"Neutrino" maybe is all Hype and pipe dreams, but looks really cool (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patineto

"Clueless" fourwheel rabbit
Threads
Website
patineto.smugmug.com
You tell me if is a real alternative to a Fuse/relay management system..

Neutrino Black Box

From their page..

"The Black Box is a next-generation power distribution and control system for vehicles...and a whole lot more

Features:
-Fully configurable and controllable via smart phone
-60 amps total capacity over 6 circuits
-20 amp circuit with current spike management
-Delayed sequential circuit startup
-Programmable self-resetting circuit breakers
-Compact... 2” x 3” x .9”
-Fully waterproof and shock-resistant
-Uses easily accessible and reconfigurable screw terminals
-Power and ground planes. Minimizes ground loop and installation problems
-Heavy duty construction using 6 layer circuit board with heavy copper layers
-Remote temperature sensor
-Direct battery charger inputs
-Flexible connection architecture allows for optimal Bluetooth radio placement

More details:
-Fully configurable wherever you are...no need for a PC
-Multiple distribution modules each maintain their own settings so you can move your phone from vehicle to vehicle while retaining all the settings for that vehicle
-Free application software for both iOS and Android
-Free application feature enhancements

- Highly configurable
-Circuit names
-Circuit breaker limits by circuit
-PWM (variable control) or switched control by circuit
-Settings memory by circuit
-Voltage alarm
-Ignition off behavior (auto shut down, timed shut down, voltage-dependent shut down) by circuit
-Auto circuit activation (temperature, sunset)
-Relay circuit activation (using existing or add on remote switch)
-Units of measure

- Unparalleled range of data
-Speed
-Time
-Vehicle voltage
-Amperage by circuit and total
-Heading
-Altitude
-Temperature

-Full integration with smart phone core functionality
-Maps
-Phone
-Music
-Texting
-Email"

It looks neat, but maybe even though I'm relatively young, I'm kinda old fashioned when it comes to the whole app culture. We see it at work too, where everyone is trying to figure out a way to NEED an app for everything, but without any significant benefits.

My first point is, I've never seen a need to operate something via app. Example, home automation. So many companies are trying to push the ability to turn your lights on and off with an app, or shut off appliances, but, seriously, have you ever felt that getting up and hitting a light switch is too inconvenient? A switch mounted on your dashboard is going to be much more reliable, and easier to hit than using an app, and the unit doesn't look like it will accept external switches, and only operate via the app.

Second point, what happens if it doesn't sell well, and suddenly the company decides it's no longer in its interest to support its app?

Third, the automatic relay control is neat, but how many systems would you need that with that couldn't be added by something simpler? And does the box itself save the settings and operate on its own, or do you need the phone connected to the unit at all times to operate it?

Some stuff looks cool. Like I said, the relay control, the amperage draw display is a great idea, auto-shutdown voltage, things like that.

Spend the money and let us know how it goes?

It looks neat, but maybe even though I'm relatively young, I'm kinda old fashioned when it comes to the whole app culture. We see it at work too, where everyone is trying to figure out a way to NEED an app for everything, but without any significant benefits.

My first point is, I've never seen a need to operate something via app. Example, home automation. So many companies are trying to push the ability to turn your lights on and off with an app, or shut off appliances, but, seriously, have you ever felt that getting up and hitting a light switch is too inconvenient? A switch mounted on your dashboard is going to be much more reliable, and easier to hit than using an app, and the unit doesn't look like it will accept external switches, and only operate via the app.

Second point, what happens if it doesn't sell well, and suddenly the company decides it's no longer in its interest to support its app?

Third, the automatic relay control is neat, but how many systems would you need that with that couldn't be added by something simpler? And does the box itself save the settings and operate on its own, or do you need the phone connected to the unit at all times to operate it?

Some stuff looks cool. Like I said, the relay control, the amperage draw display is a great idea, auto-shutdown voltage, things like that.

Oh mister Dork I'm as Analog as they come..

I'm not the target populations such thing, but I do find the future possibilities interesting, for sure I will never trade reliability for Gizmology..

My dad, who would be about 100 today, used to say "What, is your arm broken?" when asked why he didn't buy a car with power windows. I thought it was silly at the time (1980's) but the man did have a point. He said it was unnecessary and "just more stuff to go wrong". That's about how I feel about "Apps" in the car.

Agreed with above + I can't imagine why you would want self resetting circuit breakers. If you trip a circuit, something is wrong. Polyswitch is one form of a self resetting fuse and are avoided if possible.

I don't see any safety certifications for it listed on their website, I would expect a device like this to have some sort of certification. This thing sounds like a really fancy fire hazard.

Agreed with above + I wish I had thought to say that.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom