Need to get CSC members into Ham. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
Okay, I just got my `ham' FCC license about a month ago. I gotta say that though the hobby itself is considered to be quite geek, it really is quite cool. On the way into work, I talk to people from Tucson and Flag, and once there was a guy in a Heep I was talking to who was on Broken Arrow in Sedona making fun of me while I went to work and he got to play.

The radios aren't really that much more pricey than high-end CBs and point is, it would be cool if some CSC members were also Hams and we could talk to our conterparts across the State. Doesn't take too much studying (it's really more just operating procedure and common sense, not much else).

It's also an invaluable tool to have on the trails for communication back home and for emergencies. Any way, think about it, and I'd be happy to help anyone who's interested. Plus it gives me people with things in common to talk to on my commutes :)

My HOA would totally dig me if I threw up a 50' antenna in the back yard for doin what a cell phone can do.

I've been talkin to a bunch of guys on skip on the small radio lately. The weather has been killer for skip lately. I need to get an amp for the small radio though. Hoping to get into a 2 meter sometime down the road for the 60.

Plain old citizens. I was talking to aguy about 30 miles away on new years. I was receiving signals out of Sacramento and Kansas City all day on 19 and 25 that day too. One of those days when the ionosphere was just right for catchin killer skip. Don't know how it works but I was super impressed. There's a guy near me here on the east side that's running like 1500 watts on CB in his Jeep and I was catching him tonight on his way to Payson. He was hittin me hard at Elliot and Meridian when he was passing through Sunflower. Not suer of the distance but thats travelin for a mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom