n00b to LC's. Just snagged a LJ70 and need to get smart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all-

found a one owner 1987 LJ70 I couldnt pass up while Im overseas, snagged it to bring it back. It's rust free, and "needs" nothing, so I get to start with "wants". Signing on here to start learning and getting smart on the chassis and figuring out where to get parts.

I'll be looking for new pitch and yaw gimble gauges, 3 spoke wheel from the 1990(?), rear seatbelts to start.

Looking forward to learning and hanging out! cheers!
-K

It is, but I have zero intent of ever letting the state of california know it exists.....although I think once you title and register it in another state as a diesel engine vehicle, you can then title and register it in the People's Communist Republic of California.....

Last edited:
Doing that as well. I need it to run for about 8 months before i start the cummins r28 conversion....

Thanks all

The early 2LT doesn't have the head issues of the 1990+ 2LTE and 2LT-II. If it was well maintained it'll be reliable for you until the cummins swap. Those early 2LT's came from the factory in turbo diesel trucks in Canada. Many at 400,000km+ now still ticking along fine with original internals.

E4E4E4AA-651E-469B-817F-1FD05D598510.jpeg
E6AAD587-B0F5-4B48-B801-16247AA083EA.jpeg
B0F94E01-9ADA-40C9-B4C5-EE79D8B56FDF.jpeg

The early 2LT doesn't have the head issues of the 1990+ 2LTE and 2LT-II. If it was well maintained it'll be reliable for you until the cummins swap. Those early 2LT's came from the factory in turbo diesel trucks in Canada. Many at 400,000km+ now still ticking along fine with original internals.

Thanks. Not much in the way of service type records. 200k km on it, but its a one owner garage kept car that seemed to be in great shape and well maintained/cared for. Started right up and drove great.

Last edited:
Its missing a bracket that holds the throttle cable. Ask if its still around.
when they do timing belt/valve adjustment that gets removed, then they forget to put it back….

the rubber hose between loader and air intake pipe looks like it needs some attention.

rest looks nice!

Thanks. Not much in the way of records. 200k km on it, but its a one owner garage kept car that seemed to be in great shape and well maintained/cared for. Started right up and drove great.

Are you sure it is a one owner,I did not know that they sold Toyota's in the late eighties in Bulgaria ?

Are you sure it is a one owner,I did not know that they sold Toyota's in the late eighties in Bulgaria ?

Yeah. I have the title documents history. It didnt start its life in bulgaria. Its simply registered there right now. That said, I've seen some shady stuff happen in places like bulgaria and albania; so it's possible. I'll know for sure after I do more digging on the vin with some colleagues out here. The only check I did so far was with some friends at interpol to make sure the VIN was clean in terms of theft etc. The VIN checked out, and the VIN on the title, frame, and chassis all match; and the series number on the block matches the one on the title.

Big thing to me was that it wasnt stolen, had good numbers for import, and didnt have rust. Even if it ends up having more than one owner, IMO it's a borderline barn find at $2,400, and the story for how it got to where it was from its country of origin made sense on the surface.

Last edited:
Looking very good. Man, I wouldn't change it a bit. What's wrong with the steering wheel? Looks familiar-isn't it the right one for the year?

IMO it's a borderline barn find at $2,400,

Damn near stole it yourself at that :p

Great looking Cruiser, I always liked the round headlight LJ's better than the later ones. With a modern 4cyl diesel swap it will be one of the best SWB 4x4's never made. With more 2L-T powered vehicles turning up in North America you should get good money for the old motor when you pull it too.

Cheers
Clint

Damn near stole it yourself at that :p

Great looking Cruiser, I always liked the round headlight LJ's better than the later ones. With a modern 4cyl diesel swap it will be one of the best SWB 4x4's never made. With more 2L-T powered vehicles turning up in North America you should get good money for the old motor when you pull it too.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks Clint. Thats the hope. And yeah, I cant argue the find. Just need to learn. It has a nitro gas ironman lift on it right now that is a little tired. I think Im going to go with the dobinson lift, but have not decided yet. Looking at ironman foam cell; ome; and dobinson. Dobinson has the higher lift and weight capacity from the ironman; and while i like ome, the 40-45mm may not be enough for the 33’s once the rest of the gear make it onto the truck. Im gathering dobinson and ome are better quality than ironman anyway.

Im trying to find a weight on the 2LT. The cummins repower is 500lb, but being an old school diesel im guessing the 2lt isnt far off of it. How are the transmissions in these?

Looking very good. Man, I wouldn't change it a bit. What's wrong with the steering wheel? Looks familiar-isn't it the right one for the year?

Hahaha. Yeah it is. I just really like 3spokes better than 2 spokes. Preference thing.

Sweet truck and deal.

LHD? Enlighten me. Also, being from California, it is best that they have no idea it exists.

Im trying to find a weight on the 2LT. The cummins repower is 500lb, but being an old school diesel im guessing the 2lt isnt far off of it. How are the transmissions in these?

I think its a G52 ,same as that used in 4runners, Hilux etc. Seems to be a solid transmission and the t/case is the same as the heavy duty models.
The gearbox model code is on an aluminium plate on the firewall.
If its got a good body its worth keeping it all original. I predict these will reach giddy heights of price. At least keep it all Toyota.

I think its a G52 ,same as that used in 4runners, Hilux etc. Seems to be a solid transmission and the t/case is the same as the heavy duty models.
The gearbox model code is on an aluminium plate on the firewall.
If its got a good body its worth keeping it all original. I predict these will reach giddy heights of price. At least keep it all Toyota.

Body is great on it. I plan on keepig the thing for a long while, so dont mind goig different with a cummins. That said, another toyota diesel wouldnt be bad either, i suppose.

Good info about the trans. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom