New bolt-in version of the seat box. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In that case I'll mod the one in my truck to fit yours, will probably be easiest for me, cheaper for you, and already has nice epoxy sealer over most of it.

Do you want to mount that ammo can over a smugglers hatch so you can use the storage underneath?
I've been playing with making a tip-back console mount kit and I pretty much have that all set.

Made a video of the mock-up:
This one is off to powder coat, will get it installed and tested shortly.

Last edited:
Is that even a question? Of course man, that'd be awesome!

Need the dimensions of the can I've got? I'm pretty sure it's your typical large ammo can, but I can send the dimensions just to be sure.

That's an ingenious way to take advantage of that storage space and retain a console to rest your arm on.

Know what's funny though, I still haven't figured out what to store in the side panels :lol: I need to invest in some tool rolls!

Where do you get these ideas??!?!?!

Where do you get these ideas??!?!?!

OCD :bang:

Send me the dimensions of the can and also a pic of where you have it mounted, one that shows it's relation to the hand brake so i can make some guesstiments for placement, also note if you don't like it's current position at all, might be able to accommodate some changes.

For those of you getting a console flip setup here is an overview of what is involved:

First off you'll need to drill and mount the hinge. In this case the seat box has the bump out so the console goes flush with the back, you might be drilling on the base of the console if you want it to fly off the back edge.

IMG_1177.jpg

Now you need to get this thing bolted to the base so that the pin engages the latch:
IMG_1231.jpg

Latch it in place and bring the console up to meet it and make a mark where the arm hits the box, that is where you will need a slot.
IMG_1232.jpg

Now just make a rough mark for where each side sits.
IMG_1234.jpg

So you now have the center and the extents marked out where the arm needs to go through the base.
IMG_1235.jpg

You want the slot all the way to where my fingers rest in this pic, otherwise it might interfere with latch function.
IMG_1236.jpg

Starter hole:
IMG_1237.jpg

Enlarge.
IMG_1238.jpg

Make sure it's big enough to clear the arm.
IMG_1241.jpg

Then cut your slot. I used a cutoff wheel, a jig saw would work just as well.
IMG_1242.jpg

After the slot is in place you should be able to set the bracket and latch in place on the pin and mark and drill for the mount holes.
IMG_1244.jpg

I found the floor of the console to be too weak to give a nice positive feel to the latch so I made these reinforcing plates for inside the box.
IMG_1300.jpg

They will make a sandwich plate when bolted together with the lower bracket and the edge bolts will use the strong vertical wall to cancel any deflection.
IMG_1301.jpg

The holes are slotted to allow for a ton of misalignment. I made these plates off the measurements of this old console a customer sent me, I sure hope the newer ones measure the same.
IMG_1302.jpg

Then there are two holes that need to be drilled on each side, if you do this with the bracket already in place it will be easy to determine just where they should go, about 5/8" up from the bottom.
IMG_1305.jpg

And about 1 5/8" apart, it's not very precise.
IMG_1306.jpg

All bolted into place.
IMG_1308.jpg

Sturdy:
IMG_1310.jpg

Check the video above to see the console in action, the only thing let to do is attach the end of the cable somewhere so it's easy to find and pull to actuate the flip.

I also changed the design on the rear center bolts (seat belt bolts) since we are finding their placement to be almost arbitrary in their inconsistencies.
The bracket is now bolted to the box and can slide from side to side to hopefully catch any of the mount holes.

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Got my prototype box in the cruiser and mounted up with some Turbo SR5 4Runner seats. I LOVE IT! Thanks Kevin!!!

Wow, and it actually fit?
That one was a shot in the dark, I figured for sure you would have to do some chopping and welding at least.
:cheers:

There was some chopping, no welding though. Not only was the box for an early 60, my floor is already modified to fit the drive train.

It only took a day to get the drivers seat and box installed. Making brackets is super easy because of the flat mounting surface!

This may have been addressed already however I'll ask anyway. I am 6'2" and find that the leg room is less than comfortable in my 82 fj60. Will this allow me to place the seats further back and will it lift the seat a bit to allow a little more leg room?

I would guess there are going to be no more of these made, but if you already have one and it's not installed... Yes you can position the seat anywhere on the top of the box you want. There are no seat holes in the lids. You drill them where you want them. And you can use bushing to raise the seat as high as you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom