My T100 project truck - HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cbbr

SILVER Star
Threads
So I just picked up a 1996 T100 4wd base model and it is rough. The price was right (free) and it runs great, but everything is suspect - 240K miles, no service history. I drove it 120 miles today (yes, I had a chase truck) to get it home, and the following don't work - 1) the radio (aftermarket junk) 2) the A/C blows cool, but not cold. 3) the cruise control. Everything else seems to work great. And those are generic things that I will replace soon.

So here is what I want to do first and would like suggestions on how to accomplish -

1) check known model specific potential issues - The radiator and water pump were recently replaced. It may burn a little oil. That is all I know currently. So where should I begin?

2) The seats suck. What fits?

3) tires/wheels. They suck too. So again - what fits & what is the best way to lift it? I would like to run 35's if possible.

4) and along that line - the suspension. Gotta go higher, but how much and how.

This will be a basic trail truck, not a Pirate 4x4 level truck. BTDT, don't need that level of crawler (or the price/headaches) and I want it to be reliable. Use will be from mud to desert, but mostly trails.

Last edited:
Free is usually a good price point. AC may need just a little Freon bump. Cruise could simply be the little switch behind the clutch or it could be a little deeper…does it have ABS? Radio, well that’s usually something I’d swap straight away anyway. WallyWorld and other big box stores usually have a combo package consisting of a radio, round door speakers, and likely a set of 6x9s with a sub $200 price point. The 6x9s would need retrofitting using thin paneling or something of that nature. Street sign gauge thick aluminum works as well if you can cut it clean.

As for suspension and lifts, the T100 is kind of own it’s own. I think it is similar to the Tacoma and Tundras of that year range enough so that some things swap. If it’s a v6 you could stick in Tundra coils up front on Tundra struts with the T100 top hat. If it’s the 2.7l then use v6 Tundra coils on the Tundra strut.

Rear lift would need a little researching. I’d stay away from blocks and AALs if at all possible since the existing leaves are old and tired. Cross reference against any Tundra leaf springs and see if the lengths are similar even though the rear hanger may be different. You can build a beefy multi pack from a junkyard Tundra and reuse the long leaf from the T100 fairly easily. I did a new setup on my Tacoma in just a few hours with two sets of Tacoma’s and that was including fresh paint. You’ll need to rerun the stock slider pieces or buy some stick on ones.

Any pics? What motor and tranny?

20210702_174959.jpg
20210702_174941.jpg
20210702_175118.jpg

I have 1997 4x4 purchased new in 1997 my inputs below. Also if you are on facebook join the T100 group "Toyota T100 Forums" more info their and folks to help answer questions.

2) The seats suck. What fits? Nothing directly fits anything will need modification. About 300 to 400 per seat a good shop can rebuild what you have auto upholstery

3) tires/wheels. They suck too. So again - what fits & what is the best way to lift it? I would like to run 35's if possible. Backspacing is your main concern factory you can fit a 285/75/16 you will get little rub on full steering lock. 35 will not fit with out lift

4) and along that line - the suspension. Gotta go higher, but how much and how. two companies used to make lift for truck but anything now days is likely custom fab work. No one that I know of makes lifted rear springs. Total Chaos makes lift for front but it is not cheap as it requires you to go to coil overs, welding, etc....

This is picture of my truck factory suspension with 285/75/16 tires. I was able to go just about any place I wanted minus major rock crawling and that was more issue of open diffs. Good Luck.

img016.jpg

Yours looks great! I am looking at the Superlift 4-5 inch lift (and probably a rear spring swap rather than the blocks) along with a small body lift. I think that 35's are doable with that and a possible re-gear. The clearance would be useful for some of the paces that I will take it. First it will be full general mechanics/tune up.

Nice! I just got a Free100 too! Manual transmission. But the head gaskets are toast.
I think they look good with the 5 spoke Tundra wheels. Can usually find them for cheap.
2" body lift and some trimming and you should be able to fit a bigger tire. Maybe not 35s. Does someone make a ball joint spacer for up front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom