Need help, GX 470 not starting and click noise. Also transfer case ratcheting then constant rough whining sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am fairly new to this forum as I am making my first post on this forum. It's been 2 days and my dad and I tried many things with our 03' GX 470 @ 190k. Over the past couple of weeks the car started to have this issue among other things. The issue was that after sitting in the garage overnight, it's hard to start for the first time in the morning and we would have to turn the key multiple times (with a click sound each time) until it finally started. And when it starts, it starts like it's brand new :confused: and the issue does not persist for the rest of the day until we leave the car overnight in the garage (if you park it in the middle of the day somewhere it will start just fine). Basically there are no crank issues. It slowly got worse as the temperature got colder for some weeks and now it just won't start. Here are a few things we did & what's happening:

*Each attempt at starting there is a single click sound then a computer electronic type sound effect that proceeds.
*Replaced the battery with a new one with 750cc
*attempted jump starting the car with another Lexus
*hitting the battery (for some weird reason it worked until now :rolleyes:)
*at key rotate the steering wheel turns and lights DO come on.

At this point we're assuming it's the starter. But the problem is, is that it is in the middle of inside the engine. And the most work we've done to this car is change the air shocks with the champion of a cheater bar vs. rust. What do you guys suggest? Any sort of help would be really appreciated as we are puzzled at what the issue could be (could it be the starter? Relay? Solenoid?). It's not 250k it's only 190k or so miles on the car. Thanks for any efforts on the thread.

other problems on the car (any help is super greatly appreciated):

*Just occurred 2 days ago is the ratcheting and squeaking of the transfer case shifter, and then it got worse at the end of that same day, making a huge constant screeching noise on and off throttle (@ 35+mph) we use L mode. We did read another forum that there was no oil in the T case and so we found out the same thing and filled 1.4 Quarts of T case oil. There was dried oil leak on the actuator of the T case.
*Rear diff seems to need lubrication. We don't want another problem because we see dried black oil leaks on the middle portion of the diff. So, were planning to change that oil too.
-----------------------------------Do you guys suggests the front, rear, and T case oil be changed every 50-75k miles for proper maintenance?

Again, please and thanks for any suggestions we are not that experienced.

Last edited:
Starter does need removal of intake manifold. But bad battery would give same symptoms. Since it is only happening after you park it overnight it more likely the battery is in its last leg or you have parasitic drain in the electrical system.

This transfer case issue are popping a lot lately.
Its the chain stretching because of low/no fluid in transfer case. The actuator seal leak slowly and people did not notice the oil drip. Center Diff Lock does not work would be another indicator that the oil is leaking. Once it start popping you have to change the chain at the least.

good point, We did replace the battery with a new one so now it could be the starter most likely or any other component affecting the starter. If it's the starter could it have gone bad already? We didn't hear any "pops" but more like a ratcheting/squeak for the T case shifter. And then it got so worse it was whining loudly on/off throttle. We haven't got a chance to test drive bc of starter issues but now there's oil instead of none. Does the starter need half of the whole block to come out too, or just the intake manifold?

some people are suggesting that when replacing starter for GX 470 which require to remove intake manifold, that i should also replace intake manifold gasket. i am trying to buy gasket but there are more than one and different prices. does anyone know, which specific one do i need? lower upper, etc? possible to send a link so i can see. much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom