New Denso starter hiccup & clutch issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have experienced a half-a-dozen times this winter a problem with a brand new starter. I replaced the primary wire from the battery when I made the swap while installing the new 3.0. Occasionally, when I turn the key, I get nothing. No click, just nothing. A VERY light tap on the starter allows the function to be back to normal. It seems to always happen at the worst locations due to snow or mud (of course!!) A jump start from another vehicle worked the first time. I can't find any loose connections or bad wires at this point so far. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

On another note- I also have an issue with the clutch constantly moving out of adjustment. It appears that the pressure of the clutch fluid system keeps building up, thus making the clutch release point slowly moving towards the top of the pedal throw, until there is no more disengagement. I have been going under the truck every 2 weeks or so to bleed a bit of pressure from the slave cylinder in order to keep the clutch functioning. I'm getting tired of having to add fluid to the system & crawling under the truck all the time.
I have not ruled out the possibility that I did indeed install the clutch disk backwards (?). Is it possible that it has been working like this? I went in circles during the clutch/transmission install, so I won't rule anything out.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I've seen alot of clutch MC come with the wrong length pushrod.

your starter issue would likely be fixed with a relay or relay rewire. voltage drop in these old wires is real.

I'd suggest new brushes in the starter. The Denso (Nippondenso) starters are very easy to work on. Spend the few extra bucks and get the brushes from Toyota, they have the wires already connected. It will take much longer to remove and replace the starter then to replace the brushes.

I've seen alot of clutch MC come with the wrong length pushrod.

your starter issue would likely be fixed with a relay or relay rewire. voltage drop in these old wires is real.
Wrong length even from Denso? I guess given the current state of affairs for all parts supply chains, it would not be a big surprise. Thank you, I'll look into both suggestions.
Thanks!

I'd suggest new brushes in the starter. The Denso (Nippondenso) starters are very easy to work on. Spend the few extra bucks and get the brushes from Toyota, they have the wires already connected. It will take much longer to remove and replace the starter then to replace the brushes.
I'm going to check out the wiring (again). With a brand new starter, a rebuild may be easy, but (should be) unnecessary, unless I got a fluke Denso unit.
Thanks for the reply!

Oh I didn't catch that "brand new starter". Yeah check the wiring. It's just that a starter with bad brushes does exactly that. Guessing it's not the relay since tapping on the starter "fixes" it. BTW the starter is under the dash on the driver's side above and behind (towards the firewall) in your truck.

Oh I didn't catch that "brand new starter". Yeah check the wiring. It's just that a starter with bad brushes does exactly that. Guessing it's not the relay since tapping on the starter "fixes" it. BTW the starter is under the dash on the driver's side above and behind (towards the firewall) in your truck.
On the list for tomorrow, if the weather holds up. aPIA to get to, for sure. Thanks for taking an interest in my plight- I'll report back....

On the list for tomorrow, if the weather holds up. aPIA to get to, for sure. Thanks for taking an interest in my plight- I'll report back....

I Meant starter RELAY clearly not the starter... it's a small black box next to a silver round thing. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom