NC -> Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully I'm putting this trip write up in the correct spot, but I wanted to document the first long trip I took in my 2000 LX470 from North Carolina to Collingwood Ontario. Most of it involved pavement, but the roads in the far reaches of Canada are quite a bit different than they are in NC, and it served to highlight problem areas that I'd like to address for future trips.

I got the vehicle in February shortly after we found out we were having our 3rd girl, and my 1994 Suburban wasn't quite up to the task of family hauling duties. It does have some surface rust, which I'm not a fan of, but nothing I can't remedy with a little time and elbow grease. It had 156k miles on it and had not yet had the timing belt service from what I could gather. Fast forward to October 5th, the week before hitting the road, I decided to change the oil with M1 -5W-30 and have the timing belt and water pump replaced by a local Toyota dealer in the Charlotte area. As I made the 70 mile trip from the dealer to Morganton, NC, I pulled into the driveway to find coolant leaking from the upper radiator hose and the fresh stench of coolant kissing my exhaust manifold. Needless to say I wasn't exactly the happiest person after having dropped that much coint to have it done properly by the dealer. After letting things cool off I found that the hose clamp simply wasn't put on properly, so I remedied that, put new coolant in and watched my temp gauge. I contacted Toyota and they did right by me and had a tow truck come out and pick it up and make sure that nothing else was loose and make sure to do a pressure test and check for any other leaks.

Thursday October 10th, 1 day before we were scheduled to depart on our trip to Canada, and the same day Hurricane Michael affected the Carolina's, someone decided that they wanted to play bumper cars. Unfortunately for them, a Honda Crosstour isn't really well equipped to come out of that scenario without damage. Fortunately no one was hurt, but with the hurricane having just barreled through, causing accidents and power outages, the over hour long wait for the cops wasn't really something I wanted to do while I still had loose ends to tie up for the trip.

rearended.jpg

Crosstour.jpg

Friday October 11th finally came upon us, and the ride to AnytownoffI81ville, VA was pretty uneventful. As we made our way toward Ithaca which was to be our first planned stop that Saturday I noted that my suspension was in the L setting, and that I was unable to remedy the issue until I took our luggage from out of the rooftop luggage carrier. I checked the AHC fluid and noticed that I was a bit low. The closest place I could find was in Buffalo, NY which is where we would be on Monday so I didn't sweat it too much. Ithaca is a neat little town with decent wine that worked just well enough to take the edge off that comes with riding with 2 small girls cramped in the 3rd row together for hours on end.

The real treat came when we made the drive from our hotel in Palmyra just north of Seneca lake down to Watkins Glen. The weather was not too cold, and not too warm with plenty of sunshine. Sunday was to be a good day as we hiked along the crowded yet scenic Watkins Glen Gorge Trail. After we worked up 2.5 drops of sweat, we decided we owed it to ourselves to hydrate at the many wineries along Seneca lake. Though I had to stagger my drinking considerably since I was driving, the other adults in the car, took full advantage of my being the DD and we finished the day out by watching the sunset over Lake Ontario at Chimney Bluffs State Park

IMG_20181014_082538081_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181014_084815716.jpg

IMG_20181014_085905538_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181014_110135331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181014_113428311_HDR.jpg

Makes me homesick. If it wasn't for the miserable taxes and worse gun laws I'd still live in the Finger Lakes Region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom