Need info on welding wire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
Finally I'm going to have some spare time to do some metal work on my cruiser. I have a Millermatic 135 and a CO2/Argon gas cylinder. There's some welding wire in it the PO had, but I'm using it up just for practicing at the moment. I'm going to be doing bodywork (rear sill and rocker panel) for now. I wanted to know what kind of wire I'd need to buy to do this? What do you guys use?

Also, in the near future I'd like to do a shackle reversal on my rig. I've read of people doing SOA on their rigs with 110V, I can't recall who posted the thread. Not too long ago I read someone saying they've built a rollcage and sliders with theirs, I think it was Mace. I could be wrong. So what kind of wire would I need to accomplish for SR? Again, what do you guys use?

You guys can probably tell I'm at level 0 when it comes to welding, but that's why I'm here.

I'm looking to get alot of my supplies from a company on Ebay. I think they're called IOC?

Thanks for the help.

E70-C is what you want. And conviently, it is the stuff you will find almost anywhere..

body work = .023

sliders .030

all solid core

IOC is great. I've bought two welders, three tanks, a helmet, and a host of other stuff from him and he has never been anything but quick, cheap, and reliable. I haunt a welding forum and IOC is the hands down favorite sourc of things welding, so it's not just my opinion I'm voicing.

E70-C is what you want. And conviently, it is the stuff you will find almost anywhere..

body work = .023

sliders .030

all solid core

E70-C?? What is that? A brand?

Is .030 sufficient for doing shackle reversal? I'm guessing you welded your sliders to your frame, so the answer would be yes.

Do you see a need for .035 wire for SR, just to be sure?

Solid core .023 is what you want for thin metal. Any welding store on the planet will have this in stock. I prefer the Radnor brand of wire, which I think is made by Lincoln.

I don't know what size spool will fit in a 135 so check before you buy.

I bought a welder and a bunch of other stuff from IOC. Look for them on ebay. They are great.

Solid core .023 is what you want for thin metal. Any welding store on the planet will have this in stock. I prefer the Radnor brand of wire, which I think is made by Lincoln.

Radnor is an Airgas house label, could be Lincoln wire could be something else, sort've how K-sears sources tools for the Craftsmen brand.

L-50 and L-56 are Lincoln wires falling under S-3 and S-6 type wire chemistry's.

Your 135 should have come with a large spool adapter and wil handle 11lb wire spools easy. I have a Hobart and use 11lbs all the time. Sure Arc S-6 is my staple. I was told by my local welding shop that many makers were going away from .023 and going to .025 because of ease of manufacturing and it being only a couple thousandths larger. Any body else know of this rumor? .025 worked fine for 18ga steel. Low power and 10 feed speed, slow even perfect beed. Way to much fun.

BTW, if you want .035 switch to solid core. You will get better penetration..

Or switch to pure CO2

I've already ordered .030 from IOC, lemme see if I can add on to it.

EDIT: My weld parameter chart will only let me use .030 & .035 flux core wire to weld up 3/16 thick.

Should I ignore the chart?

Last edited by a moderator:
And it wants flux core both..

like I said, for sliders and thicker stuff with small machines use .035 flux core..

I'll go with .035 flux just to be safe.

I'll go with .035 flux just to be safe.

You do understand that flux core and solid core wires are interchangable, and they're not interchangable.

You need to change the welder polarity when going back and forth between them (it's on the right hand side of the chart you posted), and you don't need gas with flux core but do need it with solid core.

Certain types of Flux core use gas...

But it is not something that a Lowes or Home depot will sell.

On the right hand side of his picture it describes the polarity issue..

You do understand that flux core and solid core wires are interchangable, and they're not interchangable.

You need to change the welder polarity when going back and forth between them (it's on the right hand side of the chart you posted), and you don't need gas with flux core but do need it with solid core.

Yes I do, right now I'm looking for .035 flux core wire on IOC. I just can't figure out the size of the spool because mine accepts an 8" spool.

I want to say 35 lb..

Ahh, thats the info I was looking for.

Do you guys know if the liners need to switched everytime I switch welding wires? What's the purpose of it?I know the drive roll needs to be switched out.

Ahh, thats the info I was looking for.

Do you guys know if the liners need to switched everytime I switch welding wires? What's the purpose of it?I know the drive roll needs to be switched out.

With my welder, there is only 1 size of liner, and you only switch it out if it gets kinked. Your drive heads may be reversible, or you may have to switch the whole thing. Look at it carefully before you go to the Welding store.

1 size liner.. multiple size tips.. yOu do want to swap the tips out for different size wires..

Home depot has the 12.5 lb spool as the one you need.

015082233345_4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom