Need help to separate transfer case.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The pics below are from the tranny and t-case from my '82 BJ42... with 4 spd. tranny.... I want to separate the t-case and tranny just for cleanup and paint... Can anyone tell me if I can separate this t-case without having to crack the case open to get at bolts holding it to the transmission? I assume I need to remove the big staked nut on the tranny output shaft, then take the bolts out that seem to be holding the t-case to the tranny, and hopefully it'll separate...Don't really want to do it if I have to split apart the t-case shell to get at bolts on the inside...

Sorry...have to post pics when I get home... can't get the url link to work right now...

Can't tell you about a BJ, but on an FJ you need to open the T case to get to the last two or three bolts. These bolts don't run all the way through the case to be exposed on the outside. Instead, they just run through the front wall of the T case.

striker3636 said:
The pics below are from the tranny and t-case from my '82 BJ42... with 4 spd. tranny.... I want to separate the t-case and tranny just for cleanup and paint... Can anyone tell me if I can separate this t-case without having to crack the case open to get at bolts holding it to the transmission? I assume I need to remove the big staked nut on the tranny output shaft, then take the bolts out that seem to be holding the t-case to the tranny, and hopefully it'll separate...Don't really want to do it if I have to split apart the t-case shell to get at bolts on the inside...

If it's a '82, then it's a split case which means you do have seperate the two halves of the case to remove it from the tranny.

Here's the pics...
The big nut on the left in the bottom picture has to come off first, correct?

a896re2.jpg

cad8re2.jpg

77cdre2.jpg

pretty red x's

seperate, beware of parts coming loose, you'll see teh bolts then. not as scary as it may seem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom