^^^^^^^^5^^6^^7
8^^9^^^^10^11^12^13^^^14^15

1 = amp turn on; blue
2 = ILL +
3 = ACC; blue/red
4 = Bat +; blue/white
5 = Mute; white
6 = FL; green
7 = FR; blue
8 = ANT turn on
9 = ILL (variable controlled by the dimmer)
10 = Telephone mute; red/green
13 = Beep; black
14 = RL; yellow
15 = RR; red

There are 3 connectors to the oem amp. The one that corresponds to "R1" is called "S16" at the amp. This white 15 pin connector "S16" connects the radio to the amp. The pin configuration in the female connector is:

1^^X^^3^^4^^^^^^^^^5^^6^^7
X^^X^^^^^X^11^12^13^^^14^15

1 = amp turn on; blue
2 = blank
3 = ACC; blue/red
4 = Bat +; blue/white
5 = Mute; white
6 = FL; green
7 = FR; blue
8 = blank
9 = blank
10 = blank
13 = Beep; black
14 = RL; yellow
15 = RR; red

Another one is a 10 hole (7 pin), gray connector which supplies power to the amp and connects the front speakers. The pins in the female are:

1^^2^^^^^^^^3^^4
5^^6^^7^^X^^X^^X

1 = FR speaker +; light green
2 = FL speaker +; pink
3 = ACC; gray
4 = Bat +; blue/yellow
5 = FR speaker -; blue
6 = FL speaker -; violet
7 = Ground; brown

The third connector, "S17" is gray and has 6 pins for the rear and subwoofer connections. The pins layout in the female connector is:

1^^^^^^^^3
3^^4^^5^^6

1 = RR speaker +; red
2 = RL speaker +; black
3 = RR speaker -; white
4 = woofer +; light gray/black
5 = woofer -; light green/red
6 = RL speaker -; yellow

Please double check the pins and wire colors for your truck before install. Keep us updated with your project.

Pradeep
This info was incredibly helpful. Had to keep my amp installed for power to stereo, etc.. just went around it for the speaker wires. Thanks
'97 lx 450

Howdy Gents,

I've found so much helpful information here on the new-to-me 1997 Lexus LX450. I've always wanted this fine fine machine and some ne'er-do-well in San Francisco stole my car a few weeks ago, and I finally jumped in and loving it.

I'm trying to swap out the stock double din Pioneer kex-p9066zt stereo with a fancy new one with everything and a back up camera. However, I have been everywhere online, talked with Crutchfield, and been to 2 stereo installation shops and no one knows where to get the proper wiring harness to attach to the new stereo wires.

This is what all of the sights say is compatible, but the plugs are far too small...
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1761..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0PG278ZQWBT9VBBH8CAJ

Or this which only handles the amp.
Metra 70-8112 Receiver Wiring Harness

Attached is the back of the stereo which looks like no others online.

Super frustrated and could really use some help.

Thanks Amigos!

FullSizeRender.jpg

You check the Scosche kits? They make a bunch of different patch cable harnesses.

This is the harness I used:Amazon.com: Scosche Radio Wiring Harness for 1987-Up Toyota Power/4 Speaker Connector: Car Electronics

It looks the same as what you have. The difference is I did what everyone else on here did- extend all the wires on both harnesses by 20" so you can plug into two of the plugs on the factory amp. Remove the factory amp and throw it in the trash. Remove the glove box and the right front speaker next to the glove box and it's right there.
Take the blue wire from the Pioneer (amp turn-on) and connect it to the violet wire on the plug right behind the factory head unit. That powers your power antenna. The green e-brake wire can run right under the console to the e-brake switch. You'll have to run an RCA with a power wire to the back for the cam. It was very easy to run mine along the passenger side and tap into the red/blue wire coming out of the reverse light for power.

More info here:
NEED HELP: Stereo Install 96 LX450 w/ amp/cd changer removal

FYI: Don't use wire nuts! Solder and shrink-wrap or use crimped butt connectors. It's not hard, you can do it.

Unhook the amps in RH Front Passenger Kick Panel and Rear RH Back Qtr and you should be good.
Don't Lexus have a Woofer in Center Console?

Unhook the amps in RH Front Passenger Kick Panel and Rear RH Back Qtr and you should be good.
Don't Lexus have a Woofer in Center Console?
Yes, but the amp is in the dash, not the kick panel and there's nothing in the rear quarter.

You check the Scosche kits? They make a bunch of different patch cable harnesses.
Yes, but the amp is in the dash, not the kick panel and there's nothing in the rear quarter.

Thanks Gents, great info. Ordering the new harness now and hoping that it fits my weird system. Looks like they are 6 pin and 10 pin connectors and my particular LX450 harness (which no one from Lexus, Scoche, or 2 stereo installation shops has ever seen) has a 12 pin and a 15 pin connectors. Fingers crossed this new harness will work.

This is the harness I used:Amazon.com: Scosche Radio Wiring Harness for 1987-Up Toyota Power/4 Speaker Connector: Car Electronics

It looks the same as what you have. The difference is I did what everyone else on here did- extend all the wires on both harnesses by 20" so you can plug into two of the plugs on the factory amp. Remove the factory amp and throw it in the trash. Remove the glove box and the right front speaker next to the glove box and it's right there.
Take the blue wire from the Pioneer (amp turn-on) and connect it to the violet wire on the plug right behind the factory head unit. That powers your power antenna. The green e-brake wire can run right under the console to the e-brake switch. You'll have to run an RCA with a power wire to the back for the cam. It was very easy to run mine along the passenger side and tap into the red/blue wire coming out of the reverse light for power.

More info here:
NEED HELP: Stereo Install 96 LX450 w/ amp/cd changer removal

FYI: Don't use wire nuts! Solder and shrink-wrap or use crimped butt connectors. It's not hard, you can do it.
This is exactly what I did when I installed my HU in the truck.

I should be picking up my Kenwood DDX393 sometime this week, and the place I purchased it from sourced the adapter kit. Will let you know what I got.

I'm holding out for the new JBL CP100. Looks promising due to reasonable price, super simple style and good features. Pretty much a dedicated Car Play head unit, but has bluetooth capability. Supposed to finally hit market in August.

JBL Legend CP100 | Touch Screen In-Dash Receiver

Interesting. Not really up to speed with latest tech gadgetry and what CarPlay is all about, but I intend to keep using my dash mounted iPad with my Kenwood unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom