New electrical gremlin and out-of-town. Any easy fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping someone has seen this one and has an easy fix. Out of town driving through our local mountains when my aftermarket radio started to intermittently shutdown and immediately restart. Annoying, but was not particularly concerned at first. Unfortunately, my gauge cluster decided to join the party, losing function and lights before coming right back to life. Radio went out about 10 times on a 15 mile drive but the gauges only went out 3 of those times. No apparent effect on drivability.

My 99 LX is new to me and this is her first time out for a weekend trip. I should note, I did hit some very mild fire roads yesterday. No issues seen all morning today but this afternoon was a different story. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks All!!

Check your battery terminals for looseness or corrosion. Also check terminal block on positive terminal of battery.

First, I'd check that your battery terminals are tight and theres no corrosion on them. Hopefully it's as easy as that. If not, I'd start looking at your charging voltage and make sure the alternator is still working.

Check your battery terminals for looseness or corrosion. Also check terminal block on positive terminal of battery.
@Skidoo Thanks for the quick response. Battery terminals are clean and tight. Terminal block connections are tight as well.

First, I'd check that your battery terminals are tight and theres no corrosion on them. Hopefully it's as easy as that. If not, I'd start looking at your charging voltage and make sure the alternator is still working.
@sean9241 Thank you. I don't have a multimeter available but my voltage readout on my usb plugs is 13.9v with engine running

tempImagenibuzs.png

tempImage1tIB3Q.png

Does the voltage stay at 13.9 when the radio and dash cut out? Next I'd check the ground wire going from the negative terminal to the chassis. Make sure that's clean and tight as well.

Does the voltage stay at 13.9 when the radio and dash cut out? Next I'd check the ground wire going from the negative terminal to the chassis. Make sure that's clean and tight as well.
Ground to the chassis is clean and tight. TBD on the voltage on cut out. Can't get it to do it at the cabin. Guess I'm heading back out for another drive... Thanks for the help!

Check this connection, especially the underside. I had similar issues and this was corroded so bad on the underside that I had to replace the terminal.

1E495569-780F-455A-84D7-AB931F0411F8.jpeg

Take it apart, clean, grease and put it back together with battery grease on a scrubbed terminal.

Check this connection, especially the underside. I had similar issues and this was corroded so bad on the underside that I had to replace the terminal.

View attachment 2529484
Take it apart, clean, grease and put it back together with battery grease on a scrubbed terminal.
Thank you. Gave a little attention to the terminals this morning. No issues at all on the 3 hour drive home. Appreciate the help, All.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom