Needle in the Haystack! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eco 45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Base of the Three Sisters Mountains Oregon
Website
www.eco-offroad.com
Was fortunate enough to be able to travel around Japan for about 20 days recently. Was hoping to see some 70 series (new or old), but unfortunately the birth place of the Landcruiser; the 70 series are a rare item! Everywhere you look there are only "boxes"! Almost every Asian manufacture including Toyota are making boxes that are only slightly larger than a golf cart. I understand space is a premium in Japan, but during my travels I was only lucky enough to see maybe 6 70 Series. Saw way more Mercedes G wagons, 70 series may soon become extinct in Japan:(.

The Boxes!
IMG_5967.JPG

77 Sereis South of Tokyo by 2 hours traveling by bullet train.
IMG_5925.JPG

2016 79 Series North of Tokyo by about 2 hours by bullet train.
IMG_6114.JPG

The 70 series wasn't even offered in Japan for many years before the special 30th anniversary edition, and that was only a 1yr run. So they are rare but not any rarer than other old cars in Japan. On the freeways of the mainland you definitely see more Ferraris than Landcruisers.

Okinawa has a few 70’s now. I’m fairly certain I was the third American to have one. Local guys still like 40’s 60’s and 80’s, mitsu jeeps, and jimnys (the jimny is the most common, extremely capable, light weight, some have kei engines or at most 600 plates).

One thing to remember, it’s very expensive to own a car in Japan to the point of being prohibitive. My 77 was a 100 series plate which means annual inspections higher road tax and compulserary insurance. If I remember correctly, it was about $1000/year for annual cost of ownership not including gas. As an American my costs were about 1/3 to 1/2 what locals would pay. Conversely a kei car (the boxes) have significantly cheaper costs of ownership to include discounts on toll ways etc...

If I ever get back, I’m getting another 70 or maybe a 100 as a secondary and a Diahatsu Tanto for a daily. Super cool cars.

If I ever get back, I’m getting another 70 or maybe a 100 as a secondary and a Diahatsu Tanto for a daily. Super cool cars.

When we first saw the Tanto's we thought it said Tonto; of course that is right after we saw the cars called "Moco". Small Spanish influence in the household along with Japanese. My kids really got a kick out of the cars we were calling "boxes" when one actually was label a box, I think it was a Nissan. With all the new small cars driving around it really makes you miss the old 70 Series!

When we first saw the Tanto's we thought it said Tonto; of course that is right after we saw the cars called "Moco". Small Spanish influence in the household along with Japanese. My kids really got a kick out of the cars we were calling "boxes" when one actually was label a box, I think it was a Nissan. With all the new small cars driving around it really makes you miss the old 70 Series!

There is the Honda N Box too. They really are cool cars. A lot of the utility micro vans and trucks are 4wd some with a locker.

Okinawa has a few 70’s now. I’m fairly certain I was the third American to have one. Local guys still like 40’s 60’s and 80’s, mitsu jeeps, and jimnys (the jimny is the most common, extremely capable, light weight, some have kei engines or at most 600 plates).

One thing to remember, it’s very expensive to own a car in Japan to the point of being prohibitive. My 77 was a 100 series plate which means annual inspections higher road tax and compulserary insurance. If I remember correctly, it was about $1000/year for annual cost of ownership not including gas. As an American my costs were about 1/3 to 1/2 what locals would pay. Conversely a kei car (the boxes) have significantly cheaper costs of ownership to include discounts on toll ways etc...

That cost is still not bad compared to Europe,I just bought a 2016 HZJ78 that I wanted to register in Belgium. The annual road tax is 3000 Euro, there is a 5000 Euro cost for the first registration of this pollutive vehicle (ex ngo so never entered the system) Full cover insurance is another 2500 euro per year :( There used to be a time when you could get around all that by removing the rear seats and make it a "truck" but that no longer seems to be an option in this case.

I have been to Japan 5 times in the last 10 years and every time I go...I rarely see 70 series there, especially the ones made before 2007.

G'Day Fella's,

Eco 45, maybe they have all been exported to the USA, etc?

D'oh!
Homer

Probably Canada and Russia got all the good stuff and USA is scrapping the bottle of the barrel now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom