Need help with getting an axle shaft back in... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
I am beyond frustrated right now. Any of you have any ideas. I don’t think I am a complete hack at wrenching but maybe I am.

I am beyond frustrated right now. Any of you have any ideas. I don’t think I am a complete hack at wrenching but maybe I am.

Scott,
I read your thread and regrettably I have no productive advice. I would ask if you have the other side jacked up and the help of your boys? My thought is once you have the axle/birfield in where you can feel that it should engage, could you have one of your sons slowly turn the opposite tire (possibly the drive shaft) allowing you to keep the axle engaged while feeling for the teeth to possibly grab.

Good luck. Shout if you want company enjoying the frustration.

Thank you Larry for the words of wisdom and offer to help. My wife was correct earlier when she said I should just unlock the front and see if it would go in. Once I did that, it took less than 30 seconds to get it in.

Don't worry, I spent an extra hour trying to get my front hub back together. I left off the dust shield last time I rebuilt it (2017) and decided to put it back on. I forgot that it doesn't clearance the welded on gussets that I added to the spindle.

1 hour earlier... Cut to me trying to get the wheel back on and I think the caliper is out of whack or a frozen piston or something. Drive around the block, pump the brakes hard, still dragging. Tear back into the hub finally see the dust shield hugging the backside of the rotor. :doh:
3 lb sledge, some tin snips and 10 minutes later, all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom