Need me some Elevation ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kowboy,

Saw your post about your lock n' roll. It reminded me of this post Expedition Portal Forum - View Single Post - What multi axis hitch do you prefer? in this thread What multi axis hitch do you prefer? - Expedition Portal Forum. Basically the guy had the exact same failure. It makes for an interesting read as they talk about that particular failure.

Here is the pic from the post-

LnRFailure.jpg

Thanks Chris. :cheers:

Looks like I'm fawked judgin' by that thread. :rolleyes:

I thought the whole purpose of the friggin' hitch was for off-road ... which certainly includes alot of jack-knifin'.

I wonder if'n I'll ever hear from the manufacturer. :meh:

...And thanks to all that complimented my trip report ... I 'preciate it. :beer:

:flamingo:

Very inspirational trip report... I would love to do that with my son when he's a lil older.

What did y'all use for figgerin' your way around as far as maps and stuff?

What did y'all use for figgerin' your way around as far as maps and stuff?

Thanks! ... but ya gotta read closer: :flipoff2:

From post #52:

... our "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" 2nd edition by Charles A. Wells ...

From post #57:

... Our "Colorado Road & Recreation Atlas" by Benchmark Maps ...

When used in conjunction with each other ... a Fella's got all he needs. :cool:

Just heard back from the manufacturer of my hitch:

"We have recently found out that jackknifiing a trailer will twist our present design. In about 4 to 6 weeks we will be coming out with a new design to remedy this. Our timeline depends on the test lab's schedule.

with apologies,

Ralph Russell"

No s***. :rolleyes:

Just heard back from the manufacturer of my hitch:

"We have recently found out that jackknifiing a trailer will twist our present design. In about 4 to 6 weeks we will be coming out with a new design to remedy this. Our timeline depends on the test lab's schedule.

with apologies,

Ralph Russell"

No s***. :rolleyes:

Spy shot of their new prototype:

newhitch.jpg

Could be! :grinpimp:

I'd of hated listenin' to a pintle hook clankin' 'round for two weeks. :rolleyes:

Here's my reply to the manufacturer: :meh:

"Thank you very much for your reply sir.

The reason I built my custom trailer ... and purchased your hitch ... was for use in off-road situations. I purposely made the trailer tongue long enough so that jackknifing it would be possible and this was often necessary during my 2-week, 4-wheelin' trip in Colorado.

I was unaware that your product would fail under these conditions. Furthermore, I was naive enough to think your product would last for more than one trip and the coupler is welded to the tongue for strength. I now have to burn it off, replace it with something, and repaint the trailer. I have attached a picture of my rig and two of the damaged hitch.

I do not have another trip planned for this trailer in the next 4 to 6 week timeframe you reference and I'm now anxious to see your new design and how it will eliminate the current design flaw.

Is your company planning on standing behind your original inferior design and willing to replace it with the newer design ... or are all the original buyers just screwed?

Many, many people on a very large off road-specific internet site have followed along with the build-up of my unique trailer, my trip to Colorado, the resulting failure of your hitch ... and now also await to see your response to this situation.

Thanks,

Kevin 'Kowboy' Holt"

The saga continues ... :popcorn:

Luckily Todd (texaslawman) had me install one of these on his trailer when I built it, and he found this thread prior to me ordering mine LNR hitch.

I was leary of the clanging of the pintle hitch on the 4runner also, but suprisingly, I almost didn't know the trailer was behind me at all (unless I was headed uphill on the highway:crybaby:). I was very happy with the way it performed.

Todd's hitch had no issues on the trip either, but we were already aware of the problem so we were especially carefull in full jack knife situations.

The pintel does twist and drop to some degree, but never had any issues with it binding like the guys on Exp-Port talking about.

Last edited:
Since my trailer started it's life as a military trailer, it had a pintle thangy on it. It's now sittin' in my shop and is for sale. :rolleyes:

It ain't gonna go back on my trailer. :meh:

Last edited:
My Lock and Roll Survived no damage but I was aware of the issue and tried to be careful. Im interested In what they say its a pain worring about how far is too far.:eek:

Thanks KOWBOY, great trip report.:clap:

Sir this is a great write up of your trip!

I was telling and showing some of the pictures of your report to my wife.

I don't think she would be good candidate for this trip.

I enjoyed the report and the fact that you got to see the origins of the RIO GRANDE.

I never seen it like in your pictures.

Great trip and glad that everything went well for you guys!
Did Tincup in the 80, going from Tincup to St. Elmo, and then back over via Hancock Pass and back into Crested Butte.

My buddies and I have done most of these trails, tons of fun.

We learned our lesson a long time ago, wives do better staying home while the boys are hitting the trails. Lot less stress and bitchin and moanin.

Excellent write up.

We learned our lesson a long time ago, wives do better staying home while the boys are hitting the trails. Lot less stress and bitchin and moanin.

Well thank you sir!

The next stop was the overlook for Whitmore Falls. Problem was that a Fella can't see 'em from the road ... gotta hike down a buncha steps ... and then back up. :eek:

Glad Josh did just that so all of us can see the purdy pic (top). :cheers:

The next waterfall he was able to just point the cam'ra out the window of the jeeper. He liked that better. :lol:

The bottom pic has gotta be one of the finest private residences in the state!! It's right at treeline before ya start the switchbacks to the top. The suspension bridge over the canyon is the only way to get to the place. It was a newer place with a lot of solar panels. Way friggin' cool. :clap:

We saw that really cool house. Might be a good place for the White Trash Family Reunion next year!

Very cool write-up sir! Got me lookin' for a 60/62 again (as well as a job) :bang:.... Although I'm looking into a gig with he sheriff's department down here :cheers:

You are in luck! We found a 60 just south of Pagosa Springs, Co that is for sale! Brown in color and needed a clutch. They were asking $2000 or best offer for it. We did not get a number but if you can get in touch with Fireman maybe he could check it out for for you on his way back to Texas!

Did Tincup in the 80, going from Tincup to St. Elmo, and then back over via Hancock Pass and back into Crested Butte.

My buddies and I have done most of these trails, tons of fun.

Excellent write up.

Actually, it was the husband on our trip that did all the fussin'--everytime we had to hit civilization to purchase more groceries to feed himself and his hungry offspring!!!

We had a blast up there. Ended up camping in the same campground as Chris and Marde. Didn't even know that they would be up there. They even bought me a shirt!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom