My "Slow Down" Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked this little guy up the other day, Its an old Radar Sign Trailer. Thought it would be a good base for a light expedition style trailer. Might be a while before I can get to involved with it but planning on making the rack on top sit flat and mount my RTT to it. Has good ground clearance now but maybe larger tires at some point with a fender modification. Was designed to sit unattended on the side of the road so already has legs that fold down in the rear and the tounge wheel should keep it stable(ish) when not attached to a vehicle. What do ya think?

6231703025_33020bf2d5_z.jpg

Nice find!

Is it just an empty box inside, or how is it partitioned?

Just an Empty box, good size locking doors on both sides and a small plexiglass window in the back.

6231702181_8940f203e0_z.jpg

Interesting find. Any idea what the rated capacity of the axle is?

That will give you some idea how far you can take things without bigger mods. It would be sweet if it was a 3500# under there already, but could be the "radar trailer special," too.

1500 lb

A 1500# axle doesn't give you a lot of overbuild to deal with rough trails. And I'd be suspicious of the spring hangers and shackles holding up on such a light duty axle. However, for light duty with a reasonable load, you should be OK for now.

However, the axle is a weak link that will limit the extent of the upgrades and your cargo capacity. You can get a new 3500# pretty cheap, but then upgrading the mounts, etc is going to be necessary I think. Such an axle may sound like overkill, but it's pretty much the standard axle for 1/4 ton trailers. It'll let you run full-size tires, too.

Great find. If you actually plan on using it on anything rough the 3500# option for your axle might be worth it. However, I find I am spending more time on dirt roads than real trails when I have my trailer with me. YMMV.

Great start, thats got a lot going for it.

Drew

Very cool find. What are the box dimensions?

Not planning on getting to crazy with it, just a fun little, hopefully simple project.

Box is 58" long X 48" Wide X 39 High.

As far as putting full size Wheel/Tire on there, can I just get any? 15" wheel with the correct bolt pattern and back spacing. I.E. nothing fancy with the trailer axle hub? Looks like 5 on 4.5.
The fenders just unbolt from the frame too.

6261569405_76efab039b_z.jpg

Also has a extended tounge installed by the PO. Rides really good but is bolted/pinned in place so it can be taken back to original length.
6261569415_d6951aaf66_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom