New BBQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
After 20 years, my trusty Weber natural gas grill was giving up the ghost and replacement parts were mostly discontinued, much like our beloved 80 series parts!

Got a killer deal on Weber's new big 6 burner grill and finished the install with the gas hook up this morning. Look forward to breaking this one in!
20190313_103424.jpg

What? 20 years only and no parts? All my Webers are at least that old, that's not good. What parts can't be found that you needed?
But the new one looks great! Congrats! Have a Ribeye for me!

What? 20 years only and no parts? All my Webers are at least that old, that's not good. What parts can't be found that you needed?
But the new one looks great! Congrats! Have a Ribeye for me!
Manifold in particular.

What times dinner?
Salmon about 8 tomorrow evening. :cool: Let it run about 20 minutes on high tonight to burn off any mfg residue, etc.

Salmon about 8 tomorrow evening. :cool: Let it run about 20 minutes on high tonight to burn off any mfg residue, etc.

Dam, I'll have to pass. Gotta be in Gorman early Friday for the National Hare Scrambles this weekend. Rain Check?

Water under the bridge for you now Brent, but old Webers are easy to find on Craigslist for free in my area. And the manifold has always been fine on the ones I got. Even the burners were always good, it's pretty much only the grille, sparker, and the heat plates that suffer from old age and not very fast at that. Solid stuff. Not cheap new though as I'm sure you know.

I've had a Weber S-660 since 2012, you'll love it.

Water under the bridge for you now Brent, but old Webers are easy to find on Craigslist for free in my area. And the manifold has always been fine on the ones I got. Even the burners were always good, it's pretty much only the grille, sparker, and the heat plates that suffer from old age and not very fast at that. Solid stuff. Not cheap new though as I'm sure you know.
Yep - Buy quality and it'll usually last. I'd replaced the burners a few times because the crossovers stopped working. Flavorizer bars a few times, etc. You know the drill. Completely rebuilt it once with new bolts etc. Hole where the igniters went was so rusted I couldn't even position a new igniter properly any longer. Few rust areas at the back as well. It'd live a very useful life!

I've had a Weber S-660 since 2012, you'll love it.
Great to hear! Looking forward to this one lasting 20 years as well. I'll be 81 by then! LOL! You use the sear station much?

What the? You grill with gas?

Blasphemy.
I think anything that generates smoke these days in Kalifornia would bring down the AQMD police! No wood burning fires any longer, that's for sure.

I think anything that generates smoke these days in Kalifornia would bring down the AQMD police! No wood burning fires any longer, that's for sure.

For real?

I cook on a Kamado Joe, let the smoke roll brother!

For real?

I cook on a Kamado Joe, let the smoke roll brother!
Wood fires, yes in new homes. Been told that I 'technically' can't convert the one gas log fireplace I have back to wood burning. Other two are going fireglass with our renovation (gas logs too right now). We just don't burn wood because my daughter has smoke allergies! Joking about BBQing with coal, but I certainly wouldn't put it past Kalifornia at some point! Been grilling with NG for over 20 years and won't go back to coal. This new one has a smoker box built in, so I may have to give that a try!

Are we talking about the same kind of Webers? Mine have zero rust anywhere except the heat plates after well over 20 yrs. And the body being solid thick cast aluminum, not much chance of that....

I will reluctantly admit to having a long time ago bought a snazzy looking SS grill from costco with infrared burners and the whole shabang. That one did actually rust through in various places in 2 or 3 years... Piece of ^$%^*.... That's when I switched to Webers.

I, for one, am not going back to charcoal soon either. I use my grills way too often to bother with that. I do enjoy the timelessness and atmosphere (gasp) of charcoal, actually, but am way too anal about controlling the temps precisely when grilling to try to figure out charcoal. I will put in some wood to smoke a bit, though, cuz that's easy.

Same Weber. Steel portions rusting a little where high heat is.

I use the sear station occasionally but most of the time I just use it when I warm up the grill (all burners on).

Did my salmon last night on just one half of the grill! This monster heats up so much better than the old one! 3 burners on at medium and the grill was at 450*. 8 minutes and the salmon was perfect.

I think I'm going to like this beast...for the next 20 years!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom