New 2003 Lexus GX470 Owner... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I'm new to the site and love all the content about the GX 470...now I'll be slowly starting my own adventure of SUV improvements using all the great tips from the internets.

My GX is from Michigan (sad face) and apparently spent her entire life in Ann Harbor. I'm a little concerned about what I got myself into...but I'm prepared for this to be a project vehcile. My first order of business will be to address the rust as best as possible.

Like so many users here, I plan to document my journey and capture good/bad/ugly expecriences along the way. I'll appreciate all the positive vibes and honest feedback!!

20210714_175441.jpg
20210714_175450.jpg

Are you aware of the Lexus.com maintenance record? Basically, anyone can make an account on there as an owner and just insert the VIN number of "their" vehicle. So you should pull the maintenance record and check a few big things... The water pump and timing belt need replacing every 90k miles, the rear air suspension typically gives up at some point after 100k so plan on using an aftermarket set at some point. The radiators tend to develop leaks and the dash boards crack over time. There are tons of threads on all of those things. I just got mine a few months back if you want to check out some of the work I did, see the link below. My rust was no where near as significant but I did a bit of repair on it.

welcome to the forum and good luck against the rust

I’m guessing the GR in your name is Grand Rapids? If so hello neighbor!

rust doesn’t look awful for a Michigan car, check on top of the frame rail near the passenger side door, apparently salt pools here and eats away at the frame.

There’s a lot of good resources here, it’s been a huge help!

I’m guessing the GR in your name is Grand Rapids? If so hello neighbor!

rust doesn’t look awful for a Michigan car, check on top of the frame rail near the passenger side door, apparently salt pools here and eats away at the frame.

There’s a lot of good resources here, it’s been a huge help!
Yup, GR is my home base (currently out of state though). Hello neighbor! Thanks for the encouragement and heads up!!

Are you aware of the Lexus.com maintenance record? Basically, anyone can make an account on there as an owner and just insert the VIN number of "their" vehicle. So you should pull the maintenance record and check a few big things... The water pump and timing belt need replacing every 90k miles, the rear air suspension typically gives up at some point after 100k so plan on using an aftermarket set at some point. The radiators tend to develop leaks and the dash boards crack over time. There are tons of threads on all of those things. I just got mine a few months back if you want to check out some of the work I did, see the link below. My rust was no where near as significant but I did a bit of repair on it.

welcome to the forum and good luck against the rust
Yup, I was able to use the VIN to view the records plus got the CarFax. Lots of recent updates including the timing belt and radiator. Unfortunately the previous owners didn’t fix the dash issue while under the warranty.

If you’re in town next week, come up to silver lake for the Toyota takeover!
Yup, GR is my home base (currently out of state though). Hello neighbor! Thanks for the encouragement and heads up!!

Just bought an '03 recently myself. New to offroad and vehicle wrenching beyond oil and brake pads, been doing tons of reading trying to slowly figure out what I want to do.

Just bought an '03 recently myself. New to offroad and vehicle wrenching beyond oil and brake pads, been doing tons of reading trying to slowly figure out what I want to do.
Same here! I am about the furthest thing from a grease monkey as it gets...soft/clean hands from working at a computer my entire adult career. A garage with a lift is a next house requirement...

Same here! I am about the furthest thing from a grease monkey as it gets...soft/clean hands from working at a computer my entire adult career. A garage with a lift is a next house requirement...
theres a couple good shops in holland and hudsonville that specialize in toyotas. i can send you some recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom