Need radiator Help!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, today my radiator had it. it has been leaking for about a week, then today, it just spewed antifreeze all over the place and started overheating.
It looks like it is leaking where the plastic? top meets the metal radiator part.
can that be fixed? if not, where can I get another radiator for less than my first born son?

thanks
Kent

See the metal fingers that hold the tank to the core? You can use an appropriate sized metal punch and a hammer and try to tighten them up. This will only help if the leakage is due to the finger clamps loosening up. If it is leaking due to a failed oring or cracked tank, then you are pretty much out of luck. Really would not be worth the expense to pay a radiator shop good money to remove and replace oring and tank on a 15 year old radiator, presuming your core is original.

Try calling cruiserdan, aka Dan of American Toyota @ 800.432.6668, ext.8. If you mention the 'Mud forum he'll give you the discount price on OEM. He will be helpful and knowledgeable regarding your Cruiser's needs.

My only connection to him is as a highly satisfied customer. There are other dealers who also offer discounted prices to TLCA members, though I don't recall which ones just off the top of my head.

Well, I talked to Cruiserdan today. A new radiator will be about $500 shipped to me.:crybaby:
He said that it is a pain in the butt to take it out. anyone ever do it? I need some guidance on this.
I am hoping to get it out the evening and see exactly where the leak is coming from. Then I can figure out if I need a new one or can repair this one.
Wish me luck!

Kent

I just replaced my radiator on my '91 a month or so back. It is not fun, but there are 2 really good posts on this site that will help you. One of them even gives you a list of tools you need. Do a search on "radiator replacement" in the 80 forums.

The hardest part of it is getting to the 2 mounting bolts behind the headlight assembly. Make sure you have a a wobble extension and also a u-joint. I also removed the screws on the headlight assemblies closest to the middle of the truck so I could get my fat fingers in there and get the socket on the head of the bolt.

Let me know if you need more help.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom