My Quest for Early FJ40 Bench Seat Headrests (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kayaker

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ve been looking for OEM headrests for the stock front bench seats in my 1972 FJ40 ever since I discovered that the seats are equipped with headrest brackets from the factory. After searching all the usual used parts suppliers for years, I finally decided that Toyota headrests for my model year were just too few and too much in demand for me to ever snag a pair for my vehicle. I finally started looking at other vehicle headrests in hopes of finding some that were compatible with the existing brackets. The key was the diameter (under 1/2" - .485” to be exact) and the width (7 7/8”) between the posts. Length is also a factor but less so.

It occurred to me that a trip to the junk yard would be an exercise in futility with all the makes and models out there. I needed a proper data base to search. A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled onto a dealer on eBay that actually posted photos of the headrests in stock and included a tape measure in each photo so that customers could see the diameter of the posts, their distance apart and the color and configuration; what a novel idea!

After looking through the stock listed on eBay, I ran across headrests for a “1999-2003 Nissan Quest rear driver side passenger” (although it appears all positions are the same) that looked hopeful. I decided to give the two toned grey leather a try. It appeared, from the photos, to be a good match for the grey vinyl of my Cruiser Corps replacement seat upholstery.

The head rest (I only ordered one since it was an experiment) arrived in a few days in excellent condition just as in the dealers photo (ignore those tags sticking out in photo one below, I pulled those out and they tuck back in easily) . I was pleased with the color match (see the images below) and the dimensions appeared to be pretty close to what I needed.

I popped the seat backs off and attempted to insert the posts into the brackets from the bottom which was easy to reach. The distance between the posts was about 3/8” too narrow for the brackets however the posts, after a good cleaning, slid snugly into the plastic guides/holders in the seat back. Adjustment time: a quick trip to the shop with my tape measure and head rest in hand found my head rest secured in my bench vice by one pole. I gave the other a gentle tug – it took some effort; the poles are stout. I separated the poles to an 8” spread then, slipped a ¾” galvanized pipe over the pole secured in the vice (as close to the padded section as possible) and slowly bent the pole back towards my 7 7/8” goal. I repeated for the other pole so that the gentle bends would be symmetrical; perfect!

Back in the garage I loosened the brackets (they are minimally adjustable; maybe an eighth of an inch) inserted the poles from the bottom and then retightened the brackets. From the top of the seat, I could feel the bracket holes beneath the vinyl so, aligning the poles with the depressions, I cut a small x with my Exacto knife, a bit smaller than the diameter of the post. I shoved the posts through the x cuts and I was in business! The plastic brackets have a metal attachment that is obviously designed to fit into a slot or groove cut into the back of the pole. I debated grinding slots into the poles, but after inserting the poles it was obvious that the metal attachment provided so much tension on the pole that no slot was necessary. If, in the future, the headrest starts to slip, I’ll pop it out and groove the poles.

I ordered my headrests from an eBay dealer by the unlikely name of “fragosoatp.” Here’s a link to the dealer and the Nissan headrest I used: 99-03 Nissan Quest Rear Driver Passenger 2nd Row Headrest Leather Gray 13R246 | eBay

My total investment in this little project was a whopping $23.99. Shipping was free – try getting that from SOR. It took me about an hour and a half and was about as smooth a project as I’ve ever done on my Land Cruiser in the 47 years I’ve had her – except maybe those rear lift gate assist springs…..

Overall, I’m pleased with the find. The fit is good, but I’m short so someone taller may find the poles too short to reach the ideal height. Color match was amazingly good (see image 4 below). The grey vinyl may be a good match as well. My only complaint is the position of the headrest on the seat back. It’s a little farther back than would be ideal, but is a lot better (safety wise) than not having a support. I may do a second slight bend in the poles to bring the support forward an inch or two.

So, there you have it. My “Quest” is over and I have a headrest on the passenger side. Now I’ve got to order a second matching headrest for the driver’s side before you guys buy them all. Here are the photos:
IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0096.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done!

I took a peek at your media pictures to see more of the ‘72.... Picture of you/40 and then girlfriend to you/40 now wife is priceless :cheers:

Nicely done!

I took a peek at your media pictures to see more of the ‘72.... Picture of you/40 and then girlfriend to you/40 now wife is priceless :cheers:

Thanks for the compliment. I've seen that image re-posted (has to be by Mudders) on other websites as well. Of all the images I've ever posted, that one seems to be the favorite.

After a successful trial run I ordered a matching headrest for the driver's side. Now I have matching headrests for the stock 1972 (pre buckets) seats. Here are some pics of the finished products installed. The second headrest took less than 15 minutes to adjust and install after having the passenger side under my belt. I've included some photos of the headrest adjustment process (the bench vice and a 4' long length of 1/2 " galvanized pipe. Not bad for a total project cost of $48.
IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3193.JPG
IMG_3194.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom