New clutch,intermittent hard shifting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 86 Toyota truck 4x4 5 speed had a new clutch kit installed(Sachs),shifted fine for a few weeks then became almost impossible to shift into first or reverse.The shop bled the system and that lasted another three weeks and same problem.Took it in again and he bled it once more and changed the slave,again the same scenario after weeks.Took in again to the shop and he adjusted something under the dash(guessing the CMC rod) and it lasted another three weeks or so before getting difficult to shift today.In the mornings I let it idle a few minutes and then drive around till the T-stat opens and it seems to shift fine except for an occasional grind in reverse.Sometimes it shifts fine,other times difficult or not at all.But it's getting worse day by day.The slave and MC cylinders are new,no cracks or flex seen in the clutch pedal bracket,no leaks and pedal is firm.Is it possible the shop installed something wrong/or damaged the clutch kit on installation?Why would it shift good after bleeding and or adjusting the CMC rod and then return to hard shifting weeks later...thanks for any input as I'm not mechanical at all,half disabled and broke.:confused:

could be a junk master/slave.

I have a 94 2wd 5spd and recently had a similar issue, I had an advance auto parts master worked fine for awhile then cra pp ed. Tried 3 other ones and they were all junk, bought an AISIN brand and it was perfect.

also if they adjusted the rod out to much the slave could have constant pressure on it slipping the clutch. there should be about 1/2-1" of play before you feel solid pressure....had this problem on a 85 4x4 I had.

My 93 shifts erratically at best. In my case I'm thinking the tranny needs a rebuild.

Sounds like if bleeding it makes a difference, and it goes bad slowly again. Like you're leaking air in from somewhere. Bad hose from the hard line to the slave maybe? got disturbed when they had the trans out and developed a small leak. I've seen rubber hoses break so they act like a check valve and let air in, but not fluid out. Same with poorly rebuilt masters and slaves too.

In the really out in left field of possibilities, I had exactly your symptoms with my '84. Turned out to be a t/o bearing fork with a crack in it. Don't know why bleeding the system made a temporary difference, but it did.

In the really out in left field of possibilities, I had exactly your symptoms with my '84. Turned out to be a t/o bearing fork with a crack in it. Don't know why bleeding the system made a temporary difference, but it did.

This actually makes sense. Bleeding the system will re-adjust the position of the slave plunger, to accommodate the clutch fork position. Then the fork will bend a little more, till the clutch won't work.

Worth checking out...

The way that I found it was getting my head in where I could watch the fork as someone else pushed on the pedal. When I could see it "bending" I knew it had to come out.

Same kinda deal with my 95 4runner.....The bracket that holds the clutch pedal was bent! I only found out after it broke completely...if the bracket is bent or broken it wont push correctly onto the slave cylinder....I used self tapping screw and a brace but I will eventually need to weld it...

Also the slave or master cylinder is crap from the auto parts store...the bolt was not long enough I could not adjust it much....hoping that the AISIN brand will work better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom