Need ideas for switching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smritte

SILVER Star
Threads
What I need is a solid state controller. I want to get away from traditional mechanical relays. This is going to be mostly for light controlling. Right now I run a Bussmann fuse/relay panel and I've out grown it. I like the SPod but there is no way I will put out $1k for it just because it has Bluetooth.

My requirements are.
1. Must work with external mechanical switch's. I don't have the room for a cool touch panel. SPod has a version that uses external switch's but, we know how I feel out theirs.
2. Must have at least 8 outputs.
3. must be fused or resettable breakers
4. Must be able to flow 15 amp per circuit. I only have 2 lights @ 15 amp but one never knows.

I have seen this somewhere but cant figure out where.

What about something like this? Amazon product ASIN B08PNHHC65
Obviously each circuit would need to be fused separately.
I was looking for a solid state relay but that is the ticket for a diffrent project I'm working.
The micro/mini relays, even though they have a high rating, don't have the longevity I need and I want to start loosing my row of larger relays.
Thank you for the link

For switching higher currents, you're gonna have to use a relay. The high cycle lifepsan of a mosfet means nothing when it burns up from too much current. Plus, being able to swap out easy to acquire relays is a part of designing for reliability. That's why toyota uses relay and fuse boxes. They take up plenty of space but you can change them on the side of the road. What kind of longevity are you expecting?

These look cool. No experience but they are rated for 10 million cycles and are solid state. My guess is the Spod uses something similar.

Last edited:
In other project's, I've used power transistors to control more current than I need here. I want to get away from mechanical relays. There's a bunch of solid state control boards out there (probably copied SPod) but all I find use their touch panel and I don't want to buy one just to tear it apart to use my switch's or find their using a 5 volt signal from their touch board. I found what I need on one of my random searches earlier this year but cant seem to find them now.

One of my buddies uses the Hella ones with great success. I also want to get away from the "relay bank" I have and go to a single module. That's what SPod does. When they added blue tooth control, their price went way up or I would probably run one of theirs.

My current set up uses a Bussmann power module with relays. All the relays I run are high quality 30amp. Over the years the relays would burn out due to heat. When I tear them down the issue would be carbon on the contacts. Which you see in the picture on the U-Tube video you linked. I ended up replacing the problem ones with larger remote relays and now I have a nice compact fuse/relay box with a row of relays mounted to my fender. the Bussmann set up was great but over time didn't do what I want.

These guys make some cool stuff, likely the expansion board could be triggered with switches.

I was under the impression that the solid state stuff had trouble with fluctuating current, high loads, power surge/spike , I suppose you could use the solid state to switch a mechanical for the higher loads.

I've been thinking seriously about one of these products:

The new Apogee version accepts relay inputs as triggers, so this would work with a normal switch as a trigger. It's also CANBUS so all you need then is a CANBUS switch panel I guess?

Otherwise you can bluetooth it your phone....or head unit if you want more of a modern "head unit runs the car" feel. I'd rather have a switch panel personally because I hate lights at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom