New clutch job, now making mild noises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a clutch job done about 800 miles ago--new clutch, new t/o, new pilot, resurfacing, etc.--and while the clutch works great, I'm getting some noises.

I know it's cold, but on startup I get a quiet, high-pitched whine; when I push clutch pedal down, I get a different whine. None of these are nearly as bad as the squeal I got when my t/o seized, but they're noticeable both inside and outside the truck. After warming up, things quiet down.

How normal is this? Is it just the new bearings finding their groove, so to speak? Is it just the cold wave we have? Should I stop being such a :princess: and just live with it? :rolleyes:

Anyone get this after a new clutch? (Oh, job was done by a seasoned LC pro.)

Did they use OEM parts, or did they get whatever they can find to save a few bucks?

Doesn't sound right though - not at all. Is there any vibration involved, or just the whine? Wondering if it's the bearings or if it has something to do with having the resurfacing done, causing strain where it doesn't belong (if that makes sense.)

Ungrateful heap of junk. Spend all that money on the clutch and awesome wheels and look what it does.

fsusteve said:
Just for s***'s and grins, check yer fluid levels in both cases.

Damn, you mean I gotta do something? What the hell are you guys for, then? :D

Yeah, I was thinking that, but it the ground is so freaking cold, and I got no garage. . . . You think my tranny might be low or might have pumped into the T-case?

Holy crap, that would do it. might give you the opportunity to sock someone in the nose (if they are empty).

I have to retract the resurfacing remark - the whine would stay the same if it were on that end of the spectrum.

I think something is up with the bearings, or, like Steve said, you're running empty cases. That would suck so bad though...

I'm thinking they may have drained it to drop the tranny/transfer. I have heard of the seal between going weak when you drop a tranny, but I don't know about that.

Wait, you know what? You could half-assed check the tranny by doing a rolling test. Get up and moving so you hear the noise, shut the engine off and push in the clutch and let 'er roll a while. See if the sound is still there.

I dunno, I'm just guessin here, trying to get my post count up. (j/k)

Jman said:
Damn, you mean I gotta do something? What the hell are you guys for, then? :D

Yeah, I was thinking that, but it the ground is so freaking cold, and I got no garage. . . . You think my tranny might be low or might have pumped into the T-case?

I think it's worth a check, cheap things first baby.

Mine was also doing these grinding noises after I got my kit that I bought fron CCOT and after about 3 weeks of driving around it went away and havent heard and grinding or squiiling at all.

Sheesh, actually start a decent project and all I get is flack. :flipoff2:

Noise turned out to be a few things working together:

1. The cold. Did I mention it was fxxxing cold at the time? Yeah, I think I mentioned that.

2. The fact that I was waaaaaaaaay low on coolant (water pump had no lubrication at startup on cold days).

3. One of my belts was a tad loose and was slipping in the cold.

All those factors were making noises were happening at the same time, coming through the firewall. Gear oil was fine. :rolleyes:

Jeez J - you finally find the latch for the hood to take care of things (leaks, belts, etc) and you wind up yanking the carb off of the damn thing. :rolleyes:

You need to get a hobby of some sort. (I hear old 4x4s are a lot of fun!)

i thought you died!!

:doh: j-man...were ya' been? i havent seen you at the other place, and it took me months to be able to re-registar here
gotta get off my ass, and do my clutch too. making the same noises as yours, but REAL loud now.
who did yours? you still in J-City?
did you do it yourself?

Hammer

swank60 said:
Jeez J - you finally find the latch for the hood to take care of things (leaks, belts, etc) and you wind up yanking the carb off of the damn thing. :rolleyes:

You need to get a hobby of some sort. (I hear old 4x4s are a lot of fun!)

You guys really made me laugh. Especially Jman's comment about the ground being Fxxxxing cold. My first major repair to my 60 was to replace a busted motor mount. I did in in the street (no driveway, no garage), after dark, in the pouring rain. I had water streaming down the gutter, making a detour down my neck, back, and probably even my butt crack. And I like most of my repairs, I had no idea what I was doing. I remember vividly thinking that I might have made a mistake purchasing an old truck...

lovetoski said:
You guys really made me laugh. Especially Jman's comment about the ground being Fxxxxing cold. My first major repair to my 60 was to replace a busted motor mount. I did in in the street (no driveway, no garage), after dark, in the pouring rain. I had water streaming down the gutter, making a detour down my neck, back, and probably even my butt crack. And I like most of my repairs, I had no idea what I was doing. I remember vividly thinking that I might have made a mistake purchasing an old truck...

my garage has no electricity, so i was forced to replace my alternator in the rain and it was about 34F outside. it took me forever to do it because i kept having to come inside and thaw out my hands. i thought latex gloves might help, but no such luck. i can deal with the rain, but it is really difficult to do anything when its cold.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom