New Aluminum Rad for 80 Series! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey, just wanting to add in my interest to the thread. I'm in the radiator market as well. Needing something that can cool a V8 converted 92. I would prefer an all aluminum vs plastic or Brass. This looks like a promising option.

Let us know how the progress is going.

I live in CA and took the family for a vacation to Laughlin Nevada. We took our 94 FJ and while we were there, the radiator blew! Typical crack right in the top. So, we were stranded til the new crappy aftermarket radiator showed up 2 days later..... I want one of these al rads!:hillbilly:

Have not been on here for awhile as I have been giving my other project 100% of my time to get on the road (75 BMW 2002). I know if there were anything to report it would have been done already.......just hope that this is still in the works.

Any news on this, need a new rad and need to make some decisions.

Cheers P

Unfortunately, no good news....

The second prototype was so messed up, they didn't even bother to send it to me for a test fit. Estimate is another 60 days for a 3rd prototype.

I wouldn't hold your breath for this being ready by summer.

Why risk an option like this to save $100.00 beans or so when you know the OEM 3 row brass is something that will last 15-20 years based on historical data?

Why risk an option like this to save $100.00 beans or so when you know the OEM 3 row brass is something that will last 15-20 years based on historical data?

Because the Shepperd radiator for an early 80 is $100 and mods easily to the later plus its 100% aluminum.

I have 6K on mine going strong never see temps above 190 under full load with air, this weekend was the perfect test, over 90 humidity near 90.

Just bought a 3 row all aluminum radiator for my 91 FJ80 for $144 from www.buyaradiator.com. Great customer service and they get great reviews. Should have it in 3-4 days. I'll post after its installed.

Let me know what.you think when you get it. I ordered a 3 core from Shepherd and when it didn't come called them and the said it was no longer available. They refunded me immediately but I still wasnt too happy

Let me know what.you think when you get it. I ordered a 3 core from Shepherd and when it didn't come called them and the said it was no longer available. They refunded me immediately but I still wasnt too happy

Will do. I called them today to confirm availability and shipment. So hopefully they're not blowing smoke. As soon as I get it, I'll post back.

For price comparison. I just bought a new '94 oem radiator for my '96 for $525.

Last edited:
For price comparison. I just bought a new '94 oem radiator for my '96 for $525.

OUCH! I would always love to buy OEM, but my "rehab" budget is getting pretty skinny. I removed the radiator only to put a new $90 High Pressure PS hose on, and while doing it I dislodged one of the tubes on the radiator (OEM). Radiator shop said it was too far gone and that they couldn't repair it, so had to find a decent deal to get her back on the road. If it last me 2 or 3 years, I'll be happy. Although I'm very interested to see its quality. I read several reviews and all were positive. It is an all-aluminum unit and sounds pretty solid. Guess I'll find out soon.

OUCH! I would always love to buy OEM, but my "rehab" budget is getting pretty skinny. I removed the radiator only to put a new $90 High Pressure PS hose on, and while doing it I dislodged one of the tubes on the radiator (OEM). Radiator shop said it was too far gone and that they couldn't repair it, so had to find a decent deal to get her back on the road. If it last me 2 or 3 years, I'll be happy. Although I'm very interested to see its quality. I read several reviews and all were positive. It is an all-aluminum unit and sounds pretty solid. Guess I'll find out soon.

Ok, update! You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true? Well "buy a radiator" just called and said that they pulled the all-aluminum radiator that I ordered and that it was damaged from being stacked. It'll be 3-4 week wait for another all-aluminum one, so I went ahead and got the aluminum and plastic tank model ordered. I got them to knock off $10 and give me free lifetime warranty ( value $10). Sucks, but it'll get me back in the road.

Ok, update! You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true? Well "buy a radiator" just called and said that they pulled the all-aluminum radiator that I ordered and that it was damaged from being stacked. It'll be 3-4 week wait for another all-aluminum one, so I went ahead and got the aluminum and plastic tank model ordered. I got them to knock off $10 and give me free lifetime warranty ( value $10). Sucks, but it'll get me back in the road.

New update. Got the radiator and it seems fine. Had to do a little grinding to get it to fit right, but no big deal. It is very light, but I drove it for about 20 miles today and all seems fine. Cooling just as well as my OEM. I'll post back if I see any problems. Got the lifetime warranty just in case.

Interested and ready for one

Just bought a 3 row all aluminum radiator for my 91 FJ80 for $144 from www.buyaradiator.com. Great customer service and they get great reviews. Should have it in 3-4 days. I'll post after its installed.

So I'm wondering...

Would the 2 row aluminum/plastic tank rad from these guys be a better choice than the 3 row all metal CSF/Koyo/OEM?

I'd really like to replace mine and an aluminum at that price is tempting. Future plans may include a turbo so I'm wondering if it will keep up or if I should go for a beefier 3 row?

UPDATE - I had pretty much given up on this company. Communication and progress went to nill. I emailed them again last week and they said they'd still like to make this happen...

We'll see what happens...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom