Need some help with info on local AZ Trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, our kid's school Spring Break is next week (March 10-18) and as we do every year, we load the Cruiser up and hit the road for camping and exploring with the family.

I was eyeing the maps in AZ and we would really like to explore the area around the Grand Canyon's North Rim. Reading the Arizona Backroads & 4WD Trails Guide (Charles Wells & Matt Peterson) I can see there are plenty of trails to check out and places to camp.

But checking the Grand Canyon's N.P website, I see the North Rim Visitor's Center is closed until May.
  • Does this mean that the roads within the N.P are also closed?
  • Are these trails accessible at all this time of the year?
  • I'd appreciate any comments from the locals regarding trail accessibility, suggestions for nice routes to take, good camp spots and any other tips you might have.

We like wild camping in remote places, have no problem traveling on our own, but living in Houston I've never had to contend with deep snow (I don't even know if that would be an issue this time of the year around the Grand Canyon?).

The rig is a 2003 100 Series. Lift, 33' AT Tires, bumpers, sliders, winch, OPEN diffs. Looking more for an overland type of trip (White Rim Trail in UT or San Juan Mountains in CO-style) than a heavy wheeling one since we will be by ourselves.

Thanks for your input!!

Due to elevation, snow depth generally would not permit travel in that area this time of year. I would not recommend attempting it unless you are in a group even though we have not had much snow this year. The NP will be closed.

If you still want to try the northern part of the state a nice trip is to White Pocket and should be passable in your rig. Southern Utah is always a good bet as well but cannot vouch for road conditions this early.

Due to the time of year, and if you are not in a group, I don't think I would try it without a winch. You also need to be very cautious with the weather. Today could be gorgeous and then you wake up with 2 feet of snow in the morning. It is Arizona and the weather here is very unpredictable in spring or late fall, especially in the northern part of the state.

Instead, while not isolated, you may wish to consider the Verde Valley/Sedona. Gorgeous scenery and the weather is not quite as unpredictable as it relates to snow.

Due to elevation, snow depth generally would not permit travel in that area this time of year. I would not recommend attempting it unless you are in a group even though we have not had much snow this year. The NP will be closed.

If you still want to try the northern part of the state a nice trip is to White Pocket and should be passable in your rig. Southern Utah is always a good bet as well but cannot vouch for road conditions this early.

Due to the time of year, and if you are not in a group, I don't think I would try it without a winch. You also need to be very cautious with the weather. Today could be gorgeous and then you wake up with 2 feet of snow in the morning. It is Arizona and the weather here is very unpredictable in spring or late fall, especially in the northern part of the state.

Instead, while not isolated, you may wish to consider the Verde Valley/Sedona. Gorgeous scenery and the weather is not quite as unpredictable as it relates to snow.

Thanks for the info Azca. I talked to the N.P's headquarters and Tuweep Ranger Station yesterday and they said that Toroweep Overlook is open and dry but the rest of the roads in the N.P, as you state, are closed. I do have a winch, but I understand it would not be safe to travel alone if there is any possibility of the weather turning on us, so we've decided we'll leave this trip for summer as to be able to explore the area properly (and more likely with a couple of other rigs/friends). Thank you anyway for chiming in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom