New 91 fj80 owner opinions on front axle work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I bought a 91 fj80 a few weeks ago and it has what appears on the out side of the birfs to be leaking differential seals. I stuck some zip ties in through the square hole and while one side was a little low, the grease did not appear soupy. I did add more moly grease, it diminished the clicking but still there.

I do have some clicking from P/S when turning in a tight radius, can't be heard from the D/S. I tested this by having the wife turn figure 8s around me standing in a parking lot.

I have the wheel bearing play on the P/S (tested by jacking up one front wheels at a time and checking for play from 6/12 o'clock and 3/9 o'clock. Only movement was in the P/S 6/12 o'clock.

It also has some wobble when I apply the brakes at highway speeds. I assume this is from the bearing(s).

Took it to Dealer when I first bought it for check out. They said "replace both birfs due to not being able to be determine which one is bad," they mentioned the braking pulsing/ wobble was due to the caliper being locked at some point and wearing it unevenly. I ordered parts through them but they have not started work because it took 2 weeks to get them all in.

Should I just pick up the parts, other than the birfs and try to do the work myself? Or Take the parts to another shop locally ( not sure if they are cool with bringing in parts). I am worried that the P/S spindle is also worn and that would cost additional + them having to order. I know these trucks are expensive and don't want to start my ownership shelling out dealership service prices if I can help it.

CruiserDan gave me a MUCH better quote on birfs so i could order from him if needed.

There is a shop local that is going to give me a ballpark quote for similar work (waiting to hear if they also will let me bring the parts i bought from Toyota).

Appreciate any feedback/ advice :)

Rebuilding birfs every now and then is just part of Cruiser life; if they are not actually broken then usually all that is needed is to clean and repack the birfs with grease. Replace the inner axle seals and of course the ball wiper seals while you are in there. Good time to repack and adjust the wheel bearings and do the brakes also. Take your time and do it right; not that difficult but messy and it will take you a little time the first time.

Wobble when braking is much more likely to be an unevenly-worn rotor than anything else. Turn or replace rotor(s).

Power steering on an FJ80 can be improved quite a bit by flushing the system and replacing the fluid with synthetic ATF. Not difficult to do yourself; there are instructions here on Mud. Be sure to do the procedure to bleed air out of the system also.

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I am going to check out the rotors and get the axle kit. Is it supposed to come with new bearings?

To add to it - FZJ front rotors warp pretty easily, I've managed to warp every both pairs of OEM I've put on them. If you turn them, they tend to warp quicker the second time. Due to cost, I've now gone to Bosch with the Lifetime Warranty - they warp and you exchange them...

Judging your calipers is simply done by looking at how your pads are wearing - if uneven from in to outside or wearing in a tapered fashion, then they could use replacement or rebuilding. A rebuild kit is about $30 and is a great education, depending on the shape they are in.

On rebuilding your axle - you'll pay a shop probably a MINT, especially with OEM birfs.
It is a terrific learning experience to do it yourself. It will take a whole day, depending how clean you like to get things. For your first rebuild (if you are inclined to do it yourself) I can send you some PDFs on the parts, and a procedure sheet that is useful in conjunction with the FSM. Get a comprehensive rebuild kit with the bearings and seals - several mud vendors sell them, but you can get them at local Toy dealerships that are TLCA friendly (Toyota of Dallas, Toyota of Lewisville), or from Mud user CDan at American Toyota in Albuquerque - he has the kits pre configured.
On the clicking of your birfs - prior to replacing them, try swapping the sides left to right. They have spend their lives wearing primarily on one side of the cage channels. Oftentimes, the clicking will go away by swapping sides. (this tip only if you are wanting to save money. If money is no object, than by all means, plunk down.)

You didn't mention if you have an Factory service manual (FSM). If you don't have one, track one down in the for sale section or ebay. Someone in the FS section is offering free PDF downloads as toyota no longer publishes them,
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-50-60-and-80-series-fsm-for-a-hell-of-a-price.610994/
Forget the Haynes and other manuals. The FSM is about 3 1/2 inches thick and specific to your year.

Hope this helps!
Josh Marten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom